Allied Strategy of Kill Turkey First

• Thats true, with against a good Turkish player you wont even with the french portguise troops helping in r3 and US aiding in r6, britain wont kill Turky untill r9-r10. However Britain doesent not need to buy units in India for more than 6 rounds after that he can begin helping France full time.

As Ive stated before this game tends to become a race between AH and Britain, where AH needs to kill Italy and Britain needs to kill Turky.

Things that make and break either way tends to be small things. Tricking the US/Britain into buying naval protection the atlantic. If you can make the US buy a BS, thats the same as instantly killing 3 inf.

• For ColonelKurtz  - I am aware of India’s purchasing ability. How “historically accurate” is this ability ??? `
      -  If attacked, Persia places 3Inf + 1Art.
      -  I like your idea of attacking Trans Jordan on UK1. If you could combine  - 
    -  A) Removing Trans Jordan from Turkey
    -  B) Activating Arabia 
    -    C) Major India Purchase
    -    D) Russia into Mesopotamia
    -      E) France/Italy into Smyrna/Trans Jordan / Ankara / Mesopotamia
    -      F) US on the way for T4 Assault on Istanbul
      you would have a serious threat for Istanbul. If you can combine this with my earlier “Can Opener” move, Turkey may go the way of the Dinosaur.  I predict that if this strategy were employed by the Allies, A/H would maneuver major troops to Istanbul (4 spaces away) as a Garrison force. But it may be too little too late. If Britain purchased any navy/transports on T1 our of Wales they could make it to the fight on T4. I’m surprised to hear that (in your games) with all the allied help the Entente were not able to subdue the weak sister of the group (CP).  Re: Germany navy purchases . .  In my humble opinion, if you place all your units in India, no matter what Germany does they won’t have a force strong enough to take London by at least T4. I tend to ignore any German navy purchases when I’m going KT(urkey)F . It seems the German player realizes he’s wasting money and stops. Good luck in the Dardanelles.

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• Starlight Sniper, per the official errata for Axis and Allies 1914:

“While it remains neutral, the United States is not considered to be either friend or enemy to any other power, and it may not move land or air units out of the United States of America (including onto transports) or attack Central Powers sea units.”

Since it is very unwise for Germany to bring the US into the war early (unless you are playing with house ruled unrestricted submarine warfare rules), the US will not be in the war until its 4th turn. Per the quote above, the US cannot load transports until its 4th turn (or whenever it can declare war) so the US cannot reach Istanbul with loaded transports until US turn 6 in pretty much every game.

On the bright side, the US is completely unnecessary in a KTF strategy. The British should just spend all of their income in India (except maybe a transport or 2 in the Atlantic). If they do this they will have the Ottomans turtled in Istanbul by turn 7 or so and can begin the assault sometime around turn 8-9. I doubt that the US troops could do very much to the Ottomans other than maybe force them back to Constantinople a turn earlier.

ColonelKurtz: Using just the OOB rules and the official FAQ, my experience has been that a full KTF with Britain is the simplest path to a win for the Entente. It is my opinion that the simplest way to balance the game (without any really crazy rule changes) is to find a way of forcing the UK to spend in the Atlantic rather than 100% in India.

• My pals and I simply play with the rule books provided in the boxes. Next Satuday night I’ll read the book again and see what the final word is on loading US transports before turn 4. I am aware of the erratas, bidding, house rules, tournament rules etc etc etc . . . etc . .  .    etc. .
    It seems like in addition to a separate forum for each version of the game, there needs to be an additional option for what rules are being used. LOL, Imagine monopoly with this many rule problems, LOL.

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• Your group can play however they want, but the errata are technically official rule changes/clarifications since Wizards of the Coast is not gonna print out a new rulebook and mail a copy to everyone who purchased the game. The actual rulebook is super vague when it comes to America and doesn’t state much preventing them from taking most actions.

• Where would one be able to find a complete list of Errata ?? Here on the A&A.org site ??  You’re right about the rule book being vague sometimes, it’s lead to many, many 1:30am arguments. I just wish that one time, just once, they’d be able to make a game, complete, no errors, finalized manual, enough pieces etc.

That’s what I am basing most of my comments and strategies on, the rule book that comes with the game.

Re: Kill Turkey First
    The rule about ground units moving two spaces (tourney rule I think). Have any of you used it before and how does it impact the KT(urkey)F strategy??

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• The Errata are found at the beginning of the FAQ. There’s a stickied thread in this forum titled “Official FAQ” that provides a link to the page on the Wizards website that has a link to the FAQ PDF.

• All this time and I never asked the F.A.Q.s. Thanks for the link. I’m going to do some reading/printing. If it proves fruitfull, we’ll all be playing a better game.

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

• @Chacmool:

The only neutrals that should be attacked in A&A1914 are Persia and Switzerland.

I would add Afghanistan to that list.  Personally I attack Afghanistan B1 and then use the remainder with my build to clear Persia B2.  It makes me have a second way to funnel troops into Russia and also pays for itself by round 4 usually.

• Why don’t you just land US troops in Portugal T4, and then on T5 attack Spain with tanks. That way you minimize the losses. I see what you guys are saying about the math of attacking Spain, but the problem with sending your 6-7 transports to Greece is that you have 4-5 transports that won’t be doing much of anything. That is because you can only build 1-2 transports and units a turn with US. It is kind of like tecking up attacking Spain as US. It will benefit you in the long run and wont put your transports horribly out of position.

The ideal amount of transports for US should be 9-10 if you going for Greece. 3 transports at home, 3 off Spain, and 3-4 off Greece. Having an extra transport off Greece would be nice to give you flexibility.

Quick question. I am used to the WW2 axis and allies games, and after reading the rule book I can’t tell if it says you are allowed to have 2 arty, 2 tanks, or 2 fighters in a transport. In every other version you can only have 1 arty or 1 tank in a transport with an infantry.

• Transports may carry two units; the units may be of any type (infantry, arty, tanks, fighters).

• Thanks ColonelKurtz. Interesting that this version is the only one that has been different with the units you can carry in a transport since classic with either 2 infantry or 1 tank.

• I’ve always preferred the choice of these three when it comes to transports :

1 - Three Infantry
    2 - One Infantry + One Machine
    3- Two Machines

Cheers,
    Starlight Sniper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m