• Customizer

We had a game once where Germany took London but still lost. What’s more, London was never liberated. The game ended with London in German hands and a stack of 10-12 tanks plus a couple of artillery and men.
    The US Air Force flew over and sank the German fleet. With a large US fleet by Gibraltar and Russia hammering at the eastern door, Germany simply couldn’t put any more boats in the water to get those tanks off of England without seeing them sunk as soon as they came off the slip way.
    The US took out Italy, liberated France and moved into W Germany while Russia swarmed over the Balkans and Scandanavia. Berlin was simply squeezed out of existence.
    The Allies played well that game, despite losing London. I seem to remember that Japan got pretty big and strong in the Pacific, but they simply couldn’t get that crucial 6th VC. The Allies managed to hold them off just enough.
    It’s funny. Usually in our games when the Allies (particularly the US) go strong after Germany, Japan tends to have a good old time romping around the Pacific and getting 6 or even 7 VCs before the Allies can take out Germany. It seems so hard sometimes to find just the right mix of “hold-off” spending in the Pacific to keep Japan from victory while being able to really whomp Germany and Italy. Either it turns out to be not enough in the Pacific so Japan gets that last VC while Berlin is still kicking or not enough in Europe so you end up hitting a wall against Germany can just can’t finish them off. In which case Japan wins again.
    One thing I have seen happen is when the Axis plays more reactionary and ends up screwing up their own chance at a victory. Like if one side or the other is really getting hurt and maybe close to collapsing, the other side starts sending units over to help them instead of striving for the win on their own board. This doesn’t happen often, but I have seen it. Usually in our games the Axis are very separate from board to board. Oftentimes in our games, Germany and Italy have very little interaction. Italy tends to focus on winning in Africa, particularly Egypt, while Germany concentrates mostly on Russia. Usually, Japan will only help matters by attacking Russia’s eastern territories, thus eliminating an extra 18-20 units from the Moscow defense and taking a few Russian IPCs.
    This is why I find it fascinating to read strategies here about Japan floating their fleet around to attack Egypt or the Middle East. Or German bombers flying to the Pacific to attack Allied warships.
    Sometimes after Germany takes Moscow, they will keep marching their tanks and mechs eastward to invade China from the rear. This can take a little pressure off of Japan on the mainland if they are trying to fend off an American fleet.

• '15 '14

@Base02ball:

I have successfully done sealion the past 3 games. However, the problem for me has been that Russia is very strong and it’s almost impossible to hold them off. So does anyone have suggestions for stopping Russia?

Yep! Don’t do sea lion and do Barbarossa instead ;)

Sea lion is a losing strategy unless the sea lion is heavily invited by the Allies by making the sealion very cheap or unless Germans get ridicoulous dice. Taking london with 1 armour and a couple of air remaining means that the Germans are doomed.

• I would only recommend sealion if you:

• Do it round 2 or 3
    • Have at least 16-18 units surviving AVERAGE
    • Dont loose the fleet to US bombers
    • Have super odds on a round 3 attack on east poland (so if Soviet actually stack it you can crush it instead of doing sealion, tanks in Germany can both go to London or East Poland)

• Good post, Anonymous X
    Hope we see more of you on the boards.
    I invite you to check out the league section of the boards - we have a very active league here.  You can just play whenever and whatever you want - no minimum game requirement or anything.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Thank you Gamerman01.

It would be fun to try a league game. I think I could at least be a decent opponent.
    Anyone want to play?

• You should go to the league portion of the A&A boards.  Check out the stickied threads.  There is one there for finding opponents.  There is another where you can see the standings.  I am a moderator of the league, so if you have any questions you can always ask me.  There is a private message function that you can use, too.

We play using Triple A play by forum.  Any league player should be able to help you out.

• @Anonymous:

I would only recommend sealion if you:

• Do it round 2 or 3
    • Have at least 16-18 units surviving AVERAGE
    • Dont loose the fleet to US bombers
    • Have super odds on a round 3 attack on east poland (so if Soviet actually stack it you can crush it instead of doing sealion, tanks in Germany can both go to London or East Poland)

Well said.

