Captured VC bonus, and revised NO's for G40

• This is a bonus system for all the Victory Cities (VC) that are captured by the enemy on the map. This puts all the VC on an even playing field (little more emphasis on Capitals), and allows bonuses if you capture VCs from your enemy (instead of only some VCs through the NO’s). This idea gained quite a bit of popularity between Alpha+2 and Alpha+3, but Larry decided against it in the end. With all the talk of VC, how they don’t seem to be part of the flow of the game, and even some talk of giving a bonus for capturing an IC  I though I would revisit it again.

This isn’t meant to replace the NO’s, but rather to put more focus on the VCs. I have removed the NO’s that I felt were redundant, or based on the VCs (see later NO revision).

Proposal:
    Captured Capital VC (marked w/red square on map) are worth 5 IPCs
    Captured Regular VC (marked w/red circle on map) are worth 3 IPCs
    *Note that Calcutta falls under Regular VC, and would be worth 3 IPCs.

You gain this bonus during the collect income phase for each turn you hold the captured VC. If you liberate a VC back to your side you get a one time bonus (same bonus scale, 5 IPCs for Lib a Capital, 3 IPCs for Lib Regular VCs). You obviously must be in control of your own capital to collect a Cap/Lib VC bonus.

Japan would start with Shanghai (3 IPCs), and Germany could get Paris (5 IPCs) G1. If the US liberates Paris at some point then besides the Germans not collecting for a Cap VC bonus of 5 IPCs anymore, the Americans would get a one time Lib VC bonus of 5 IPCs. These captured VC  bonuses are available to both axis, and allies.  So if the US captures Rome, they would also collect 5 IPS every turn they hold it, and likewise the Germans would collect a one time 5 IPC bonus if they Liberate Rome from the allies etc……

As a side note, I think you might be able to adopt these values to the the victory conditions. Have all capitol VC worth 5 points, and other VCs worth 3 points. Then come up with a figure that each side needs to get to win the game based on all the VCs under axis/allied control at the time for an entire round.

Here is a list of revised NO’s that I’ve been toying with to accommodate the VC Cap/Lib Bonus. Some of these tweaks are just personal preference or house rules, but you could do what you want. I have used red to show what differs from OOB. This is just a theory at this point, and untested.

Germany
    When Germany is not at war with the Soviet Union:
    � 5 IPCs representing wheat and oil from the Soviet Union. Theme: Beneficial trade with the Soviet Union.

When Germany is at war with the United Kingdom and France:
    � 3 IPCs if at least one German land unit is in North Africa (from Morocco to Egypt), or if any of those territories are German controlled. Theme: Afrikorps (high propaganda value).

� 5 IPCs if Germany controls both Denmark and Norway while Sweden is not either pro-Allies or Allied-controlled. Theme: Access to iron ore and other strategic resources.

� 2 IPCs per territory if Germany controls Caucasus, Iraq, Persia, and/or Northwest Persia. Theme: Access to strategic oil reserves.

Soviet Union
    When the Soviet Union is at war in Europe:
    � 5 IPCs if there are no axis war ships in sz 125, 126, or 127,  and Archangel is controlled by the Soviet Union.  Theme: Access to Allied Lend-Lease material.

� 5 IPCs if there are no units belonging to other Allied powers present in any territories originally controlled by the Soviet Union. Theme: National prestige

� 3 IPCs for each original German, Italian, or pro-Axis neutral territory that the Soviet Union controls (territory must have an IPC value). Theme: Propaganda value and spread of Communism.

Japan
    When Japan is not at war with the United States:
    � 5 IPCs if Japan is not at war with the United States, has not attacked French Indo-China, and has not made an unprovoked declaration of war against United Kingdom/ANZAC. Theme: Strategic resource trade with the United States.

When Japan is at war with the Western Allies:
    � 5 IPCs if Japan control all ofthe following territories: Iwo, Marianas, Guam, Okinawa, and  Formosa.  Theme: Strategic defense of the Home Islands.

� 1 IPC for each territory controlled by axis (must control a min of 3 to collect, max of 4 IPCs): Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Celebes. Theme: Strategic resource centers.

United Kingdom
    When the United Kingdom is at war in Europe (awarded to the Europe economy):

� 5 IPCs if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories in its European economy (see pg. 32). Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.

� 5 IPCs if there are no German subs on Euro map (excludes Baltic Sea, Black Sea, and Caspian Sea).

� 3 IPCs for each turn that the UK has at least one land unit in the territory “France”. Theme: Great Alliance collaboration

When the United Kingdom is at war with Japan (awarded to the Pacific economy):

� 5 IPCs if the United Kingdom controls both Kwangtung and Malaya. Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.

� 1 IPC for each territory controlled by allies (must control a min of 3 to collect, max of 4 IPCs): Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Celebes. Theme: Defending Strategic resources Centers.

