The US as an aggresive Axis power, Japan as a peaceful Allied power.

• Customizer

Here’s a quick report of our round 1.
    GERMANY = Purchased 1 carrier, 1 destroyer and 1 submarine.
    Attacked Normandy, France, Southern France and Yugoslavia. Won France, lost 5 infantry, 1 artillery. Won Southern France, lost 1 mech. Won Yugoslavia, lost 1 infantry. LOST Normandy, lost 2 mechs, retreated 1 tank to Holland.
    Sank all Royal Navy ships in Sea Zones 109, 110, and 111. Lost 2 subs in SZ 110, no planes lost. Suffered 1 hit on battleship in SZ 111, no other losses. Both subs in SZ 109 survived.
    Took Finland and Bulgaria in NCM. CA and TT SZ 114 moved to SZ 112. All ships placed SZ 112.
    SOVIET UNION = Purchased 4 Artillery, 2 Tanks, 3 Infantry.
    Massing units on border. New units placed at forward factories.
    UNITED STATES = Purchased 2 Carriers, 2 Transports, 1 Submarine.
    Took all Canadian/Commonwealth territories. Destroyed small Canadian Navy.
    Attacked Japanese Navy in Sea Zones 6, 19 and 20. US sub killed IJN Cruiser and Transport in SZ 20. US FTR and TAC killed IJN Destroyer in SZ 19 but couldn’t touch IJN Sub. Destroyed all Japanese ships plus scramble aircraft in SZ 6, survived with 1 carrier, 2 fighters and 1 damaged battleship. Also used 3 transports to land 4 infantry, 1 artillery and 1 tank on Korea, Won that battle but lost 2 infantry.
    Sent 3 transports and took Brazil. Lost 1 infantry.
    Moved some units for attack on Japan. Other units in position to attack Commonwealth navy. Placed 1 CV, 1 SS, 2 TT in SZ 10. 1 CV in SZ 101.
    JAPAN = Purchased 5 infantry.
    Attacked US Navy in SZ 6 with 1 fighter from Formosa, 1 fighter from Carolines, 1 Sub from SZ 19, 1 DD from SZ 33 and 1 Bomber from Japan. Both sides wiped each other out so 3 US transports survive undefended.
    Placed 5 infantry in Japan.
    CHINA = Purchased 2 DD, 1 Transport.
    Attacked Korea with 3 infantry, 1 artillery from Manchuria. Lost battle with no US losses.
    Sent fighter to SZ 6 and sank US transports then returned to Shanghai.
    Placed 2 DD, 1 TT in SZ 19.
    UNITED KINGDOM = Purchased 6 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 transport.
    Sent fighter from Scotland to attack German Battleship in SZ 111. UK fighter was killed, German BB survived.
    Sent 2 FTR, 1 Bomber from UK, 1 CV, 1 CA, 1 DD, 1 TAC from SZ 98 all to SZ 97. Killed 1 Italian BB, CA, 2 FTRS and 1 German FTR with 1 TAC, 1 Bomber surviving.
    Sent 1 FTR from Gibraltar, 1 FTR from Malta to attack Italian DD, TT in SZ 96. Killed Italian ships but lost 1 fighter.
    All units from Alexandria, 1 mech from Egypt and 1 infantry,1 artillery via transport to Tobruk. UK won with 1 tank, 1 mech and 1 artillery surviving.
    NCM = 1 infantry from Sudan to Kenya. Infantry/artillery via transport to Sumatra. CA DD from SZ 39 to SZ 41. 1 BB from SZ 37 to SZ 54.
    Placed 6 infantry, 1 fighter on England. 1 transport SZ 39.
    ITALY = Purchased 1 fighter.
    CA, DD, SS from SZ 95 to SZ 93. Both French ships sunk, no Italian losses.
    1 inf/1 art via transport from N Italy to Greece along with 2 infantry, 1 tank from Albania. Won battle with loss of 2 infantry.
    Inf/Art from Libya attack Tunisia. Won battle, lost 1 infantry.
    1 infantry from Ethiopia move into Sudan.
    1 infantry/1 artillery from Ethiopia and 1 infantry from Italian Somaliland to Kenya. Won battle, lost 1 infantry.
    1 tank, 1 bomber from N Italy to Normandy. Won battle, lost bomber.
    Placed 1 fighter in Southern Italy.
    COMMONWEALTH = Purchased 1 tank, 1 mech, 1 transport, 1 infantry.
    Attacked Sudan with 2 infantry in Egypt. Won battle with no losses.
    Moved fighter from New Zealand to Queensland. Moved transport from SZ 62 with infantry/artillery from Queensland to Java. Moved DD SZ 63 and CA SZ 62 to SZ 54.
    Placed 1 tank 1 mech in South Africa. 1 TT in SZ 71. 1 Infantry in New South Wales.
    FRANCE = Capital captured, no purchases.
    Moved 1 infantry from Morocco and 1 fighter from England to Algeria. Moved 1 infantry from French West Africa to French Central Africa. Moved 1 Infantry from Syria to Trans-Jordan. Moved 1 DD from SZ 72 to SZ 81.

