7.0 turn 1 pics and report

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

U.S. Navy sits off Philippines Japan clears the Indian Ocean.

DSC_0512.JPG
    DSC_0515.JPG

Italy pushes south and raids British convoys.

DSC_0517.JPG
    DSC_0516.JPG

South Africa. Washington.

DSC_0518.JPG
    DSC_0519.JPG

Moscow. Novosibirsk KVs.

DSC_0521.JPG
    DSC_0524.JPG

British Bombers and Soviets in Russian east.

DSC_0525.JPG
    DSC_0527.JPG

We use HBG dice boxes to marshal our purchases.

DSC_0535.JPG
    DSC_0538.JPG

• @ Koba - are you playing with the 7.1 where Russia gets the 48 IPC every turn at the end of their turn until they are in the war?  I can’t tell by the pictures. We have found Russia much too strong. This is partially due to UK being a bit stronger and Germany/Italy being a little weaker. I just curious if the Allies are too strong now.

Bill, we gave Russia 15 IPC to start and she rolled for income and declaration of war as before. Past that, for the most part, we stuck to the 7.1 rules. We knew 48 IPC per turn from word go would be a killer. The new units are a good idea and are definitely a game changer. 6 IPC German tanks make sense too (I hate to admit it). The game is certainly more balanced now.

We reverted to the old fortification rules after turn 2 as well.

• '14

What is the issue with the fortification rule?  Maybe it should be all land units attack at a -2 and no affect on air units.  Or -2 on naval units.  The reason it was changed is the idea that fortifications make it harder for the attacking units.

Yes, -2 on naval units would be good as well as air units.

One thing we noticed was that infantry would have no value other than fodder when attacking forts (-2 to infantry means that possibly 10 attacking infantry have no attack value unless supported by artillery). This didn’t make a lot of sense as infantry would more than likely be the best instrument to use against fortifications. Boosting the defending infantry as before made sense as they would be “dug in” with the assumption being there would be machine gun nests, mortar pits etc. supporting the defence.

This being said, maybe it is time to introduce an engineer unit, especially given that I understand there may be rivers and /or other obstacles in '36. Siege guns might be cool too (I’m thinking about the Karl/Thor mortar batteries here).

Past that, most of the changes made were positive. I spoke with SS beforehand and he (and) I believed the whole Russia with 48 from word go would be a killer. Judging by some of the other feedback I’ve read, I think this is so. As it is, with the changes made, the Axis take higher casualties than before. It could have been worse as my partner and I had lucky rolls for the first couple of turns.

I also think the changes gave opponents a false sense of security. It seemed they figured they could fart around more in the beginning. Now they’re in a bit of a panic and struggling to gain the initiative or at least stop the bleeding and stabilize the situation. Thing is, the allies can afford to falter in the early game and still come back. They have the depth in terms of base areas and resources. The gravity of the situation has set in and they are rallying for the long game of defence/delay. Grabbing those 12 cities (especially those in Russia) will not be easy for the Axis.

• Thanks Koba for info.
    We will be playing game next Sunday with Russia starting with 15 and starting at 0 with 2 die roll for income.
    Sneak attack be played before the start of turn 7 for Japan.
    Germany gets 2nd impluse for Naval.
    For Forts maybe give infrantry a -1 on attack and all other pieces ( plus planes ) -2 ?
    Makes you have to bring more artillery with infrantry to boost attack ?

This might change after Koba’s game.

I have some more pics to edit and post. It’ll take me a bit.

Things aren’t looking too good for the allies but the Axis have not taken 12 VCs and it’s going on turn 10.

• '14

If 3 infantry and a fortification are defending against 5 infantry and 2 armor.

3 of the attacking infantry fire at a 1 and the other 2 fire at normal along with armor.

• I don’t really like play testing but it seems like forts could be too powerful now. Maybe for every infantry defending the fort (up to 10) the infantry defend at + 1 (instead of + 2 like before) and for every infantry one of their units attacks at - 1 (up to 10)? It meets in the middle and seems more realistic. We have never taken any city now with a fort in it that has 10 infantry and it’s been tried twice for Leningrad and twice for India and once for Moscow and once for Stalingrad! It’s a bit their fault though because they get too greedy.

The Russia fort in the east took about 50% of Japan’s turn to deal with on 1 turn.

Is the official 7.1 going to be out soon? We want to play again next weekend but it seems like the Axis can’t win (in turn 10 or 11) now. I think the solution could be knocking Russia down to having to roll for income just like before and maybe changing the forts. It might be too soon to say that though. I definitely think Russia shouldn’t get the 48 at the end of every round. It was more fun how they used to have to roll and hope to get high rolls to get in the war and how much $ you would get (in my opinion).

