• Are the special + 1 Att - 1 Def Italian Infantry worth the extra 1 IPC? This is a 7.0/7.1 change. I think US Marines are worth 5 IPC and I’m on the fence if UK Commandos are worth 5 IPC. I like special units but the board doesn’t generally have any more room for them as a rule (Especially in Europe). I guess I’m asking if anyone buys these units in 6.0 or 7.0 and how often. I never bought special units in 6.1 for Germany/Russia/Japan but in 7.0/7.1 I will buy them every turn. Germany has to buy special units now that their tanks cost 6.

• I have only played the 6.1 version but I have to say for the axis, I like the German Paratroopers and the panzer grenediers.  Too me they are woth the extra.  As for the Italian special units, I do not see a huge advantage for the price.  I have not played the allies yet so I can’t respond to US marines or British Comando units.

• when i played the allies in 6.1 the commandos were incredibly helpful.  when they participate they in either amphibious or airborne ops they get a +1 attack for all rounds of combat.  this +1 can be paired with artillery for an additional +1.  so if you use commandos in an amphibious assault and bring them with artillery they attack at a 5 for the entire combat.  airborne for U.S. are nice because they allow you to get into combat in Europe very quickly.  as for the marines, I never used them, mainly because island hopping never usually happens in my games unfortunately.

• also I just looked at the 7.1 rules and both commandos and airborne/marines got cheaper.  so now it’s a no brainer for the allies.

• '14

The lower cost was added to get more of these units on the board….there are still limits to how many you can purchase per turn for most.  Just to add more of a fun factor for the game.

• i think it was a great idea to lower the prices for both germany/japan and the allies.  when i played as britain in 6.1 i wanted to buy commandos every turn because they can do so much, but towards the end britain just didn’t have the ipcs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m