Well, that’s how it sits so far. The US did a lot right off the bat, but definitely had a set back against Japan. Allowing China more options looks pretty interesting so far. Looking forward to see how this works out.
    So far Europe seems to be going as a typical game of G40. Germany had pretty good luck for the most part, Normandy notwithstanding. UK had a lot of good action against Italy, but lost a lot of RAF and Royal Navy in the process. I think Italy is still in fairly good shape. It will depend on what the Commonwealth does from S. Africa.

• Does not seem to hopeful for the Allies. Can you see a chink of light?
    What is the income differential end of the turn?
    Did the Axis also start with more TUV? If so, surely it will win.

• Customizer

Well, we are through round 3 and here is the way things look:
    Germany took London. Lost 3 aircraft to AA fire so now has 1 fighter, 4 Stukas and 2 Bombers in the Luftwaffe. Won London with 6 tanks left, so fairly costly. One really weird difference is USA sent over 2 bombers and ran an SBR on London’s IC. They are in Paris and plan to help Germany attack Russia. USA has little presence in Europe/Atlantic as they are pretty busy with ANZAC, Japan and China.
    Russia launched attacks on Finland, Poland, Hungary and Romania. I think our Russian player misjudged the strength of his attacking forces and Germany had a little good luck on defensive dice. Russians won overwhelmingly in Finland, but still lost 4 infantry. Russian won in Poland but only with 2 artillery, 2 tanks left. Russia LOST in Hungary, retreated 2 tanks, 1 artillery to E Poland. Russia LOST in Romania, lost all land units, retreated 1 fighter and 1 tactical bomber. So while Russia has a fair amount of money now, they are not in a good strategic position.
    USA is poised to attack Japan. USA attacked China by taking Manchuria and Shanghai. Only survived with 1 tank, 1 artillery in both places. China had enough to take both territories back, but they are pretty weak right now. USA also took New Zealand and killed ANZAC navy plus British BB, but lost 2 cruisers and 4 destroyers in the process.
    Japan is in poor shape. Will probably be taken by US next round.
    United Kingdom has lost London, but they still have a few units around. UK took Philippines from US and also took out Iraq.
    Italians are having real trouble in the Med. Commonwealth forces wiped out Italians in Africa. Italians tried to launch amphibious assault on Egypt with 3 transports, 1 cruiser and 1 destroyer against 1 French Destroyer. The French Destroyer sank BOTH Italian warships causing Italian transports to retreat to SZ 96 with all their stuff still on them and no protection. On France’s turn, French fighter based in Gibraltar flew out and sank those transports. Cost Italy a LOT of money. It may take them a while to bounce back from this.
    Commonwealth is doing fairly well for losing all of Canada. They have cleared Africa of Axis units and getting ready to emerge into the Med and possibly cause more problems for Italy. However, they have to worry about the US force in New Zealand which threatens Sydney. At present, they have more protection on Sydney than the US forces in the area can overcome, but once US finishes Japan, perhaps ANZAC will be the next victim to Yankee Imperialism.
    So far, it is looking like it will be an Axis victory, but the Allies are fighting like hell to stop it. So it’s not just a total blowout at least.

