• http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-30051013
    World War One Halifax explosion: Unseen pictures revealed

Unseen pictures from World War One have been released showing what was then the world’s largest explosion.

• Thank you for this topic. I have not heard of this event.

• I’ve been to Halifax a couple of times, and on one visit I picked up a locally-published book about the Halifax Explosion.

One nice footnote to the story (and a timely one, with the holidays approaching) is that it was the start of a tradition which continues to this day.  After the explosion, the city of Boston sent to Halifax a trainload of relief supplies (medical things and so forth) which had been gathered by various charitable organizations.  The following year, Halifax sent Boston a Christmas tree as a symbol of appreciation for Boston’s aid to the city in its hour of need.  In 1971, the gesture was repeated and, from that point on, it became an annual tradition, with the tree serving as Boston’s official Christmas tree (located on Boston Common) every year.

• '17 '16 '15

Right on CWO.  Way cool read. I read of this in Forsythe’s “The Afgan”. It didn’t have many details though.

That was one major explosion. In recent times their was a ammo dump that went up in iraq. It was claimed no foul play but I’ve always wondered.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m