• Hello,

Tomorrow i will be playing my first game. I will be Japan.
    I’ve been reading the forums about what to do as Japan and there are all sorts of ideas.
    I’ve made some sort of strategy that involves taking China and India at the end of turn 4, with India falling at the latest of turn 5.
    However, this involves, that at the beginning, i am marching away with some troops in Manchuria towards China territories.
    Would you say this is a safe move? Is it a common Japan move to kill those 18 Russian infantry? Or should i just ignore them?
    My plan is to go in China/India while keeping US at bay, not allowing them to take the Carolines.
    Rounds 4-6 is when i also plan to take the East Indies islands.

The thing is, i can’t seem to be able to take China/India fast enough if i don’t take some troops from Manchuria at the beginning and if i don’t attack the 18 Russian infantry at Amur.

So, my main question is, should i or should i not ignore the Russian troops in Amur?

My second question would be: When should i use the kamikaze thing? Which do you think are the best situations?

And, a request, if you have some japan tips for me please let me know :)

Many thanks,
    Alex

• '17 '16 '15

Just do what you think is best. It will be more fun for your first game.
    But since you asked, search japan playbook. You’ll find some answers there.

• What Barney said will probably work fine, since you seem to have a pretty solid plan.

I can give two answers to your questions though, but please keep in mind those things work for me, not necessarily for you too.

1. I never ignore the Siberians. I kill them, chase them down, or screen/defend against them, depending on what Russia did and what my own plans are. Since Russia moves before Japan, I adapt accordingly. Sometimes it’s even worth it to allow them 1 or 2 turns into Manchuria/Korea if you can kill them/force them to retreat later on anyway (no later than 3rd turn after), because this keeps them away from Moscow and ‘upsets’ Mongolia.
    Good thing to know: Japan can take down China + India completely without the troops from Manchuria/Korea. IJAF has 21 airplanes and it’s OK to sacrifice ~4planes if this means killing the entire Chinese (or Indian) army.

2. Use them when you can ;-). Use them to deny USN shorebombardment or to strengthen the IJN if it comes under threat of an attack so stage it off Japan and/or Philippines.

• Sounds like you are looking at a J3 attack on the western allies, allowing you to crush China first. Didn’t mention what buys you will be making, but most would probably buy 3 transports (maybe buy a mech, or save the rest), or 2 transports and a minor IC for the Chinese coast J1. You will need lots of transports as Japan

If the Russians stack Amur w/18 inf and 2 AA on R1 I would hit it with everything that can reach on Japans first turn (including transported units and lots of air power). Eliminate the threat, and help out your German ally. This will allow you to blitz across the tundra cutting down the Russian income as well. Don’t be too worried about the 6 Russian units that will pop up because of the Mongolian rules, they are easy enough to round up (that’s why you might want to buy a mech J1)

**Side note, if the Russians move everything to Sakha on the first turn then you should take Amur with all units that can reach (including some transported units w/tank from Japan). You now have the Russians trapped and will be able to hit them on your next turn (make sure your air units will be in range).

We normally see the Russians back peddle on R1 though, and start heading the bulk of those units towards Moscow leaving maybe 6 inf and AA behind just to keep the Japanese honest and from blitzing the back-lands w/tanks. If they do this then they are probably thinking about a fighting retreat, or maybe a stalemate depending on what you throw at them (or if you will honor the NAP Mongolia thing).

As far as kamikaze, use them if you get the chance. This is a defensive thing though so you can only use it when the allies attack you in one of those zones.

• @ItIsILeClerc:

What Barney said will probably work fine, since you seem to have a pretty solid plan.

I can give two answers to your questions though, but please keep in mind those things work for me, not necessarily for you too.

1. I never ignore the Siberians. I kill them, chase them down, or screen/defend against them, depending on what Russia did and what my own plans are. Since Russia moves before Japan, I adapt accordingly. Sometimes it’s even worth it to allow them 1 or 2 turns into Manchuria/Korea if you can kill them/force them to retreat later on anyway (no later than 3rd turn after), because this keeps them away from Moscow and ‘upsets’ Mongolia.
    Good thing to know: Japan can take down China + India completely without the troops from Manchuria/Korea. IJAF has 21 airplanes and it’s OK to sacrifice ~4planes if this means killing the entire Chinese (or Indian) army.

2. Use them when you can ;-). Use them to deny USN shorebombardment or to strengthen the IJN if it comes under threat of an attack so stage it off Japan and/or Philippines.

I usually let russia go to korea, but make sure I can deadzone manchuria.  Especially good idea since korea is easily convoy raided.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m