John Brown's 96x48 Global 1940 Waterproof Metal Map

• It does! and I can see it can be difficult to play with that kind of distance between players!  I was fortunate, me and my buddy were both big into risk the game…but started to look for a more indepth strategy game.  We have always heard of Axis and Allies but thought it was too complex before hand.  Boy am I glad we picked up the game. We spoiled ourselves and purchased Europe Ed 1, having no clue about playing the simpler intro sets like spring 42.  So right off the hop we were pairing up tanks with tactical bombers, having the NO’s and air and naval bases. Also they had just released the new 1940 games so we got into the game at a great time!

But like risk I didn’t like the detail of the pieces drowned out by solid blocks of color…like lego pieces scattered across the board…my friend was originally against me painting the pieces…and I had to go out and buy my Pacific 1940 to start painting those pieces.  But by the end of it he was convinced …it enhances the game so much better!

One thing I like about spitefires reditions of your pieces is how he makes it quite distinguishable between the countries and there units.  Maybe it is the color themes … or the decals made clearly visiable and the top or sides of the units.  Something I might have to work on as like DangerousMouse… I search through history and want to replicate exact aircraft color schemes…and tanks and ships as accurately as possible.  So for a new player playing it can be harder for them to look at the board and really know the difference in the Brit ships and Anzac ships …or Russian green tanks and the US green shermans…

well that’s my little rant.  Keep painting and enjoying Johm Brown.

ps…I know you had sent me those union jack stickers…spitefire gave a great review of them …however I am using them to create flags on the british ships…they look pretty cool and I will post some pics of them later in case it can give others some ideas or options.  I think there are a few guys who like the idea of having country flags on capital ships or what not.  The great thing about these stickers is the variety of scale…so it looks more realistic having some tiny flags rather then massive ones on ships!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@SS:

Sweet !!! Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks SS for the compliments! Spitfire will be appreciative. :-D

@jwo1984:

It does! and I can see it can be difficult to play with that kind of distance between players! � I was fortunate, me and my buddy were both big into risk the game…but started to look for a more indepth strategy game. � We have always heard of Axis and Allies but thought it was too complex before hand. � Boy am I glad we picked up the game. We spoiled ourselves and purchased Europe Ed 1, having no clue about playing the simpler intro sets like spring 42. � So right off the hop we were pairing up tanks with tactical bombers, having the NO’s and air and naval bases. Also they had just released the new 1940 games so we got into the game at a great time!

But like risk I didn’t like the detail of the pieces drowned out by solid blocks of color…like lego pieces scattered across the board…my friend was originally against me painting the pieces…and I had to go out and buy my Pacific 1940 to start painting those pieces. � But by the end of it he was convinced …it enhances the game so much better!

One thing I like about spitefires reditions of your pieces is how he makes it quite distinguishable between the countries and there units. � Maybe it is the color themes … or the decals made clearly visiable and the top or sides of the units. � Something I might have to work on as like DangerousMouse… I search through history and want to replicate exact aircraft color schemes…and tanks and ships as accurately as possible. � So for a new player playing it can be harder for them to look at the board and really know the difference in the Brit ships and Anzac ships …or Russian green tanks and the US green shermans…

well that’s my little rant. � Keep painting and enjoying Johm Brown.

ps…I know you had sent me those union jack stickers…spitefire gave a great review of them …however I am using them to create flags on the british ships…they look pretty cool and I will post some pics of them later in case it can give others some ideas or options. � I think there are a few guys who like the idea of having country flags on capital ships or what not. � The great thing about these stickers is the variety of scale…so it looks more realistic having some tiny flags rather then massive ones on ships!

Both Spitfire and myself are detail oriented people, so I study what I want in color schemes and how I want him to present it. I send him detailed pictures and instructions, and he makes the magic happen.

My goal is to combine my pieces I’m painting with his to some day to have two completely painted Global sets with painted neutral, pro allied and pro axis pieces.

