GTO about to go on hiatus

• '16 '15 '10

http://www.gametableonline.com/gtorpgto-hiatus

Apparently GTO is folding into Knetik and may not continue to offer A&A in 2015.

This means that a number of experienced wargamers (mostly Revised players) will be looking for a new places to play–either Play-by-forum/email or on the live lobby.

Which could lead to a sizable increase in traffic on these forums, both in play-by-forum games and in discussion.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

How has the server software been working for TripleA for live lobby play?  I haven’t had time to delve into that in detail (it will probably be Spring before I will have enough time to go through it on my own), but I am very interested in providing a place to host lobby play for all A&A games and for some of the other TripleA offerings.  This would encompass some of our players here as well as other clubs (the old CD club being one of those).  The current lobby structure for TripleA seems like a giant cluster to me, so having a better lobby system would be a very good enhancement imho.

If the software is ready to go, I have the server space ready to host it….

• '16 '15 '10

Unfortunately it is true that gaming on the TripleA lobby seems to require alot of memory and seems to work better with up to date operating systems…  But even with my old computer pbem/pbf work fine so I have no complaints really.

TripleA introduced bot hosts so you don’t have to port forward, but again if somebody’s system is too old or lacks memory sometimes it doesn’t work.

Getting a better working lobby (with more lobby features) and better hosting (not requiring port forwarding and requiring less memory) would really help TripleA.

A lobby that is compatible with a wide variety of games sounds awesome, but also sounds ambitious compared to simply upgrading the current TripleA lobby.

If you’re interested in the project check out the dev forums…

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Can we donate money to the cause?

• I wanted to join GTO in Dec. 2014, just before it closed. So i found the only other online live opportunity to play wargames (incl. some WW2 maps), the Triplea Community. I am new to AA so i had not only to study the game but also the Triplea Online Lobby.

Unfortunately it is true that gaming on the TripleA lobby seems to require alot of memory and seems to work better with up to date operating systems…  But even with my old computer pbem/pbf work fine so I have no complaints really.

I cannot say this is true, my system is 5 years old (at least), has 4 GB memory (which nearly everyone has these days) and playing online is absolutely no problem.
    Triplea offers now also hosted game, so no one has to solve this by himself. Many of old GTO players are now in the lobby (“refugees” as they call themselves ;) and show their abilities in dice and LL-Games (which they dont like so much).

How has the server software been working for TripleA for live lobby play?

The triplea programmer have done a superb job to develop this software in many, many ways. For me as new to turn-based wargames the save possibility is esp. useful, so i can repeat every game in every move/turn to learn. The second great tool (for me) is the in-built battle-calculator which is very easy to use. All in all the functions of the gaming software is quite easy to use (esp. if you are an exp. AA gamer).
    I can only suggest to download the Triplea Software and to check out an online live game, which in my opinion is a quite thrilling experience. And i hope DizzKneeLand33 had already had the time to make this exp. too  … ;)

Remark: the colors in my attachment of the game have been changed by myself a bit, because of my poor eysight.

Triplea Lobby.jpg
    Triplea-Game REVISED.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m