Some of them are:

-Taken 3
    -Avengers Age of Ultron
    -Chappie
    -Furious 7
    -The Hunger Games
    -American Sniper
    -Star Wars E VII

Thoughts? , Advice?, Must see?, Flops and Tops?

• Hi Aequitas .
    I just saw Imitation Game. Bloody good. Go see it. Good acting and beautiful costumes. I love the  1940s look. Are qute a few scenes of WW2 planes and tanks:3 Mk IVs,
    a  Tiger II, Stukas, He IIIs and a DO17.
    I forgot homosexuality was a crime then.

• Sponsor

Your list is missing my top two in 2015…

"Mad Max - “Fury Road” Directed by George Miller with Tom Hardy, and “The Heart of the Sea” Directed by Ron Howard about Moby Dick.

• I give you some space guys  :-).

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

And Jurassic World!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

Granted, the above looks much less inspiring than the original or even Lost World. The trailer makes it feel like all the JAWS sequels… tired, re-trodding of the same story and trying desperately to recapture the feel of the original. (Like Transformers 4 and Bourne 4 - different actors same story) The CGI even looks less convincing than the original from 1993. I will see it of course, though not likely in theaters. I wish Sam Niell or Jeff Goldblum were in it. Might feel half legitimate then.
    http://io9.com/all-the-clues-and-wtf-moments-in-the-new-jurassic-world-1663408712   - Judging by this, it is essentially the same plot from Deep Blue Sea. With some tourists thrown in for good measure.

As for the others you listed, I am interested in Avengers: Age of Ultron, if only to see where the story is going. The trailer didn’t get me that excited, but I will certainly end up watching it in the theater. James Spader is a great actor, looking forward to that.

Hunger Games has never interested me, though I have seen the first two so far. Young adult fiction is not my thing and I have found the production to be accordingly juvenile and much too clean… cinematography-wise.

Definitely interested in American Sniper. I feel we are over-saturated with current era, special forces films (Blackhawk Down, Zero Dark Thirty, Act of Valor, Lone Survivor). This one certainly adds to that number, but it looks very very good. I am confident in it with Clint Eastwood as director. I suppose films like this are inevitable, but I just wish the stories were given some time rest from reality and seep into the fabric of the nation before being trotted out as Hollywood money-makers. (Chris Kyle was killed just last year, Operation Red Wings was in 2005 and bin Laden was killed in 2011. Beyond all that, we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting these guys.)

I have heard good things about Chappie, but I really know next to nothing about it.

Star Wars VII -      I am not sure anyone knows exactly what to make of this. It’s either going to redeem the Star Wars brand from the let down of Ep I - III, or it is going to ruin the entire universe with poor cinematography, thin and uninspiring characters and a disappointing plot. The last point is probably of greatest contention since, as I understand it from a guy who follows SW stuff religiously, the writers have already thrown out years of expanded universe accepted canon for something entirely new. I sort of understand why the screen writers might have done this, but I also HATE changes made to accepted canonical information. (See JJ Abrams and Star Trek) Speaking of Abrams… with the way he handled Star Trek (and the way he writes his other shows) I have very little anticipation or hope for what he does with (or rather, does to) Star Wars.

Honestly, I am not sure if I go to see this or not. I will wait till a trailer comes out and decide then. I am interested to see what it looks like, but I have sort of given up on Star Wars.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I imagine since Universal had wanted to make JP4 for such a long time they may have asked Crichton for some ideas before he passed, though I don’t think he had any involvement in JP3 (no shock there, that was lousy).

And while I can understand Disney’s decision to start from scratch with the sequels, it’s a shame the EU has been cast aside like some fan-fiction rags. Not that all of it was great, but Heir to the Empire helped keep the SW flame and fanbase alive during the late 80s/early 90s dark ages. Too bad it won’t get any acknowledgment.

Also if you didn’t like the look of the first two Hunger Games movies you may prefer the style and feel of the last two, starting with Mockingjay Part 1. Sure it’s a cash grab, but not to the level of the Hobbit trilogy at least.

• Sponsor

“Unbroken” looks good…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlsxVfCSyQ

@Young:

“Unbroken” looks good…

I knew I was forgetting something… maybe I thought it was a late 2014 release. Yeah, that does look good.

@General:

Also if you didn’t like the look of the first two Hunger Games movies you may prefer the style and feel of the last two, starting with Mockingjay Part 1. Sure it’s a cash grab, but not to the level of the Hobbit trilogy at least.

I will end up seeing the final two Hunger Games films at some point. The second was far better than the first and I am sure that trend continues with three and four, however it is more the entire story that I just don’t like very much. The trailer for Mockingjay 1 did not entice me at all. The whole series just has not felt very serious thus far, if you know what I mean. My interest for a movie comprising youth/young adults and targeted at youth/young adults (girls in particular) is just not there. It feels like a kids movie masquerading as a blockbuster action film. Which I guess it sort of is anyway. I lump it in the Twilight category. Some may dispute that, but it’s okay.

Don’t even get me started on The Hobbit. I am not sure I can stomach going to see Part Three.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

@Young:

Your list is missing my top two in 2015…

"Mad Max - “Fury Road” Directed by George Miller with Tom Hardy, and “The Heart of the Sea” Directed by Ron Howard about Moby Dick.

Here, Here!

• T5 is coming in '15. So it’s maybe gonna be the reset of the reset…
    Any Takers??!

• Fantastic 4…Again?? Is it a Remake?
    Ted 2. I haven’t even seen the first one.

• Sponsor

New trailer for “Mad Max: Fury Road”… are you fricking kidding me? CAN’T WAIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

• Sponsor

Terminator 5 does look good…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJBZHkcALE

• Sponsor

Gonna take my Dad to see this one (In the Heart of the Sea)…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdfGWfbNYI

I recently saw Whiplash, Nightcrawler, and Kill the Messenger. All fantastic and highly recommended.

• Customizer

@aequitas:

T5 is coming in '15. So it’s maybe gonna be the reset of the reset…
    Any Takers??!

Just remember:

You can’t change the future; you can only delay it…

• Sponsor

@hkytown1:

I recently saw Whiplash, Nightcrawler, and Kill the Messenger. All fantastic and highly recommended.

Nightcrawler is one I want to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eac0lXfMs9c

A good video on how to make better action movies today, when a great many are just blah. This could almost be applied to a movie of any genre to varying degrees.

Wish he would have detailed more examples of what the bad ones are, but overall it is sufficient.

• HITMAN Agent 47 is coming. :-)

I liked the first one and also played the video game once, I liked it.

Just saw Kingsman, it was a lot better then I thought.  Very good action with a lot of humor/cheekiness. I’d say James Bond meets Shaun of the Dead meets Jason Bourne meets Austin Powers. “Yea Baby!”  Go see it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m