It is ambitious project which will take a number of years.

After that will be facilities and whatever else comes about.

I’m glad that the stickers are working out for you. That was my hope that somebody could benefit from them. :-)

• '16 Customizer

@dangermouse650:

Nice work spitfire, looks good on the board John. Currently working on my own 96x48, it will cover the slot cars though…… :-D

@coachofmany:

very nice pieces, a lot of hard work!

@jwo1984:

Pacific theater is looking intense John brown.  such a great display of detailed and colorful units and pieces on the board! makes me want too launch into a pacific battle right now.  Looking forward to seeing the US get painted and added too these shots.  Unfortunately the Anzac and Chinese forces are just not enough to contain and fight back the expanding Red Sun!

@SS:

Sweet !!! Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks DM, Coach, jwo, and SS.

And thanks to you too John - you really did set up the pieces “in action”! They’re looking good. They look good facing off against each other. I keep returning to the IJN disruptor camo as some of my favorite work. It’s sad to send off the pieces when they’re finished, but I look forward to you enjoying them!

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

One thing I like about spitefires reditions of your pieces is how he makes it quite distinguishable between the countries and there units. � Maybe it is the color themes … or the decals made clearly visiable and the top or sides of the units. � Something I might have to work on as like DangerousMouse… I search through history and want to replicate exact aircraft color schemes…and tanks and ships as accurately as possible. � So for a new player playing it can be harder for them to look at the board and really know the difference in the Brit ships and Anzac ships …or Russian green tanks and the US green shermans…

That’s a problem I used to run into as well. However, I haven’t played Axis and Allies in quite a while for lack of a player base, so I have pretty much resorted to painting these days. Also, they guy I normally play with used to paint with me, and he is a big WWII buff as well. Unit identification between the two of us isn’t much of a problem - as long as you have interested players I haven’t found it to be much of a hassle.

• '16 Customizer

@John:

Both Spitfire and myself are detail oriented people, so I study what I want in color schemes and how I want him to present it. I send him detailed pictures and instructions, and he makes the magic happen.

My goal is to combine my pieces I’m painting with his to some day to have two completely painted Global sets with painted neutral, pro allied and pro axis pieces.

It is ambitious project which will take a number of years.

After that will be facilities and whatever else comes about.

It is indeed an ambitious project - I would love to see the full set someday! Maybe we can all meet up at a conference someday and bring our pieces to show them off.

Happy painting (and playing) everyone.

Spitfire, that would be cool! I’m glad you liked the pictures. My wife goes, holy cow, that is a lot of pieces.

It took me about 2 hours to set it up that way, but it was worth it. :-D

First picture is the British on the Pacific side in their starting area, with China and Japan, on the brink of war.

IMG_1210.JPG

South Africa preparing for war.

IMG_1211.JPG

The third picture is forces gearing up for war in the Straight of Gibraltar, Malta and Libya.

IMG_1213.JPG

• '17 '16 Customizer

Seeing your infantry colored bases, im thinking if I like that better then I what I decided to do, which was all dark green (mainly to blend into the map)… time will tell!

@siredblood:

Seeing your infantry colored bases, im thinking if I like that better then I what I decided to do, which was all dark green (mainly to blend into the map)… time will tell!

Spitfire suggested it to help me tell which country their from, and believe me it could get confusing without them, lol.

Canadian forces already worried about the German U-boats.

IMG_1215.JPG

Japan is after Hong Kong.

IMG_1217.JPG

The Pacific soon, will never be the same once these two super powers meet.

IMG_1218.JPG

Australia just hold on a little longer.

IMG_1219.JPG

Two pictures did not come out right. I will have to retake them. I will be back.

England is surrounded by the Germans.

IMG_1223.JPG

Egypt is ready for war.

IMG_1228.JPG

Another picture of Egypt preparing for war with Australia helping with boots on the ground.

IMG_1225.JPG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m