• Thanks again for reporting.
    I am sure it has been fun and a nice change, but if you want to play again, I think you need to take the Home NOs off the US. Did you reduce the number of Transports too?
    Did you count up the starting Incomes and ensure that the Axis  started with less?
    Perhaps the only hope is a stronger USSR: give them 10 more ground units.
    The way I see it, if the US is not going to cross the Atlantic to save Russia, by opening up a Second Front, why would Germany not DOW it on G2? Germany can usually capture Moscow or neutralise its income very quickly and there will not be a rescue effort coming from anywhere. Japan cannot help.
    Thanks again, Knp, for devising this evil little plan.

• Customizer

Hey Wittmann,
    To answer some of your questions:
    No, I did not reduce the # of US Transports. That was actually an oversight on my part. Just forgot.
    I will take into consideration further change of the US NOs. You are probably right that the Home Territory NO could be scrapped.
    No, I didn’t do any figuring on incomes, but I just did now and in territory income the Allies have 149 and the Axis have 92. Not as big a swing as the traditional game. After all, in the traditional G 40 game, Axis power Japan starts with 26. Now Axis power USA starts with 52, twice as much. I didn’t figure in any NOs either. I suppose if I wanted to make this a more serious setup possibility, I should probably rework not only the setup but the map itself. Since this is very ahistorical, I could probably push it a little further. What do you think about these ideas that come to mind:
    Alaska and Aleutian Islands belong to the Soviet Union. Say the US never bought Alaska from Russia, or Russia never sold it. That’s a 2 IPC deduction from US and addition to Russia.
    Philippines, Guam, Wake, Midway, Hawaii all belong to Japan. Perhaps the US lost the Spanish American War and Japan ended up making a deal with Spain for Philippines and Guam. Maybe the native Hawaiian people voted for Japanese rule rather than US rule and Japan helped them with some sort of uprising. Maybe Wake and Midway went along with Hawaii. OR, Wake and Midway could still be US forward bases with the US intention of taking back Hawaii from Japan. That would be a 3 IPC loss from US and a 3 IPC addition to Japan.
    Another idea for Mexico, SE Mexico, Central America and West Indies. Suggesting that the US lost the Spanish American War, these territories could all be considered Spanish colonies and thus STRICT Neutrals. That would be another 5 IPCs deducted from the US income.
    So with these ideas, that would cut down the US income to 42 IPCs per turn. Unfortunately, that is the value of EUS, CUS and WUS so you can’t cut it down any more. The US would be left with their home territories and a few small islands in the pacific.
    You mentioned adding units to Russia. I am wondering if this setup might require an overall Allied bid of extra units to the starting setup, some for Russia and some for UK. I already added a few new units to Commonwealth, but perhaps they would need a few more as well.
    I will have to give this some more thought.
    Thanks for your input wittmann. Let me know what you think about the above ahistorical ideas.

• Sponsor

I love the intro, and the way you set the stage for us. Is this ready to go or does it need more refinement? It seems like a massive change that could cause many loop holes in the rules, have you found many glitches?

• Customizer

Hey YG,
    Oh yeah, I have been noticing things that probably need some tweaking. I think I need to rework the US NOs for one thing. They are a little too much like their old NOs and I need to make them more in line with an aggressor nation.
    I’ve also tossed around the idea of adding a few more Allied starting units, like perhaps a few more ground units for Russia and maybe some ships for the UK. Just not sure what or where just yet. The Allies have still got to be weaker militarily than the Axis so I don’t want to give them so much that the Axis can’t win. On the other hand, I don’t want to leave it a blowout for the Axis either. There has got to be a balance in there somewhere.
    For one thing, I think this version has made Sealion much more acceptable for the Axis. Think about this: Sure, Russia can attack if London falls but they will only get so far. Germany can hold Russia off, at the very least from getting Berlin. Then with the London Treasury, they can buy a LOT of stuff to fight off the Soviets. This might be okay even in a regular G40 game. BUT, here is the hitch: Now Germany knows there will be no great liberating fleet steaming in from America because now the US and Germany are pals. On top of that, the first thing USA does is to take over Canada so England will not be getting any help there either.
    So, basically if Germany can withstand the initial Russian attack, and Russia does not have a strong enough force to really press Berlin, then sacking London is pretty much a total plus for Germany. It will hurt them if they lose a lot of units in the battle for London, but even at that Germany doesn’t have to worry about losing their navy because the only threat to that was the US Air Force and/or US Navy, which in this case will not be coming. In fact, in our game US bombers SBRed London.