ANZAC
    When ANZAC is at war with Japan:
    � 5 IPCs if an Allied power controls Malaya and ANZAC controls all of its original territories. Theme: Malaya considered strategic cornerstone to Far East British Empire.
    � 1 IPC for each territory controlled by allies (not including the Dutch). Must have a min of 3 to collect, max of 4 IPCs): Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain, and the Solomon Islands. Theme: Strategic outer defense perimeter.

Italy
    When Italy is at war:
    � 5 IPCs if there are no Allied surface warships in the Mediterranean Sea (sea zones 92 through 99). Theme: Propaganda and strategic advantage.
    � 1 IPC for each territory controlled by axis (must control a min of 3 to collect, max of 4 IPCs): Gibraltar, Southern France, Greece, and Malta. Theme: Stated national objectives � Greater Roman Empire.

� 5 IPCs if Axis Powers control all of the following territories: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Tobruk, and Alexandria. Theme: Stated North African military objectives.

� 2 IPCs per territory if Italy controls Caucasus, Iraq, Persia, and/or Northwest Persia. Theme: Access to strategic oil reserves.

United States
    When the United States is at war:

� 5 IPCs if the United States controls all of the following territories: Eastern United States, Central United States, and Western United States. Theme: Basic national sovereignty.

� 5 IPCs if the United States controls all of the following territories: Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Johnston Island, and Line Islands. Theme: National sovereignty issues.

� 5 IPCs if the United States controls all of the following territories: Mexico, South Eastern Mexico, Central America, and West Indies. Theme: Defense treaty and trade obligations.

� 5 IPCs if the United States controls all of the following territories Guam, Wake, Midway. Theme: Strategic US bases.

� 3 IPCs for each turn that the US has at least one land unit in the territory “France”. Theme: Great Alliance collaboration

China
    6 IPCs if the Burma Road is totally open. Allied powers must control India, Burma, Yunnan, and Szechwan for this to occur. China is also permitted to purchase artillery (represented by US pieces) if the Burma Road is open. Theme: Chinese military supply line corridor.

France, Troop Bonus:
    When the territory France is liberated, the player controlling France immediately places up to 12 IPCs worth of any French units on the territory France. This happens only once per game.  Theme: National liberation and national prestige.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Fully support it.

Anything like this would help the VC system over what we have currently. I believe that the ipc incentive drives pretty much everything in A&A, and if VCs don’t relate to it, they are too easy to ignore.

The idea of a VC is newer than that of the Capital, its only been around since Revised, and in my view has yet to match the Capital in terms of gameplay significance to players. G40 with the sudden death win for Japan is I suppose as close as I’ve seen to getting this concept up off the ground on an official board with no modifications to the rules or VC location, but it’s not very satisfying. Capitals are a gameplay driver because they award the purse. VCs do nothing in terms of the economy of ipcs or the purse.

I think it would be better if IPCs were awarded from the purse moreso than the bank, since that would make VCs more like Mini Capitals, but basically I’ll take anything I can get at this point.

Among various suggestions I’ve heard or made myself over the years. Any of the following would be better than the OOB.

+1 ipc from the bank, for control of a VC at collect income.
    +1/-1 ipc from the purse of the vanquished, to conqueror immediately (same as capital cash dynamic, just much smaller)

And then of course there are ideas that basically do something similar, but just with more IPCs at stake.
    +3 ipcs from the bank for control of a VC
    +5 ipcs from the bank for control of a Capital VC
    or even +10 ipcs for control of a Captial VC etc
    And everything in between.

You know I’m down :-D

If it attaches the concept of the Victory City to some real economic consequence in the actual game, I think this could be nothing but positive.

• '17 '16

About VC IPCs bonus,
    do you think it could be an interesting reward if a conqueror of a not initially owned VC received a +6 bonus IPCs only at the start of his next turn and as long as he holds it a complete round of play?
    So this reward comes only after you kept it for a whole turn.
    As long as the Victory City is exchange back and forth there is no reward.

If a lost VC is reconquered, it should be a one time +6 bonus to the one Nation which fought back to retrieve it, not the original owner.
    For instance, UK captures Leningrad and the IPCs from territory goes to the Russian player,
    while UK gets the one time 6 IPCs bonus if Leningrad is still kept in Allies hands at the beginning of UK’s next turn.
    Of course, if it is Russia who retrieve Leningrad, Russia will also get his one time extra bonus on his next turn.
    We can apply the same mechanics and bonus for Capital Cities.
    There is no need to add a higher reward since you already get the opponent’s money.

So this will be a separate IPCs distribution from all others regular and NO calculations.
    VC would be treated differently compared to other ordinary conquered territories.

And players will be waiting with expectations to see if they can hold the VC till their next turn to get their rewards.
    This will somehow put the emphasis on Victory Cities.
    And it gives time to the opponents to not let go a VC too easily since the stakes are high.
    It is a 6 IPCs bonus because it is easier to spent right away to not disturb a well prepared buying strategy if at the last minute the bonus is lost.
    You can buy 2 Infs or 1 Tank or 1 Sub.
    What do you guys think about this? Still a too high reward?

Maybe it should be just a 4 IPCs bonus? especially if playing 1942.2.
    So you can at least buy right away an additional Artillery.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m