• '14 Customizer

I have been working on a project to put decals on my carriers to make them unique. It all started about a month ago when I was frustrated with the Graf Zeppelin and wanted it to look more like a carrier and less like a canoe. I first started by using Imperious Leader’s link to create magnetic carriers but I used it to only build templates to modify later. http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21083.0

I will review the process here

• Place scotch tape on carrier and trim off excess tape with knife

• Paint tape with a black permanent marker.

• Carefully remove the tape I urge caution to be very careful in this step.

• Place tape on a blank piece of paper. You can group multiples on one page

• Scan the page and you should get a 200dpi scan file for each carrier.

The above process will only need to be done with new carriers since I will provide files of my completed work for you to use.
    You will need the following items.

Applying the decal

• Print the files on the decal paper and carefully remove from printer.

• Next you will need to apply thin coats of Gloss spray. About 5 coats should be enough.

• Cut decals from sheet.

• Apply Decal fix to carrier and let dry 15 mins.

• Soak decal in water.

• Apply water to carrier and slide on the decal.

• Let dry and coat with a thin layer of gloss to seal edges. I have not tried using decal medium but it may be better than glossing again.

To be continued…

• '14 Customizer

I finished the Axis carriers last night and hope to have the Allied carriers done tonight.

Graf Zeppelin

Aquila

Akagi, Kaga(HBG Sculpt), Hiryu, Soryu
    Camo: Zuiho, Junyo, Unryo(HBG Sculpt), Zuikaku I used the Shinano sculpts for the other carriers.

• '14 Customizer

Here are the Allied Carriers.

Illustrious (x2 - UK)
    Magnificent (x2 -ANZAC)
    Ranger (USA-4 Atlantic)
    Lexington (USA-16 Atlantic)
    Yorktown (USA-10 Midway)
    Enterprise (USA-6 Midway)
    Wasp(USA-18 Atlantic)
    Hornet(USA-12 Midway)
    Saratoga (USA-3 Guadalcanal)
    Essex (USA-9 Guadalcanal)

As promised here are the files I used to make the decals. You could use these to make stickers too if you want.

Image Files

Essex carrier is 1/4000 scale from Shapeways sculpt.

Kaga is HBG’s sculpt

Unryo is HBG’s sculpt

• These look terrific from the directly-above view in your pictures.  Very nice indeed!

• Hey all, new to the Axis and Allies forums and to customizing my ships. I apologize if this was answered elsewhere, but how do I size these carrier decals down to fit my ships? They look much bigger, and I’m assuming I need to arrange them onto a photoshopped page of some sort?

As a side note, i’m curious if anyone has made country symbols on a handy one piece sheet with all the countries included so that I can print out one set and decal up my whole set of models. I’m not sure if they have them in a 6mm size, or 8mm size etc.

If not I might have to try this on my own, but I didn’t want to recreate work someone else has already done.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m