This is making me think maybe my London defenses should be stronger in this variant. Or would it be better to have more Royal Navy?
    A while back, just for kicks we played a game where the US simply stayed neutral. It was really an easy Axis victory. Without US interference, Germany easily handled both UK and Russia while Japan just pretty much flowed throughout the Pacific. The only difference was Japan had to side step US territories.
    With the US as an active Axis nation, even with Japan becoming an Ally, I think it makes things that much harder for the Allies.

I want to see how our current game ends up – will probably be taking it back up this weekend – but I will try to figure out how to balance things out better. I don’t want Sealion to be too easy, which I think is what I have done, but I don’t want it totally off the table either.
    I might need to try out a game where Germany goes Barbarossa first and see how that works out. I am also wondering if I should make a rule where the US can not immediately attack Canada. I think it would be nice if Canada were able to help out London some.
    Perhaps some weird political rules where the US won’t attack UK or the Commonwealth, but they will not fight the Germans or Italians either.
    Or, maybe put in some conditions that have to happen before the US would go to war with UK/Commonwealth. The US starts out at war with Japan and China. Maybe some other conditions would have to happen for the US to go to war with Russia too.
    Ugh! This seems to be getting kind of complicated now.
    Anybody that has some ideas, feel free to chime in. I’m always open to ideas.

• Japan has fallen too easily, I think. Coupled with a successful Sealion and very rich Germany, I see some change is necessary.
    Thank you for considering my ideas and asking for opinions.
    I like the possibility of reducing the US to 42, by stripping if of its overseas possessions, but think that should be the last alternative.
    I think taking away the Homeland NO and chopping off a couple or three of its TTs is a start.
    Russia has to be given 10 ground units, maybe even Mech and Tanks.
    I can’t remember if you changed the 18 Far East Inf to a mid of ground units. If not, that will help. There is no longer a Iapanese threat, so either making them all mechanised or moving 12 of them West will help.
    Can’t say much more: need to go work in the garden with my wife!
    Will think on it again. Good luck and great job Knp .

• Customizer

As for the 18 Russian infantry in the far east, Russia still gets them but I sort of spread them out. I put some on Soviet Far East, Siberia and Amur because of the strong US presence in Alaska. There are a few along the Chinese/Russian border in Central Asia because in this alternate history, since the Nationalist Chinese crushed the Chinese Communists, Russia now doesn’t trust China so they want to keep an eye on their borders.
    So I didn’t take any away from Russia, but I think you are right that maybe Russia needs some more. I was also thinking of putting a ship or two in SZ 5.

• First off, a minor complaint: I love this idea so much, I found it rather difficult to focus on my work duties last Friday. But seriously, thank you for coming up with an awesome idea and laying the groundwork for it!

After a good weekend of thinking (but not playtesting), I came up with several thoughts. Your original scenario seems grossly imbalanced, but that can be fixed. I particularly liked wittman’s idea to heat up South America. So, a shout-out also to CWO Marc for doing that research!

I don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes, here. I just like this so much, I’m taking the ball and running with it!

I’ll post the sheet I’ve been working on in a minute. If anyone has any questions like “Why did you choose ___,” or even “So does this mean ___,” I’d be happy to answer them! I also encourage any you to post any thoughts, critiques, or pointing out errors. Thanks!

• v1.4

–—THE STORY-----

[cue dramatic music and gruff Narrator:]
      This story has its beginnings in the Spanish-American War. The Manifest Destiny fervor that swept the United States decades prior has not subsided. The US, after a crushing defeat of Spain, receives both Cuba and the Philippines in the Treaty of Paris. The Latin American nations, traditionally on good terms with the US due to the Monroe Doctrine’s protectionism from European influence, realize that the United States is not too different from their old colonial rulers after all.
      Britain, concerned that it is no longer the most influential power in the Caribbean, supports the continued Cuban resistance. After a nationwide revolt planned by Jose Marti succeeds nearly overnight in establishing control, Cuba publicly sues for protection from Great Britain, as planned. It is now the English that are seen as champions of freedom in the New World.
      Meanwhile, a similar scenario finds itself occurring in the Philippines. Japan, as the most advanced nation in Asia and led by their holy Emperor, views opposing the expansion of Western powers in Asia as its sacred duty. The Japanese provide arms and training to the Filipinos, and after 4 years of war they succeed in winning independence.
      Shortly after, in the Russo-Japanese War, the Japanese gain global recognition by defeating the Russians to protect Korea and capture part of Manchuria. The Japanese Navy is famed throughout the world after annihilating two of Russia’s three fleets, and Japanese naval designs are considered to be of top design and prestige.

