• …take the log(or should I say nuclear waste) out of your own eye.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/10/18/canada.pollution.ap/index.html

EXCERPT
    It puts Canada dead last among the 30 countries in nuclear waste and carbon monoxide production, and 29th in per capita water consumption.

European countries such as Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and Germany ranked at the top of the environmental list,
    while Canada(LJ Note : join  the Evil Capitalist Club,) Belgium and the United States were at the bottom.

The study found Canada has shown no improvement over the last decade.
    Canada’s rank today is the same as it was in 1992: 28th out of 30.
    END EXCERPT

:oops:

• I agree with Suzuki. This is a terrible mark against us, and i think we should be addressing this situation radically. We need to make better use of hydro-electric and wind and solar (and nuclear) power. We need to use our cars less, and we need to invest in cleaner technology. This is an abysmal situation, and i hate it.

At the same time, it also must be considered that we are one of the coldest countries on the planet (even Sweden has mitigating influences of the coasts and as well as natural heating sources (thermal baths etc.). So we burn up an incredible amount of fuel just keeping our houses and places of businesses warm during the winter. Add to this the fact that the distance from my city (Winnipeg) to a city close to its equal in size (Edmonton) would take around 16-hours to drive. Another 16 hours to get to Vancouver. If i drove east, it would take over 24 hours just to get to Toronto, and another 12 or so to get to Halifax. This is the problem with having a small population scattered across a massive region. So you can imagine what is burned in terms of shipping and transport energies as well. Finally we are a VERY fortunate nation. We are blessed with the world’s second largest oil reserves (please don’t invade us . . . ). This makes us complacent in our use of non-renewable resources - not an excuse, just another explanation.

So yes - we have a long way to go, but with the money we are spending on research and our search to expoit more renewable resources, hopefully we will be at our rightful place on top of the heap.

• It sounds like Canada would be a perfect place for maglevs …
    are there any plans to built one or another route ?

• Now tax cuts by a liberal ruling party?

http://www.brandonsun.com/story.php?story_id=10255

Sounds like election eve pandering from a shaky platform.

• WOW EJ!!
    So very insightful. 
    Well,
    that was being pretty sarcastic - sorry-ish.

The Liberals had delivered tax cuts in the past, but yes - they are in trouble, and they have been since the last election.  They will likely win again with another minority government.  I’m not sure that i want them in power, but they are sadly the most “federal” and palatable party out there.  At least for now.  Having said that, i am VERY tempted to vote for Harper’s Conservatives just because i really like the guy.  They just need to be taken more seriously in the east.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m