Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris

• '19 '18 '17

@barnee Thanks Barnee!!!

• Hi,

I’ve got two questions

Is Celebes really still British or is that a typo?

And will this setup also work for Europe/Pacific alone?
    It sounds like the Europe side leans very much towards the Allies, whereas Japan is favored in the Pacific-

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I thought its japanese but you’ll have to look the setup has been out for years.

No, though you could port it to 1 board.
    Agree with your last statement most of us play Global only after a few intro games of the split boards

• It says so in the setup, just seems a bit weird, as well as the Japanese sub together with the US fleet starting in the same sea zone.

Another question, does the Sino-Sovjet Pact still apply or are Japan and Russia at War. The rules state
    “ALL Powers begin the game AT WAR. Both the Soviet Union and the US may attack anyone from the onset of the game.”
    which doesn’t sepcifically adress this, but it reads like no penalty for attacking JAP/USSR

• @Lydian said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

It says so in the setup, just seems a bit weird, as well as the Japanese sub together with the US fleet starting in the same sea zone.

But that is a pretty common scenario in the game, that we have the “sea units starting in hostile sea zones-rules” for.

Another question, does the Sino-Sovjet Pact still apply …

I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you please cite from the rulebook what you are addressing here?

… or are Japan and Russia at War.
    The rules state “ALL Powers begin the game AT WAR. Both the Soviet Union and the US may attack anyone from the onset of the game.” which doesn’t sepcifically adress this, but it reads like no penalty for attacking JAP/USSR

Again, would you please clarify your issue here?

• @Panther Sure, it is just the only standard A&A Edition I’m aware of, that features opposing forces in the same territory at setup.

Sino-Sovjet Pact - darn, that’s WarRoom. Sovjet-Mongolian Defense Pact from the Global40 rules is what I meant

thanks for answering

• @Lydian said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

Sovjet-Mongolian Defense Pact from the Global40 rules is what I meant

Yes, those rules of the Soviet-Mongolian Defense Pact still apply in the 1942 setup. They do not address questions of being at war, but consequences of attacks in special territories.

• @simon33 Well I set up my boards and studied Japans options.I think this is my J1.
    1 buymic/tt/cv/2ss=47 ipcs
    combat moves
    3inf/fig/tb/sb>yunan plan to land air fic

5inf /2art/fig>anweh land fig fic

sz 49 attack USN BB/tt/ca/dd with all ships in sz47 ss/dd/ca. Make sure to pass through sz 46 in case of retreat.Add 3 fig from sz 42 and 33.Make sure at least dd survives to block USN from sz26(hawaii)

sz62 attack Anz dd/tt with ss from sz49 and ca from sz 33. If anz hits 1, lose the ca.There should be no destroyer left nearby and sub can convoy sz62

last walk 1 inf into each> chahar,hunan,and from siam>shan state
    noncom
    use 2 tt to drop land units >kiangsi sz20
    bb&2cv>sz 46 fill both cvs from sz49 and planes that did’nt participate in battle.
    dd /bb and loaded cv from sz6>sz 35
    dd sz19> sz6. keep adequate air @sz6/japan

place mic fic and ships sz6

I like this b/c it strands a lot of US units at solomon Is. and threatens Anzac.I invite all to comment and disect

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@ampdrive attacking the USA on the open usually ends up as an even trade, whether you attack Solomons or pearl harbor. Japan usually ends up weaker for trading ship/ship with the USA.

• I see your point.I think I’ll forget attacking sz62.Instead send to sz49 2ss,1dd,3 fgt vrs bb,ca,dd,tt.Japan loses likely 2ss,1 fgt+the dd on USA counter.
    NCM up to 2 ca to sz46 to protect IJN (2 loaded cvs+bb)
    I think it’s important for japan to take advantage of opportunities presented by intial set-up.

• '13

Japan lost 4 carriers at Midway in 42, so why still so strong in this setup?

• '13

And UK navy takes huge brutal beating in 42 v. 40.

• I think versions of A&A starting in 1942 begin before battle of midway and after German defeat at Moscow.Sort of April or May 1942.

• @taamvan

I have a feeling GENCON will be canceled but if not I will be there.

• @cyanight

How you play 1942 depends on how many turns you plan to play. In tournament its around 6-8. Not enough time to get capital victory unless a complete failure on dice or strategy. I have a new plan this year and its completely based on the length of the game.

• @taamvan said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

@ampdrive attacking the USA on the open usually ends up as an even trade, whether you attack Solomons or pearl harbor. Japan usually ends up weaker for trading ship/ship with the USA.

On a game with fixed turns taking Hawaii turn 1 is a must at 86% and 3-4 casualties.

• '13

@ampdrive ah, ok. thx

• Hey all.
    New to the forums. Love Axis & Allies. I have played several board versions, TripleA and steam.

Going to play Larrys Global 1942 setup in a couple of weeks on a lovely LT.Dan / Siredblood map print.
    Is Larrys 1942 variant still considered to be a fairly balanced setup by the community?
    I find it a bit weird that the US player so easily can take out two german subs before the german player can use them at all.
    I want that destroyer in SZ 101 to be a cruiser, lol.

• Hi @dead-head said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

I find it a bit weird that the US player so easily can take out two german subs before the german player can use them at all

I remember this being talked about but forget the opinions. You could do a search here and maybe find it.

Also, Oztea has a 42 setup if you wanna give it a roll sometime.
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/20575/oztea-s-1942-global-setup?_=1651779408535

• @dead-head said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

Hey all.
    New to the forums. Love Axis & Allies. I have played several board versions, TripleA and steam.

Going to play Larrys Global 1942 setup in a couple of weeks on a lovely LT.Dan / Siredblood map print.
    Is Larrys 1942 variant still considered to be a fairly balanced setup by the community?
    I find it a bit weird that the US player so easily can take out two german subs before the german player can use them at all.
    I want that destroyer in SZ 101 to be a cruiser, lol.

No. I’m doing a advance 42 game. I’m looking at in my setup moving 1 German sub from Baltic (3 on Setup) ( have convoy boxes) to the sea zone in Atlantic ( 2 subs already there ) where they have the option of bringing 3 subs to US coast and only 2 going towards UK fleet turn 1. Since if this game does start technically early 42 then Germany was at there peak in subs in the Atlantic. The German bomber stays in Berlin plus I have a paratrooper there to give Germany another option for that bomber.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m