• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Interesting analysis ItIsLeClerc. That serves as an example of how this risk might be worth it for some strategies for some people.

Anyone else besides Knp and myself like the sz 91 play?

50/50 chance to win this battle, at a trade of 6 ipcs risked for 12 ipcs destroyed, with the sub always surviving if you win, and shutting down UK attack options into the med at the same time.

I think its totally worth it.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@barney:

so we have operation “All in on Russia ,Allied landings be damned”       and operation"overkill is good", which could be the same thing.

They both sound cool :)

Elk, I like to hit z91 too.  Anything to deter Taranto.

Does anyone have a really good “Operation save Itay’s bacon” opener to share?  One that doesn’t involve spending every last cent on carriers etc?  One that reliably gets Cairo secure without tying up the luftwaffe too long when they will be needed on the Eastern front?

• @variance:

@ghr2:

@variance:

@Whackamatt:

“All in vs Russia, Allied landings be damned!”

Purchase New Units:
    1 Major Industrial Complex

Combat Movement:
    z106 - 2 subs
    z91 - 2 subs
    z111 - 1 sub, 1 Battleship, 1 fighter, 1 stuka, 2 bombers (consider retreat depending on scramble and dice)
    France - 7 inf, 2 art, 3 tanks, 4 fighters, 4 tacs
    Yugoslavia - 1 inf from Romania; 6 inf, 2 art from Greater Southern Germany (retreat to Romania)

Non-Combat Movement:
    Finland - 3 inf from Norway
    Bulgaria - 1 tank from Romania
    Poland - 3AA, 11inf, 3 art from Germany
    Poland - 1 inf from Denmark, 1 art from West Germany via tt z114–>z113–>z114
    Slovakia - 4 mechs, 5 tanks
    Romania - 2 inf from Slovakia (plus ~5inf, 2 art retreat from yugo)
    Southern Italy - land some planes
    Tobruk - land some planes
    West Germany - land remaining planes, 1 inf from Denmark
    z112 - cruiser if BB retreated

Place New Units:
    Major IC in Romania

Collect income:
    $66

G2: build 10 fast units in Romania; DOW and march everything East, watch Bolsheviks run away; finish Yugo
    G3: build stuff to defend coast of France; walk in to seize ICs in Ukraine and Leningrad; kill everything

How do they land?

they came from West Germany and attacked france.

Thought it was 6 movement.

• '16 '15 '10

sz 91 is not something I would do if I’m also hitting both 110 and 111.  106 is more important than 91.  If I’m hitting 110 AND 111 then I take the maximum amount of units in case of scramble and to maximize the odds of good outcomes.  So that leaves nothing left for 91.

Re Southern France, I see the logic if you like to build med navy G2.  But I don’t see the logic if you most likely won’t build med navy G2.

Well the sub in sz 117 can’t really do anything useful other than hit 106 (unless you are trying for that 109 scramble force mentioned earlier) so basically that sub is locked in to the 106 attack.

sz 106 is a 41% chance of success, with a chance to trade 6 ipcs risked for 15 ipcs destroyed.

The submarine is sz 103 has the most options in terms of potential attacks, since it could hit sz 110 or sz 91.

In sz 110, it basically serves as a fodder unit. You can send it here, hoping that it might hit on the opening strike, but figuring that most likely it’s just there to just absorb hits from UK naval units. Only the UK naval units are at issue, because scrambled UK fighters cannot hit the sub (no destroyer is present) which means that it might not even get a chance to serve as a very effective fodder unit protecting the Luftwaffe. Still I see the advantage of taking any extra defense you can get, since 110 is way dicey if UK scrambles in full.

If you send it sz 91 on the other hand, then its just a straight up 50/50 chance to nail that cruiser and survive till at least UK 1. (And who knows, it might even survive that, if you somehow roll a 1 on defense.) If you send the sub to 91, you will know for sure whether or not the unit had an impact immediately.

Its hard to parse how it might affect the battle in 110, but in sz 91 if the sub wins, you can immediately pin an Iron Cross on that captain!  :-D

I propose that we call this play “DAS BOOT!”

Just like in Das Boot, your brave U-Boat captain might then get orders to perilously sneak “through the straits” of Gibraltar, for the added historical interest and climactic action haha ;)

But the reason I like it, is because it is a very straightforward risk/benefit play. Even the new player can see how a 50/50 shot where the cruiser doesn’t get to fire back, can be a fun gamble. It is perhaps a teaching opportunity too. Since Young Grasshopper mentioned putting together a youtube video for newer players.

This move, has the potential benefit of screwing the UK’s plans for a low risk Taranto. And would thus give an excuse to briefly discuss what it is that Germany is trying to prevent, still within the 15 min time he outlined. You could explain how sz 91, is “a risk” with a “big payoff.”

you don’t have to suggest this move to all your players. But you could take a moment to at least discuss this play, before telling the new player how 110 might be “even better.”

