• @cyanight:

Good Point ghr2, I was watching a documentary last weekend on the History channel called World Wars.  They went through the timeline and started with Italy taking Ethiopia.  It seems like all the losers of the “Treaty of Versailles” became the Axis.

BTW, I’m really looking forward to that movie coming out called “Fury”

I thought the World Wars was very well done. I liked how it was more of a movie then a documentary.  My favorite is WWII in Colour though.  I also have World at War but it’s something like 30 hours long and I’m still at the beginning.

Have not heard of Fury, i’ll have to check that out.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

The World at War is the best. Every time I hear this song playing I get all misty eyed and Nostalgic for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fmhnjPIU0

Century of Warfare was great too.
    And Victory at Sea.

I caught the World Wars on the history channel. It was cool to see the early careers of various WW2 actors during the Great War 1914-18. But the production values were definitely more modern less classic hehe.

Fury looks pretty rad.

To the original subject of this thread. I think you could potentially support a Neutral Italy, if you are willing to support a stronger Russia. As I’ve been suggesting elsewhere all night ;)

• Apocalypse: The Second World War, is a great series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-jS37cBtM Six one hour parts with a lot of footage I had never seen before.

Then there is The Last Secrets of The Axis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-1i7Sx8L8 My favorite one shot documentary, deals a lot with german and Japanese cooperation.

Finally here is the trailer for fury  :-)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OGvZoIrXpg I’ll be going to see it.

Black Elk I really like those Russian NOs. While they seem like something I would like to use in every Global game I play from here on out, I could definitely see using them, with perhaps  an airbase in Egypt or some such thing, to help the allies offset a turn 1 neutral Italy, as an experimental game just for fun. I know for sure I have a friend – whos Italian navy I sank on UKs first move, with the Taranto maneuver which I learned from this site – who would certainly agree to it. Every time we get together to do another turn he complains at some point about how Italy is useless now and how Africa is his favorite front but now it is unimportant and Italy never got a chance to fight for it etc.

• @IKE:

@cyanight:

Good Point ghr2, I was watching a documentary last weekend on the History channel called World Wars.  They went through the timeline and started with Italy taking Ethiopia.  It seems like all the losers of the “Treaty of Versailles” became the Axis.

I thought the World Wars was very well done. I liked how it was more of a movie then a documentary.  My favorite is WWII in Colour though.  I also have World at War but it’s something like 30 hours long and I’m still at the beginning.

Have not heard of Fury, i’ll have to check that out.

I heard it was inaccurate with dates n such.

• '14 Customizer

I actually like how HBG made the Mediterranean Sea.  One of the problems with A&A Global is Crete and Cyprus are in the same sea zone.  As you can see below that sea zone is split and Crete is the intersection of 4 sea zones making it very strategic like it was in the war.  Also notice how Sicily and Sardinia also touch multiple sea zones.

• Good post cyanight.
    That would also make it enjoyable to play ,with room to expand some strategies.

• It looks like Bulgaria is also connected to Turkey, unlike G40.

• @cyanight:

Ethiopia was more for national prestige after the pre-ww1 fiasco.

At that times, especially after ww1 conclusion (Italy paid a very big price and in the end annihilated the entire austrian army), Italy felt he had to expand and that he coulndt trust The entente/allies.
    If you think Italy starter The WAR remember that before allying with germany, Italy was the only power that reacted to hitler’s expansion goals. Mussolini stopper Hitler from annexing Austria prior to their alliance.
    France and UK were not caring at all.

• '14 Customizer

Very Good Point Ike.  I have always wondered why Turkey doesn’t touch Bulgaria in Global.

• One way if you try this. Italy do not buy and move is navy until at war. The Italy can buy land and air unit but not move land and air unit until at war. For Russia is the same for not move all unit. Not playtested…

• Is for gameplay first but history two, the Italian is not prepare for this war and Russia two. Is simple and give a little more time for Italy. I repeat  i dont playtest this rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m