Moving forward –
    (edits made to knp7765’s story)

…Franklin Roosevelt lost the 1933 election to a more isolationist candidate. This new guy uses similar national building project to put people to work and jump start the economy, but he also decides to build up the military in order to protect his isolationist ideals. The thinking is that if the US is militarily strong, no outside forces would dare try to impose their ideas on America. This is due in part to strong military leaders lobbying the president for larger military budgets.
      Later, when war breaks out in Europe, even though aghast at the horrible carnage there is some level of envy at how quickly the Third Reich has managed to increase their holdings. After all, the United States is great, but they could always be better, right? This, coupled with a bit of sympathy for Germany over the harsh terms of the Versailles Treaty, actually causes the openings of negotiations between the US and Germany. Of course, Germany is keen to obtain such a powerful and rich ally. They say, “Why should such a powerful nation as the US have to import and pay for things like rubber, tin and oil from the East Indies when they could go out and simply OWN them?” Of course, these actions would invariably draw attention and resources from the British Empire and perhaps make it that much harder for England itself to keep holding out. In spite of the awesome attacks by the Third Reich upon England and the ongoing U-Boat campaign against British shipping, Churchill is adamant to keeping the British Empire intact.
      Then once England is “put in it’s place” and the US has a strong position in Asia, the hated Soviet Union could be dealt with. After all, Communism must be stopped, right? The US President is starting to see the light. The US military grows.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, the Japanese leaders in favor of peace are much stronger willed than we remember in our history. When the Japanese Army invaded Chinese Manchuria in 1931, all of the commanding officers involved were immediately arrested and imprisoned. The Army was called back into Korea. The War Hawks clamoring for a “strong” Japan suddenly slinked back into the holes they came from, fearing for their own freedom from prison. The new peaceful Japanese Government took further steps to punish the “impudent” military by drastically cutting military budgets. These actions earned Japan great applause in the League Of Nations and made for very good relations with China, who forgave Japan the assault on Manchuria when they saw that it was an illegal move by the military without the government’s endorsement. As further recompense and to build more unity in Asia not by sword, but through solidarity, Japan returns control of its possessions in Manchuria, and the islands of Formosa and Hainan, to the Chinese government.
      In rapid succession, the small Pacific nations of the Caroline Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Marianas, and Palau Island see the strengths of an allied Asia, and request to join the Japanese Protectorate.

In China, since the Kuomintang did not have to deal with a Japanese invasion, they were able to concentrate on hunting down and stomping out the Communists once and for all.
      Russia, witnessing the Kuomintang’s defeat of the Chinese Communists, distrusts the Chinese government and decides it would be a good idea to have a few eyes along the Russo/Sino borders. Thus some of the far eastern divisions are stationed along Russia’s borders with China. Also, seeing the large US military presence just across the Bearing Straits, and noting the somewhat more aggressive stance of the US Government in recent months, Russia stations protection divisions in their far east lands just to be safe. While diplomacy with the US has dropped as of late, would the US dare to attack the great Soviet Union? Perhaps a preemptive strike would be in order…

In Canada, they have also noticed the growth of the US Military machine and are aware of the negotiations between America and the Third Reich, with which they are already at war with. This has caused an increase in recruitment for Canada’s own defense. There is great worry that if the United States openly joins with the Third Reich that Canada’s own sovereignty would be threatened, never mind being able to help Britain.