Believe it or not, our game is not over. Due to interruptions we have made it only to turn 10. The Axis hold 11 victory cities and are just outside of Moscow and Stalingrad.

It is a race against time as the U.S. player is preparing a landing force off of Washington/New England. The Russian fleet (after escaping pursuing Germans) and remnants of the Commonwealth Atlantic fleet have rallied to them. The U.S. is also making incursions into South America and will link up with ANZAC forces which have (finally) activated Brazil. The U.S. Pacific fleet has vacated the Philippine sea zone and made for the Japanese forces lying off of Dutch New Guinea. These forces have essentially blockaded Australia. The Americans are also beefing up their land based defences on the west coast.

The Japanese have taken the Philippines. They continue to trade Burma with FEC but have completely subdued Red and Nationalist China. A small Japanese force stands on the border with Novosibirsk. The Japanese also occupy Vladivostok and the most eastern Soviet territories. While the Russian still holds Northern Manchuria, this force represents a rear guard as the Soviets are withdrawing in response to growing Japanese forces on the home islands, the Novosibirsk, Stalingrad and Moscow threats.

The Italians continue to scratch their way to South Africa while expanding into the Middle East and supporting Axis advances in the Ukraine. The Italian Navy maintains a small presence in the North Atlantic which will most certainly end voluntarily or not.

The Germans and Minors are battering at the gates of Moscow and Stalingrad while augmenting their Baltic and Atlantic fleets. Spain is now an Axis power. Gibraltar has fallen. The Africa Corps is in Cairo and Axis forces are moving toward India.

The Commonwealth organized an airborne reinforcement effort to Russia. Infantry from Calcutta has landed in Stalingrad to help bolster the defences. More transport planes have appeared in London. It may be too little too late.

Below are some turn 6 pics from this weekend’s game.

We have the Japanese home islands with Yamato and Japanese moves into New Guinea.

IMG_20140921_210108.jpg
    IMG_20140921_153141.jpg

Mediterranean, Bosporus Straits, Middle East, Africa, and English Channel.

IMG_20140921_124338.jpg
    IMG_20140921_124354.jpg

Eastern Russia, China. FEC/Japan fight on.

IMG_20140921_124514.jpg
    IMG_20140921_124527.jpg

Though our game is not over (we’ve made a commitment to put in a couple of hours tonight), here are some general observations.

The rule amendments have shifted the balance making things easier for the Allies in terms of staying power and options. Axis gains in this weekend’s game had more to do with good dice rolls, focused play, and weak Allied coordination than any balance issues.

If we had used the 80 IPC starting cash, or 48 IPC income from word go for Russia, a chimp could’ve played them successfully. As it was, increased Soviet forces caused a slowdown on Japan’s and Germany’s push. If the Russian player had been more aggressive, especially against Japan….

The UK fleet is harder to sink now. It can be done, but luck and a willingness to accept higher German air and naval casualties --with possibly no payoff-- are needed. More UK planes make things rougher for the Germans.

15 IPCs starting cash for Italy is a bit low but “manageable”.

No further reduction to Axis forces should take place.

6 IPC German tanks are a boon to the Russians and made for more diverse purchasing and tactical choices for the German player.

Germany should start with a paratroop unit and an air transport.

We liked the old fortification rules better but it seems the new ones, or some variation thereof, will be the case.

We’d like to see the U.S. start out with a Marine or two somewhere (even if they cannot build more before war breaks out). Japan starts with SNLF. The Americans should have Marines as they existed well before the war started (so went the argument).

We’re not satisfied with Vichy yet. For instance, having a Vichy transport in the Med which can’t even transport Vichy units is frustrating.

Communist China’s reinforcements are a PITA for Japan. The new Chinese placement allowance is too. If you wanted to make things tougher for Japan, pat yourselves on the back; a Japanese player won’t  :wink:.

Japan’s sneak attack is ok but the old two-impulse one from the Xeno days was better (in my opinion :-D).

Tangential stuff:

Engineers would be cool  :mrgreen:.

We recommend Global '39 players try playing with resource markers. They add a new dimension and depth to the game.

The consensus is we cannot wait for '36, the expansions (especially amphibious warfare) and new pieces.

Thanks for reading, considering our/my findings, and following our game this weekend.

I’ll post more pics later,

Koba

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Great report Koba and analysis. Now are you using a combination of 7.0 and 6.1 rules, just to clarify, what I’m reading? :-)

That’s right John,

We used the set up and most of the 7.1 rules but hung on to some of the 6.1 such as Russian income and fortifications.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m