Turn 3 Sealion with Turn 3 Calcutta crunch. Thoughts?

• @IKE:

ROC, you didn’t mention a G destroyer buy.  Couldn’t UK2 just build a sub for sz109 and sz110 then scramble a plane bringing the sub up, now the G trannies can’t offload.  G3 vs G4 sealion can also make a huge difference when holding back Russia.

I thought you could only scramble planes from island airbases and the United Kingdom is not considered an island according to page 25 of the Europe 1940 rulebook. Was this changed in the 2nd edition?

• I think Sealion round 3 makes it very easy for Russia to stop round 3 Calcutta crunch.
    That makes it not playable by default unless allowed to by opponent.

• @Anonymous:

I think Sealion round 3 makes it very easy for Russia to stop round 3 Calcutta crunch.
    That makes it not playable by default unless allowed to by opponent.

Really? That would be interesting…

I mean, I have a lot of experience with ‘surprise SL’ where Germany only buys a lot of TRS by surprise. After buying only landunits GE1, for example, to fool the allies into thinking (and acting like) Germany is going full barbarossa.
    After London is taken, I know with this ploy Germany + (very crucial) Italy can barely hold Hungary -which is a better position than Poland I suppose.

So yes, during a more dedicated SL, where Germany also buys ships for protection GE1 (or GE3, placing them off Normandy), I assume Germany cannot hold any eastern European area.

But does this more dedicated SL leaves Russia that much stronger that they can send troops (planes in particular I guess) to India, and still be able to contest or even permanently take eastern Europe? I’m really guessing here since it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen any German bothering a dedicated SL. I’ve seen some in my rookie-years but those don’t count. With todays knowledge, those games can be classified as irrelevant to serious strategy discussions nowadays ;-).

• @madscientist:

@IKE:

ROC, you didn’t mention a G destroyer buy.  Couldn’t UK2 just build a sub for sz109 and sz110 then scramble a plane bringing the sub up, now the G trannies can’t offload.  G3 vs G4 sealion can also make a huge difference when holding back Russia.

I thought you could only scramble planes from island airbases and the United Kingdom is not considered an island according to page 25 of the Europe 1940 rulebook. Was this changed in the 2nd edition?

Yes, 3 planes can scramble from any coastal airbase.  UK could actually scramble 6 planes into sz109 making it a great spot for early UK navy depending on how much of the Luftwaffe can reach it.

• Another option is build up the transports for sea lion, but then attack Leningrad first turn.

• Russia would have to put a lot in India to be able to hold it, or are you saying that the allies could hold Yunnan with Russian support?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m