• Sponsor

GO HABS GO!

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Given the grind of the regular and post-season, hockey players have the toughest offseason turnaround of any professional athlete. Wouldn’t mind having the schedule trimmed a bit.

Considering the Rangers are the first of my teams (with Mets and Jets) to make a championship appearance since 2000, I have to say I’m proud of their run to the finals, as excruciating as the losses were.

• Sponsor

@General:

Given the grind of the regular and post-season, hockey players have the toughest offseason turnaround of any professional athlete. Wouldn’t mind having the schedule trimmed a bit.

Considering the Rangers are the first of my teams (with Mets and Jets) to make a championship appearance since 2000, I have to say I’m proud of their run to the finals, as excruciating as the losses were.

I would have guessed that you’d be an Islanders fan if your other teams are the Mets and Jets.

Haha, you know the dynamics of NY sports well. The Manhattanite in me comes through for the Rangers, and I blame my brother for making me a Mets fan. I am worried about the Islanders though, as they may finally have a decent goalie. They’ll get a new owner and move to Brooklyn soon, so I imagine they’ll start spending above the salary floor to supplement the talent they have. I’ve never been to the Coliseum but I do want to see it for its swan song.

• Sponsor

@General:

Haha, you know the dynamics of NY sports well. The Manhattanite in me comes through for the Rangers, and I blame my brother for making me a Mets fan. I am worried about the Islanders though, as they may finally have a decent goalie. They’ll get a new owner and move to Brooklyn soon, so I imagine they’ll start spending above the salary floor to supplement the talent they have. I’ve never been to the Coliseum but I do want to see it for its swan song.

I’ve got the same problem kinda… I live in Toronto and I’m a big Raptors fan, and Blue Jays fan, but I’m a die hard Montreal Canadiens fan because of my brother. When we were 6 or 7 years old and able to stay up late Saturday nights to watch Hockey Night in Canada, I remember a game when my ultra competitive older brother said “I’m gonna root for the blue team, so you get the red team”… I’ve been thanking him ever since.

• GO HABS GO!
    –-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Naaaaaaaaaaa…forget it.
    yes the will make the play off…but far away of the Stanley cup…
    I’m from Montreal but I’m Penguins fan…but it’s gonna be hard for them.
    My second team …CHICAGO!!!

• Sponsor

Derek Stepan out 4-6 weeks after a collision during skating drills today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=462576

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

I’ve got the same problem kinda… I live in Toronto and I’m a big Raptors fan, and Blue Jays fan, but I’m a die hard Montreal Canadiens fan because of my brother. When we were 6 or 7 years old and able to stay up late Saturday nights to watch Hockey Night in Canada, I remember a game when my ultra competitive older brother said “I’m gonna root for the blue team, so you get the red team”… I’ve been thanking him ever since.

Ha… interesting story. I have wondered why you are a Canadiens fan living in Toronto. Always seemed kinda odd. Now I understand.

Go Red Wings!   If everyone stays healthy and plays to the best of their abilities, the Wings can still be formidable. Though I have limited hopes of any glory. Making the playoffs again will be a successful season.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

:-D

untitled.png

• Chicago Blackhawks will once again be competitive in the toughest conference in hockey.

Glad at least one sport in Chicago is doing things right.

• Sponsor

@axis_roll:

Chicago Blackhawks will once again be competitive in the toughest conference in hockey.

I know it’s only pre-season, but my Hamilton Bulldogs just beat your Chicago Blackhawks tonight.

• @Young:

@axis_roll:

Chicago Blackhawks will once again be competitive in the toughest conference in hockey.

I know it’s only pre-season, but my Hamilton Bulldogs just beat your Chicago Blackhawks tonight.

Really, it was a 2-1 game (EN at 19:01)

SOG
    Hawks: 31
    Habs: 18

…not only preseason, but a goalie win as well.

Price is a great goaltender

Speaking of goaltenders, having just endured the endless Derek Jeter retirement tour, how sad is Marty Brodeur’s situation? To be forced to retire since no one will sign him? Of course his arrogance plays a role, as he fancies himself a starter. Funny thing is his best days are long gone but I bet he’s still better than at least six of the worst starting goalies in the league. I guess he could backup somewhere (Montreal makes a lot of sense, you never know with Price’s durability), but there’s no way the Devils let him crawl back since they don’t need the distraction again.

@General:

Speaking of goaltenders, having just endured the endless Derek Jeter retirement tour, how sad is Marty Brodeur’s situation? To be forced to retire since no one will sign him? Of course his arrogance plays a role, as he fancies himself a starter. Funny thing is his best days are long gone but I bet he’s still better than at least six of the worst starting goalies in the league. I guess he could backup somewhere (Montreal makes a lot of sense, you never know with Price’s durability), but there’s no way the Devils let him crawl back since they don’t need the distraction again.

He should have secured a positive legacy and gone out with grace instead of be delusional and alienate a lot of people. I might agree with you about him being better than other goalies in the league. He can still contribute, but not in the role he had been looking for. But that contribution does not serve him well. While I can appreciate his competitiveness and desire to break records… at this point it is all about him and his ego. That is what irks me most.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

It will be the Canucks going all the way in the west this year.

@Gargantua:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Gargantua:

Gargantua’s statement seems less ridiculous now than it did last year. I think the Canucks won the off season by getting Nick Bonino, Ryan Miller, and Verbata to compliment an already decent line up. They also took care of their coaching “Gong Show” which is a whole lot more than Toronto did to fix their problems. Not saying they will go all the way, but they definetly set themselves up to compete every night.

@Young:

@LHoffman:

@Gargantua:

Gargantua’s statement seems less ridiculous now than it did last year. I think the Canucks won the off season by getting Nick Bonino, Ryan Miller, and Verbata to compliment an already decent line up. They also took care of their coaching “Gong Show” which is a whole lot more than Toronto did to fix their problems. Not saying they will go all the way, but they definetly set themselves up to compete every night.

Oh, I do not disagree that they are much improved, even with losing Kesler.

However, with San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Chicago to deal with… I find “all the way in the West” to still be laughable.

Anything can happen, but I rather doubt it.

• Miller is a game changer and could make the Canucks a real contender
    Its still pre-season…I cant wait

• Sponsor

My Habs are about to go 4-0 since the 76-77 season, and we all know what happened that year.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m