For an instructional video on G1 it may prove useful to explain some moves, even if you’re not going to do them, before setting up the attacks you are going to do.
    Just thinking here about how YG might put all this together into a video presentation :D

But yeah sz 91 “Das Boot” , and the “Romania Bounce” definitely in the playbook! Even if you don’t end up recommending the play, you can explain how it would work, before just taking Yugoslavia in force,  or sending the Sub in 103 to the attack on the English Channel in sz110. Would probably only take 30 seconds to explain, and gives you opportunities to discuss a bit of strategy stuff in the process.

ps. for a G1 tutorial I would say go with a couple openings. Start out on the water. New players like buying ships in my experience. Ships are a lot of fun!  :-D

The Graf Zeppelin, if you buy it, has a different series of optimal opening plays than would a Bomber Buy, or a Romania IC, or some other combination purchase they might try.

I think the plays outlined by YG at the outset are pretty solid. He had the following…

@Young:

The following blueprint may be changed according to popular opinion.

Research & Development
    None

Repair Units & Facilities
    None

Purchase New Units:
    1 Aircraft Carrier
    2 Transports

Combat Movement:
    SZ#106 - 1 Submarine
    SZ#110 - 2 Submarines, 1 Battleship, 2 Fighters, 2 T.Bombers, 1 S.Bomber
    SZ#111 - 2 Submarines, 2 Fighters, 2 T.Bomber, 1 S.Bomber
    France - 7 Infantry, 4 M.Infantry, 3 Artillery, 6 Tanks
    Yugoslavia - 9 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 3 Tanks, 1 Fighter

Non-Combat Movement:
    1 Cruiser, 1 Transport into SZ#113 / 2 Infantry from Germany into Norway
    3 Infantry from Norway into Finland
    3 Infantry from Germany into W.Germany
    6 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 1 AA Gun from Germany into Poland
    1 AA Gun from Germany into Slovakia
    1 AA Gun from Germany into W.Germany
    3 AA Guns from W.Germany into France
    1 T.Bomber from Poland to W. Germany
    1 T.Bomber from Germany onto new Aircraft Carrier
    1 Fighter from Slovakia to Southern Italy
    All surviving air units from the Atlantic into W.Germany

Place New Units:
    1 Aircraft Carrier into #112
    2 Transports into #112

Collect income:
    $39 income
    $10 National objective
    $19 Capital gain
    = $68

Here’s another way you might play it…

Purchase New Units:
    1 Aircraft Carrier
    2 Transports

Combat Movement:
    SZ#91 - 1 Submarine (“Das Boot” to deter Taranto)
    SZ#106 - 1 Submarine
    SZ#110 - 1 Submarine, 1 Battleship, 2 Fighters, 2 T.Bombers, 2 S. Bombers or 1 S.Bomber*
    (optional retreat battleship to sz 112 if totally diced)
    SZ#111 - 2 Submarines, 2 Fighters, 2 T.Bomber, 1 S.Bomber or no S.Bombers*

*note: it is possible to pair the Strategic Bombers in different ways, for example you can send both together into 110, or not, depending on how much you want to risk in 111. You might even consider taking a hit on one of these S. Bombers over a fighter, even if the cost in TUV is higher, to preserve a stronger G2 scramble defense or the ability to magnify the attack capability of a tactical bomber that survives. Its worth considering the loss in total TUV vs what the unit can do the following round. Its ideal to preserve these Strategic bomber units if at all possible since they have the most reach, but there are some cases when you start taking heavy hits, that it might actually be better to take a hit on a strategic bomber over a fighter, when your back is against the wall. You did buy a carrier after all, and strategic bombers can’t land on carrier decks, or scramble out of airbases ;)

France - 7 Infantry, 4 M.Infantry, 3 Artillery, 6 Tanks (Polish T.Bomber optional)
    Yugoslavia - 7 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Fighter (“Romania Bounce” retreat to Romania after strafe)

Non-Combat Movement:
    If UK scrambles and loses out in the trade, then consider the following on Non Combat…

1 inf from Romania to Bulgaria
    3 tanks from Eastern Front back to Germany (max amphibious threat from 3 total transports you will have after placement)
    1 Cruiser, 1 Transport into SZ#112 / 2 Infantry from Germany into Norway
    1 Infantry from Norway into Finland
    3 Infantry from Germany into W.Germany
    6 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 2 AA Gun from Germany into Poland (or if focus south in Slovakia, leave 3 inf in G to transport)
    1 AA Gun from Germany into W.Germany
    2 AA Guns from W.Germany into Denmark
    1 T.Bomber from Poland to Norway, if you didn’t send it to attack France.
    1 T.Bomber from Germany onto new Aircraft Carrier, if it survived.
    1 Fighter from Yugoslavia to Southern Italy, to cover Taranto.
    Of the surviving air units from the Atlantic, if possible at least 3 total fighters or tactical bombers into W.Germany (optimal to use AB scramble and the movement advantage the following round.)

