John Brown's Painted Axis and Allies Pieces

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Cyanight, I agree with you about the brush. It was definitely my friend for decals. :-D

Well guys, I’ve started priming for the second phase of the Luftwaffe. This next scheme will be the green camo scheme, and will have 27 planes in it. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, I will have it done and post some pictures.

Wish me luck, because I will probably need it, LOL! :-D

• '16 Customizer

I’ll be waiting with anticipation!

@Spitfire38:

I’ll be waiting with anticipation!

I just hope they turnout alright. We shall see, LOL! :-D

• @John:

In order for me to be a better painter, I have to ask these questions, because of my inexperience.

No worries - we all started somewhere at the same point!  One little tip I’ve learned from painting miniature soldier figures is if there is a light color to go on (like a yellow cuff or red lapel) over a dark base color such as blue, black or dark green, is to paint that area white first, then when it’s dry, paint the red or yellow color over the white.  Makes it really stand out.  That is how I would tackle a yellow nosed 109

Personally I always do cockpit frames etc last YMMV

@Albert:

@John:

In order for me to be a better painter, I have to ask these questions, because of my inexperience.

No worries - we all started somewhere at the same point!  One little tip I’ve learned from painting miniature soldier figures is if there is a light color to go on (like a yellow cuff or red lapel) over a dark base color such as blue, black or dark green, is to paint that area white first, then when it’s dry, paint the red or yellow color over the white.  Makes it really stand out.  That is how I would tackle a yellow nosed 109

Personally I always do cockpit frames etc last YMMV

Thanks Albert, I appreciate the tip. :-)

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Nice work man, keep it up…. 8-)

@dangermouse650:

Nice work man, keep it up…. 8-)

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check Spitfire38 work on my G40 Japanese set. He did a really fine job on them. He currently is doing my Anzac/Chinese set.

I can’t wait to see his work on those.

I’m a week or two away from finishing phase 2 of my Luftwaffe. It depends on how much I get done in the next 4 days. Stay tuned. :-)

• Customizer

I’ve put the brush down myself for a while now but will probably start back up tomorrow. I might suggest the “dip” method using either Army Painter or even just plain old Minwax Polyshades. With either “dip” I use a drill and customized bucket to spin them which allows for a more thin but extremely durable coat and shades the pieces nicely.

Once they’re dry you can apply a dull coat. However I like my pieces shiny so I don’t dull coat.

A tip I always suggest to people who want to practice painting first is to buy some “Dollar Store” army men to practice your craft on. If you screw up it’s no biggie and it’s a lot of fun!

@toblerone77:

I’ve put the brush down myself for a while now but will probably start back up tomorrow. I might suggest the “dip” method using either Army Painter or even just plain old Minwax Polyshades. With either “dip” I use a drill and customized bucket to spin them which allows for a more thin but extremely durable coat and shades the pieces nicely.

Once they’re dry you can apply a dull coat. However I like my pieces shiny so I don’t dull coat.Â

A tip I always suggest to people who want to practice painting first is to buy some “Dollar Store” army men to practice your craft on. If you screw up it’s no biggie and it’s a lot of fun!

Thanks Tolerone for your tips. Any help is much appreciated. I think everyone is going to like this next batch. I’ve improved tremendously from the last batch. I’m doing the noses, stripes and cockpits, as we speak.

Even my wife says, “you have improved tremendously.”

I’ve been taking advice from a lot of people. The biggest thing I have improved is patience and taking my time, and it has showed.

I can’t wait for everyone to see my next group. I’m excited about them, because I’ve been working very hard on them. :-D

• Customizer

You’re welcome JB!

Guys, just to give you an update, the second phase of my German Luftwaffe, the green camo scheme, should be done by next Thursday. Guys, I’m really proud of these pieces, because I have improved tremendously, from my first group.

I will be priming the third phase tonight, which will be the desert camo, along with some cheetah and webbed looking camo.

I’m going to be a little bold on this next set. So, will see, LOL! :-D

**Update:**Guys, it looks like Sunday will be the target date for second phase of the Luftwaffe. I was able to put a lot of decals on today. All I have left is one fighter and all the bombers to do. Everything else is finished. The last thing I have to do is a protective coat, and then the green camo scheme is finished.

I will start on the desert camo, but will not put a timetable, because I’m going to experiment with this group and don’t know how long it will take me, plus I have to work on taxes, LOL.

Be on the look out, Sunday, for these, and let me know if I improved any or not, LOL. :-D

John

PHASE TWO OF FIVE CAMO SCHEMES of the GERMAN LUFTWAFFE

**German Luftwaffe Painted in the Green Camo Scheme consisting of 27 planes: Well guys, after I sprayed the protective coat, I decided to take pictures and post them. I hope you enjoy them. :-)

The first two pictures are of all 27 planes together.

It was beautiful summer morning as the sentry was admiring the skies above him, but suddenly in the distance, above the trees, he sees many shadows above it, and he knew it was too late.

The Luftwaffe came in an ambush without warning. The Raiders of the skies swooped down and torched the earth below.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 001.JPG
    Green Camo Luftwaffe 002.JPG**

The next picture is the Yellow Group first, then the Red Group.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 014.JPG
    Green Camo Luftwaffe 018.JPG

The next two pictures will be the BF-109’s and the FW-190’s.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 003.JPG
    Green Camo Luftwaffe 004.JPG

The next two pictures will be the Me-110’s twin engine fighters and the Me-262 Jetfighters.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 005.JPG
    Green Camo Luftwaffe 006.JPG

The next two pictures are the Stuka dive bombers and the Ju-88 medium bombers.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 008.JPG
    Green Camo Luftwaffe 009.JPG

The next two pictures are the He-111 medium bombers and the Do-17 medium bombers.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 011.JPG
    Green Camo Luftwaffe 010.JPG

The next picture will be the Ju-488 heavy bomber.

Green Camo Luftwaffe 012.JPG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m