1940 –
      In step with the German invasion of Denmark and Norway, the United States has annexed Greenland without a shot fired in resistance. The US, keen to continue its expansionism and war posture, announces a Tripartite Pact with Nazi Germany and Italy. Although the US eyes the territories in its own hemisphere and the Pacific as an ideal focus for its national interests, the President and Congress promise aid to her allies, and has the ambassador deliver a notice of war to London.

Spain, who, thanks to support from France, has recently defeated the Fascists in its civil war, and sees an opportunity to strike back at the United States and her Axis allies for its defeat 42 years prior, from which it had never fully recovered. The government of Spain announces a partnership with France, and prepares to go to war once again.

–—CHANGES TO THE BOARD-----

ASIA
    Siam is a strict neutral territory with a standing army of 2 Infantry.
    Formosa and Hainan belong to China.
    Philippines is a Japanese territory.
    Amur and Szechuan will have factories on them, therefore these territories are worth 2 IPCs.

EUROPE
    Spain is a Pro-Allies neutral territory.

LATIN AMERICA
    West Indies is a United Kingdom territory.
    Mexico and Southeast Mexico are a Pro-Allied neutral territories with a standing army of 3 Infantry each.
    Colombia borders sea zone 89.
    Venezuela and Chile are Pro-Allied neutral territories.
    Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Uruguay are Pro-Allied neutral territories with a standing army of 2 Infantry each and IPC values of 1.
    Bolivia is a Pro-Allied neutral territory with a standing army of 1 Infantry and an IPC value of 1.
    Argentina is a Pro-Axis neutral territory.
    Paraguay is a Pro-Axis neutral territory with a standing army of 1 Infantry and an IPC value of 1.
    Brazil is a strict neutral territory.

(In simpler terms: UK gets West Indies. Mexico and almost everything else becomes pro-allied, except Brazil (strict neutral) and Argentina + Paraguay (pro-Axis). If it was neutral and didn’t have an IPC value, it is now worth 1. If the standing army isn’t marked, it’s 2 Infantry - except Mexico (3), Southeast Mexico (3), Bolivia (1), and Paraguay (1).  US still has the Panama Canal.)

–—NATIONAL OBJECTIVES-----

United Kingdom:

• 5 IPCs if the United Kingdom controls Gibraltar, Egypt, India, Malaya, and Kwangtung.  Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.
    • 8 IPCs if the United Kingdom controls West Indies, and there are no Axis submarines in the North Atlantic (SZ 88-91, 102-112, 116-119, and 121-127. aka: Excluding the Baltic, Mediterranean, Hudson Bay, and Eastern US coast).  Theme: Access to vital wartime resources and maintaining center of influence in Latin America.
    • 5 IPCs if the Allies control Central America (Panama Canal).  Theme: Strategic advantage and trade with allies.
    • 2 IPCs if the Axis do not control any originally Pro-Allies territory in South America (Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, or Uruguay).  Theme: Unified support and propaganda value as champion of freedom in Latin America.

Commonwealth:

• 5 IPCs if the Commonwealth controls both New South Wales (Sydney) and Toronto (Ottowa).
      / OR 5 IPCs if the Commonwealth controls both New South Wales (Sydney) and Quebec.  Theme: Centers of power.
    • 5 IPCs if the Allies control Borneo, Sumatra, Java, Celebes, and Dutch New Guinea.  Theme: Access to raw materials.
    • 5 IPCs if the Allies control Central America (Panama Canal).  Theme: Strategic advantage and trade with allies.
    • 5 IPCs if the Allies control New Guinea, New Britain, Solomon Islands, and 3 of the following territories: Guam, Wake Island, Midway, Hawaiian Islands, Johnston Island, and Line Islands.  Theme: Defense perimeter and war progress.

Japan:
    When Japan Is Not at War with the United States:

• 15 IPCs if Japan is not at war with the United States.  Theme: Peacetime happiness and strategic resource trade with the United States.
    • 5 IPCs if the Allies control Borneo, Sumatra, Java, Celebes, and Dutch New Guinea.  Theme: Access to raw materials.

