• I started watching Pacific again. (I did not think much of it first time around.) I can only presume 1940 was not out, because Episodes 6 and 7 are set on Peleliu (Palau in 1940), but I don’t much remember the name.
    I was surprised to discover how vicious the fighting was: Sept-Nov 44.
    The Japanese had decided to change their tactics and this all came as an unpleasant surprise to the 1st Marine Division, which finished the campaign with a third of its number as casualties. The Division was out of action for a year, before being thrown at Okinawa.

I thought it worthy of note, as Palau begins the game with one Inf unit and most of us either bypass the (worthless) island as the US or capture it with Anzac about T15, because we do not know what else to do with its money. (The game is now all but over.)
    Funny thing history.

• A very bloody campaign.  The Pacific Theater was already winding down, the writing on the wall was already written, but the Japanese refused to read it or they did read it and fought on anyway…bravely i must add.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_and_Palau_Islands_campaign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu

• Thanks for the links: they are what I read.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

It always annoys me that it’s been misspelled “Paulau” on the board.

• The Battle is for the most part is forgotten except for hard core WWII fans.

Other events caught headlines, the battle has the highest casualty rate of a battle in the Pacific. The National Museum of the Marine Corps called it "the bitterest battle of the war for the Marines.

I recall reading that one marine said that all the steel in Pittsburg could get shot into the fortifications of Palau with little effect.

Thanks for the post Leo.

• Have any of you ever seen Steve Irwin’s “The Crocodile Hunter” Pacific War special? The show was aired around 15 years ago. In the show he visits many battle sites both land and sea. And explores the sites. He had a vast passion and knowledge of the Pacific War.

He visits Palau, where he unearthed a complete Japanese blockhouse. Inside were the remains of the entire blockhouse crew in inform with weapons. The blockhouse was a time capsule, filled with medicine bottles, a record player and cans of food.

The show was one of the best I’ve had seen. Got to see a different side of the Steve Irwin (God rest his soul).

• I am happy to have learnt of it.
    Watching Pacific really brings to me how horrid a conflict The Pacific really was. Terrible  conditions. A precursor to Vietnam, possibly.

On your second post: no, I had not heard of that. Was unaware the Pacific was one of his passions.
    Visiting that Blockhouse must have been so eerie.

• I was fortunate enough to spend some time in/around Micronesia.  I know I’ve got some other photos but I thought I’d share this one for now.  I have no idea what kind of tank/vehicle it is…maybe someone else can identify it?

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 10.29.32 AM.png

• The axle has sprocket wheels on each side, so this must have been part of the drive system of a tracked vehicle.  Considering that the Japanese had relatively few armoured vehicles compared to the Americans in the Pacific, the chances are probably higher that this was an American one than a Japanese one – but since there’s so little left of it (at least from what can be seen on the picture), I can’t guess with any confidence what this was.  If the hull was visible, it would be easy to tell if it was a Sherman, since its hull shape was very distinctive.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I would argue that’s a Sherman. As it has a high profile sprocket, and seems to conform to the Sherman silhouette.

But I’m no expert… and it could be anything.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Some of the best descriptions I’ve seen of the Pacific Island battles are here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/index.html

Enjoy :-D

One of my favourites was Tarawa.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-M-Tarawa/

• It looks more like a Stuart tank to me, since the whole frame seems not to be long enough.
    Even that a M4 was a Medium Tank it would have needed more power to destroy an Sherman like that.
    Weathering, altering and corrision considered.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m