If UK does not scramble, and preserves all fighters for defense against invasion…

Abandon the sz 112 plan and focus on sz 113 or 114. You can leave the cruiser in sz 114 if you want to ensure that the Russian cruiser cannot enter it to block your G2 options against the East. In this case, rather than reinforcing Norway by Sea, you can pull the 2 infantry from Germany back to Poland and concentrate on the eastern threat from this territory rather than Slovakia.

Place New Units:
    All ships into sz 112 if the Atlantic attacks went well, i.e. the Tactical Bomber survived and UK doesn’t have enough fighters to threaten counter attack. If something went wrong in the Atlantic attacks, or the tactical bomber was taken as a hit, then you can consider 113, or even 114 as a safe zone (out of reach of UK based air.)

I think that’s how I would try to manage a Carrier + 2 transport buy, Graf Zeppelin opening.

pps. Here are some odds on the sz 110, and sz 111 battles, with various unit combinations. Under UK scramble, and no UK scramble conditions. The odds and units remaining are for Germany. In case anyone is interested…

SZ 111 with 2 subs, 2 Fighters, and 2 TacBs (no Strategic Bombers, the highest risk!):
    Scramble 80% with ~2.5 units remaining on average.
    no scramble 97% with ~3.5 units remaining on average.

Sz 111 with 1 sub, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs,  1 StratB:
    Scramble 85% with ~2.5 units remaining.
    No Scramble 99% with ~4 units remaining.

Sz 111: with 2 subs, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs and 1 StratB:
    Scramble 97% with an average of ~3 units remaining.
    No scramble is 100% with ~5 units remaining.

Sz 111 with 1 sub, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, 2 StratBs:
    Scramble 99% with ~4 units remaining.
    No Scramble 100% with ~5 units remaining.

Sz 111 with 2 subs, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, 2 StratBs:
    Scramble 100% with ~5 units remaining.
    No scramble 100% with ~6 units remaining.

SZ 110 with 1 sub, 1 battleship, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, and 1 Strat B:
    scramble 70% with ~3 units remaining
    no scramble 100% with ~6 units remaining

SZ 110 with 2 subs, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, and 2 StratBs (No Bismark!):
    Scramble 74% with ~3 units remaining
    No Scramble 100% with ~6 units remaining

SZ 110 with 2 subs, 1 Battleship, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, and 1 StratB:
    scramble  86% with ~4 units remaining
    no scramble  100% with ~7 units remaining

SZ 110 with 1 sub, 1 battleship, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, and 2 StratBs:
    Scramble 92% with ~4 units remaining
    No scramble 100% with ~7 units remaining

SZ 110 with 2 subs, 1 battleship, 2 fighters, 2 TacBs, and 2 StratBs:
    Scramble 97% with ~5 units remaining
    No Scramble 100 with ~8 units remaining

All this just to show how much scrambling can play into the equation. :)
    Question: Does anyone ever hold back the Bismark? Seems like in G40 its Germany that decides whether or not to “Sink the Bismark”  :-D

• '17 '16 '15

your enthusiasm is awesome Black Elk      Maybe you can have a cameo in the vid

:) P

• Hey all, hey YG.

Just wanna drop in a few words.
    I think YG, if you are making a YT video, just show a standard G1 move.
    Explain the most options you have as an axis player and the joy and the fun of that game.
    Be fundamental and don’t let perfect be in the way of better.
    There is no 100 procent garant opener but the most individual starting option by trying to either take out the most of the RN or destroy all landing and reenforce options by the UK trannys.
    Good luck with your video.
    I’ll watch it!

Iwas thinking soetimes to do a similar one for the German Community. ☺

• @variance:

@barney:

so we have operation “All in on Russia ,Allied landings be damned”       and operation"overkill is good", which could be the same thing.

Elk, I like to hit z91 too.  Anything to deter Taranto.

Does anyone have a really good “Operation save Itay’s bacon” opener to share?  One that doesn’t involve spending every last cent on carriers etc?  One that reliably gets Cairo secure without tying up the luftwaffe too long when they will be needed on the Eastern front?

The one game I’ve played where germany took out my 91cruiser, I just sent the gib fighter alone to 96 along with Taranto and destroyed Italy’s navy anyway :-D

• '14 Customizer

If your going to do a J1 anyways why not DOW on US and take a shot at their CA + TT,  that’s 19 for 6.