When Japan Is at War with the United States:

• 5 IPCs if Japan controls at least 2 Battleships and the territory of Korea.  Theme: Global recognition of Japan as a major power.
    • 5 IPCs if Japan controls all homeland territories (Japan, Okinawa, and Iwo Jima).  Theme: National integrity.
    • 5 IPCs if Japan controls the Philippines, Marianas, Palau Island, Caroline Islands, and Marshall Islands.  Theme: Fulfilling promise as protectorate of Asia.
    • 5 IPCs if the Allies control Guam, Gilbert Islands, Fiji, and Samoa.  Theme: Expansion of influence and protectorship of Asian-Pacific nations.

United States:

• 5 IPCs if the United States controls all original Pacific territories and 2 other island territories in the Pacific. (New Zealand and Japan do not count. New Guinea does.)  Theme: Maintaining national sovereignty and expansion of influence in the Pacific.
    • 10 IPCs if the United States controls all Western Hemisphere continental territories, except Brazil, but including Greenland. (Aleutian Islands and West Indies not required.)  Theme: Manifest destiny.
    • 5 IPCs if the Axis control all Dutch Pacific territories (Sumatra, Java, Celebes, Dutch New Guinea).
      / OR 8 IPCs if the Axis control all Dutch Pacific territories AND Malaya, Borneo, and New Guinea.  Theme: Access to raw materials.
    • 5 IPCs if the Axis control at least 3 original Soviet territories AND the United States has at least one land unit in an original Soviet territory.  Theme: Practical success against rival Communist ideology.
    • 5 IPCs if the United States control Japan (Tokyo).  Theme: Winning the war.
    • 5 IPCs if the United States control New South Wales (Sydney) and Ontario (Ottowa).  Theme: Winning the war.
    • 5 IPCs if the United States control Kiangsu (Shanghai).  Theme: Winning the war.
    • 5 IPCs if the United States control India (Calcutta).  Theme: Winning the war.
    • 8 IPCs (one time only) the first time the United States controls both the Philippines and West Indies.  Theme: Propaganda boost for recapturing rightful territory.

China:
    Political Situation: China is in the final stage of ending a long civil war and routing all Communist opposition. As such, China starts with 0 IPCs.

• 2 IPCs if the Allies control the Burma Road (Szechuan, Yunnan, Burma, and India).  Theme: Military supply line.

France:

• Troop bonus: When Spain joins the Allies under the control of the French player, that player immediately places his or her choice of up to 12 IPCs’ worth of any French land units on the territory Spain for free. This happens only once per game.  Theme: Mobilizing as per stated alliance.
    • Troop bonus: When the territory France is liberated or recaptured by the Allies, the player controlling France immediately places 4 Infantry on the territory France for free. This happens only once per game.  Theme: National liberation and national prestige.

Italy:
    Italy’s second national objective is changed to read:

• 5 IPCs if Axis powers control at least 3 of the following territories: Gibraltar, Southern France, Greece, Egypt, and Spain.  Theme: Stated national objectives - Greater Roman Empire.

Soviet Union:
    Soviet Union’s first national objective is changed to read:

• 5 IPCs if the convoy in sea zone 125 is free of Axis warships, and Archangel is controled by the Soviet Union, and there are no units belonging to other Allied powers present in any territories originally controlled by the Soviet Union.  Theme: National morale and access to Allied material.

Soviet Union gains these additional national objectives:

• 5 IPCs if the Soviet Union controls Alaska AND if the Allies control Aleutian Islands.  Theme: Strategic interest and practical success against rival ideology.
    • 2 IPCs any time the Soviet Union liberates an occupied Allied (non-Soviet) territory.  Theme: Propaganda value and spread of communism.

• v1.4

––GAMEPLAY CHANGES-----

1. China is now an industrialized nation. It can only build units at factories. It does not require the Burma Road to build artillery. China cannot build Battleships or Aircraft Carriers.
    2. China starts with 0 IPCs.
    3. China may not move men into Kwangtung (Hong Kong) unless China is at war with the United States.
    4. Japan and China cannot move men into a territory controlled by the Soviet Union until they are at war with Germany.
    5. The United States may not move vessels into Sea Zones 5, 6, 17, 19, and 20 without declaring war on Japan.
    6. Other nations are not restricted in their movement.
    7. Japan cannot declare war until Turn 3. China can only declare war if Japan is at war against that power. Any nation that declares war on China will also declare war on Japan.
    8. The Soviet Union may break it’s Non-Aggression Pact with Germany to declare war on Germany on Turn 3.
    9. The Soviet-Mongolian Defense Pact is changed to read: “If any Axis power attacks any Soviet-controlled territory that is adjacent to any Mongolian territory…”
    10. Dutch territories are treated as defenseless territories open to capture by any player, and doing so does not trigger any state of war.
    TURN ORDER and Starting IPCs
    Germany - 30 IPCs
    United Kingdom - 39 IPCs
    United States - 46 IPCs
    Japan - 15 IPCs
    Russia - 38 IPCs
    Italy - 10 IPCs
    France - 19 IPCs
    The Commonwealth - 17 IPCs
    China - 0 IPCs
    (China will earn 25 IPCs from territories if no territories are gained or lost in the first turn.)

