• Thoughts on building a IC on Borneo, playing as British?

Ive tried it, with amazing success!

It looks like its MADE TO BE, what with it having a 4 unit placement capability, you can really let the US focus on Europe, and bug the crap out of Japan’s pacific grip. Not only can you do this, but any transports placed, can immediately attack japan, as it is within 2 sea spaces of the Japanese mainland. It’s main advantage though, its that it secures the ~12 IPC you can take from oceana, and lets the Americans put 90% of their focus, and making Russia’s defence, and eventually the conquest of western Europe possible, and successful.

I know it works with me, but it requires some luck to start off. and if you fail on the first turn, your navy is screwed.

• When and how do you invade Borneo?

• @jaco3121:

Thoughts on building a IC on Borneo, playing as British?

I know it works with me, but it requires some luck to start off. and if you fail on the first turn, your navy is screwed.

It also requires your opponent to be terrible.

Even under a perfect UK 1 scenario, japan can crush uk and take borno R2 for a free IC.
    Japan starts with roughly a 2 battleship 1 carrier, 5 fighter advantage over UK in a good position. UK fleet is split in a bad position. A UK borneo IC can’t be built until round 2 and is a gift to Japan.

• You need to describe the games you tried it with success for us.

What round did you conquer Borneo?
    Where did the Japanese put pressure?
    What did US do in the Pacific?

If you take Borneo UK1 in combination with killing everything in SZ37, the Japanese kan still retake it on J1.
    And even if Japan leaves it to be J1, and move the fleet in a better position. A UK2 IC on Borneo would be ripe for the taking.

• I took Borneo on UK1, then placed my AC, with fighter, and my CB and transport around Borneo, with the 2 soldiers defending it. Japan decided not to attack, and instead focus on pearl harbor, on the American turn, he sent over a fighter, and bought 4 SS and a CL to attack japans navy with. On Uk2 i placed the IC and on J2 Japan sent his fleet to deal with the americans, and took hawaii with his transports. During this whole ordeal, he places a IC in french indo china, and bought a CV and i think a fighter too.

• If you put your AC, fig and CB around Borneo, Japan could still attack with everything from SZ37 on J1. The SZ37 units are not involved in a Pearl Harbor attack… Even the destroyer at the coast of China could have helped with clearing Borneo.

And a J1 attack on Pearl Harbor is a really poor decision in this version.

Sorry jaco, but your strategy is not “MADE TO BE”. Against that kind of player, every strategy could have worked just as well.

• @jaco3121:

I took Borneo on UK1, then placed my AC, with fighter, and my CB and transport around Borneo, with the 2 soldiers defending it. Japan decided not to attack, and instead focus on pearl harbor, on the American turn, he sent over a fighter, and bought 4 SS and a CL to attack japans navy with. On Uk2 i placed the IC and on J2 Japan sent his fleet to deal with the americans, and took hawaii with his transports. During this whole ordeal, he places a IC in french indo china, and bought a CV and i think a fighter too.

Let me get this right… The Japan player ignored a 4 IPC territory, threatening many important japan territories, and where he could take with overwhelming force. Then, the allies sweeten the deal by practically gifting a factory on that territory. Lastly, the US continues in round 2 to attack Hawaii, a fairly unimportant 1IPC territory that’s in the US sphere of influence. Borneo is completely ignored during the whole time.

I heard it’s possible for japan to end the game in 3 rounds. Here’s how it works:
    R1: Japan moves the entire fleet to alaska. Assume the united states only buys antiaircraft guns, evacuates all units from WUS and EUS into mexico.
    R2: japan takes WUS unopposed. US continues buying all AA guns.
    R3: tank blitz to take EUS. With US capital taken, allies will fold.

I can invent any kind of strategy if you assume bad play from the opponent. The only problem with these strategies is if the opponent is good.

A hallmark of a good strategy is one that can win consistently assuming the opponent plays the optimal counterplay.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m