• Sponsor

@TheMethuselah:

@variance:

@barney:

so we have operation “All in on Russia ,Allied landings be damned”       and operation"overkill is good", which could be the same thing.

Elk, I like to hit z91 too.  Anything to deter Taranto.

Does anyone have a really good “Operation save Itay’s bacon” opener to share?  One that doesn’t involve spending every last cent on carriers etc?  One that reliably gets Cairo secure without tying up the luftwaffe too long when they will be needed on the Eastern front?

The one game I’ve played where germany took out my 91cruiser, I just sent the gib fighter alone to 96 along with Taranto and destroyed Italy’s navy anyway :-D

That happened in one of our games, although playing Italy… I shot down the fighter and was left with the Destroyer and Transport (which caused a lot of problems for the UK in the Med).

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@cyanight:

If your going to do a J1 anyways why not DOW on US and take a shot at their CA + TT,  that’s 19 for 6.

then Russia stack Amur

Yeah one of things that really distinguishes Low Luck play from Dice is the ability to plan out the perfect strafe, whether on the Naval battles or Yugoslavia. It can also make the results of the battle in France a lot more predictable (also Normandy or S. France,  since you can count your pips with a lot more reliability). Never underestimate the power of artillery in LL. The inf + artillery + fighter or tank combo can be extremely potent.

If you do play LL then I would take all this dice advice with a grain of salt. LL Sea Lion is an entirely different beast, not least because of the way Anti Air hits work.

As to the other stuff, I agree sz 91 can be hit or miss, and UK does have options with the Gibralter fighter, but again the lone fighter vs lone destroyer terror is something we should all be wary of by now ;)

German DoW vs USA is interesting for the gambling man, if it’s 1v1 I’d say cool, but if teams I’d definitely consult with the Japanese player to make sure you’re not screwing them off a late DoW plan. Or at least to confirm that they know how to play the J1 DoW

• '14 Customizer

@variance:

@cyanight:

then Russia stack Amur

That’s interesting… Lately I have been having players stack Amur even when Germany does not DOW on USA round 1. They must be following my game history for J1 DOW, hehe.  I’m going to have to mix it up I guess, :)

More on the choice between sz 106 and sz 109…

There is a uboat in sz 117 that could hit either. In sz 106 you have a decent shot destroying 15 TUV. In sz 109 you have basically no chance of winning but are very likely to draw a scramble out of England or Scotland. In either case, you are likely leaving 1 transport and Destroyer alive that can reach Gibraltar on UK1.

sz 106 seems like the obvious choice, but when you consider how potent a scramble can be in sz 110 or sz 111, it might well be worth the cost of the 6 ipcs in TUV to draw a potential scramble into sz 109 rather than those other two. Basically trading the cost of the units in TUV for a better chance to control how UK can respond.

If you send the Holland fighter as well its a total cost of 16 ipcs risked, to virtually guarantee a scramble here, or no scramble with a very good chance of sinking that destroyer and transport (which means among other things that you don’t have to defend Norway, Denmark, West Germany etc.) Though this puts less heat on the 110 battle, so probably very risky.

If you just attack sz 106 you don’t force the defender to make a decision, and they may still smoke you on defense. In 109 on the other hand, you will almost certainly get smoked, but just launching the attack gives UK a very strong reason to scramble into 109 rather than into the Channel or the North Sea with at least 1 fighter.

How would you respond as UK? Scramble 1 fighter out of Scotland or 1 fighter out of UK? No scramble at all, and wait to see your counter attack potential? Given the possible wild swings in 110 and 111, I think its hard not to consider the full scramble, especially since Allies don’t have a lot of opportunities to destroy German TUV at the outset beyond this opening engagement. On the other hand, scrambling can doom the Royal airforce. How much scrambling do you do these days? haha ;)

Curious if other people regularly try the 109 gambit to draw the scramble, since it seems like it could dramatically reduce the risk in the other naval battles if you can push the UK player to scramble here and play it safe, rather than putting everything into the first round defense of the English Channel and North Sea. Any thoughts?

• Customizer

I’ve noticed a change in how we play UK lately. We usually will draw countries at random so nobody is stuck always playing Russia or Italy, although we do have one player who actually prefers to play UK/ANZAC more often than not.
    Anyway, in past games UK used to scramble almost every time on G1. Usually this results in the death of the RAF while taking a good chunk of the Luftwaffe with them. Lately however, UK tends to not scramble preferring to keep all the RAF for use in hopefully more profitable ventures. Not sure if this really works, but it is very handy to have those planes around, especially when working with destroyers to keep German subs from convoying them. Also, a good stack of 5-7 fighters sitting on London by round 3 often dissuades a Sealion attempt.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m