• Yep, well said.
    A lot of things with only a handfull of words ;).

Only one thing I think is a bridge too far for Germany:
    “Don’t loose the fleet to US bombers”. Germany can do this, ofc, but I think this weakens Germany’s defensive strength against Russia too much (in buying more ships). Unless, perhaps, if a TUV of land units in London can be saved (guarateed) by buying a TUV of ships (Carriers) no more than the TUV of the land units being saved. If you get what I’m saying lol.
    But then again, the saved units can still not be used defensively during GE4, where land units produced in Berlin can.

The USA can attack with 5STR + 5FTR + 1TAC (probably more if Japan did an early DOW). The usual German fleet of 1CV, 1CA, 1DD (subs don’t count against an air-only attack), 2FTR is not enough defense against this. 2 more CV must be built and the axis air must be on it (being unable to defend/attack in Eastern Europe).

• What about airbase on Normandy/Holland

• @ItIsILeClerc:

Yep, well said.
    A lot of things with only a handfull of words ;).

Only one thing I think is a bridge too far for Germany:
    “Don’t loose the fleet to US bombers”. Germany can do this, ofc, but I think this weakens Germany’s defensive strength against Russia too much (in buying more ships). Unless, perhaps, if a TUV of land units in London can be saved (guarateed) by buying a TUV of ships (Carriers) no more than the TUV of the land units being saved. If you get what I’m saying lol.
    But then again, the saved units can still not be used defensively during GE4, where land units produced in Berlin can.

The USA can attack with 5STR + 5FTR + 1TAC (probably more if Japan did an early DOW). The usual German fleet of 1CV, 1CA, 1DD (subs don’t count against an air-only attack), 2FTR is not enough defense against this. 2 more CV must be built and the axis air must be on it (being unable to defend/attack in Eastern Europe).

Moat of this is hypothetical under the worst condisons…

Truth be told playing Tripple A you play the Player not the game …

With that behind said you play to your strengths and his weakness.
    1 for one never telegraph a Sealion at all no sence to why should the allies be afforded the luxury of buying more defense or England and having America build a solid counter right?
    Personaly I’ve taken London with 10 carries and my only ship was 1 cruser … With England’s Airfield being destroyed and no meens to scramble it leaves me relatively safe and if I do feel it nessary an Airfield in Normandy or Holand is much cheaper and alows for  scrambling for defense

With that behind said is America truly going to spend 3 rounds of buys prepping to sink the German flet? Honestly no … because there is no way to know until after round 2 Germany
    That and after 3 rounds of spending in the Atlantic you might as well forfit and let japan win with that huge of a navel advantage

And if your still worried play smart and take over Scotland and Ireland with 2 transports and allocate your resources accordingly the game is based around having deception and out playing your opponents counters and playing to his weakness … Sealion is easy if you can properly fool your opponent and if he’s skilled at defending even England’s Round 1 buy is 6 Infantry and 1 fighter or 2 fighters and 2 infantry then it’s simple you change your tactics and go for Russia …Either way your the player so take care to hurt him where he didn’t expect

• @Gamerman01:

What about airbase on Normandy/Holland

Not sure about it but I’m saying that I think that spending enough for protection of the Kriegsmarine (in general) may just be inviting Russia deeper into the Fatherland, regardless of the interesting differences between defending with an additional 2AB or 2CV or even going 1 of each?

@Whitshadw:
    All strategy for both sides is indeed largely hypothetical, since a large part of the game (for both sides) is more dynamic than a fixed strategy can cover for: action and reaction dominate the field! That is so educational about the forums: strategies being discussed assume a certain action already. Discussing the (possible) reactions to the assumed actions is what makes it so interesting.

Having said that, Axis are largely the side that plays a certain action. The allies then need to come with a proper reaction. And even that is a lot harder than it looks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m