–—SETUP CHANGES---- (+/- compared to OOB)

Germany
    Germany: +1 Tank
    Western Germany: +1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 117: -1 Submarine

Italy
    Northern Italy: -1 AAA
    Southern Italy:  +2 Mechanized Infantry, -3 Infantry
    Sicily: +1 Infantry
    Tobruk: +1 Artillery
    Sea Zone 95: +1 Destroyer

United States
    Alaska: 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Western United States: 4 Infantry, 3 Mechanized Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 AAA, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, Air Base, Naval Base, Industrial Complex
    Central United States: 5 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 3 Tanks, 1 AAA, 1 Strategical Bomber, Industrial Complex
    Eastern United States: 6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 AAA, 2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber, Air Base, Naval Base, Industrial Complex
    Greenland: 1 Infantry
    Central America: 2 Infantry
    Hawaiian Islands: 3 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 2 Tanks, 2 AAA, 1 Strategical Bomber, Air Base, Naval Base
    Guam: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, Air Base
    Midway: 1 Infantry, Air Base
    Wake Island: 1 Infantry, 1 Tactical Bomber, Air Base
    Sea Zone 1: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 10: 2 Transports, 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Aircraft Carrier (w/ 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber), 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 25: 1 Aircraft Carrier (w/ 2 Fighters)
    Sea Zone 26: 2 Transports, 2 Cruisers, 1 Aircraft Carrier (w/ 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber), 1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 29: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 30: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 31: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 102: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 121: 1 Submarine, 1 Cruiser

France
    Gibraltar: +2 Infantry
    Morocco: -1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 72: -1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 94: +1 Destroyer

United Kingdom
    New Foundland / Labrador: +1 Infantry, +1 Tank, +Naval Base
    West Indies: +3 Infantry, +1 Artillery, +2 AAA, +Naval Base
    British Guiana: +2 Infantry
    India: -3 Infantry, -2 AAA, Major Factory
    Burma: +1 Artillery, -1 Infantry, -1 Fighter
    Malaya: -1 Infantry
    Borneo: +2 Infantry
    New South Wales: +1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 37: +1 Cruiser, -1 Battleship
    Sea Zone 39: +1 Battleship, -1 Transport, -1 Destroyer, -1 Cruiser
    Sea Zone 89: +1 Transport, +2 Destroyers
    Sea Zone 106: +1 Submarine, -1 Transport, -1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 116: +1 Transport, +1 Destroyer
    No units in Canadian territories.

The Commonwealth (Canada)
    Western Canada: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, Commonwealth control marker
    Alberta / Saskatchewan / Manitoba: 1 Infantry
    Ontario: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 2 AAA, 1 Fighter
    Quebec: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mechanized Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 AAA, 1 Fighter, Major Factory
    New Brunswick / Nova Scotia: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, -Naval Base
    Sea Zone 106: 1 Transport

(ANZAC)
    New South Wales: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 AAA, Naval Base, Major Factory
    Queensland: 3 Infantry, 1 Fighter, Air Base, Naval Base
    Western Australia: 1 Infantry
    New Zealand: 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Fighters, Air Base, Naval Base
    New Britain: 1 Infantry
    Solomon Islands: 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 50: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 62: 1 Transport, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 63: 1 Transport, 1 Cruiser

Soviet Union (Pacific)
    Soviet Far East: 3 Infantry, 1 AAA
    Siberia: 2 Infantry
    Amur: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, Naval Base, Major Factory (Amur has an IPC value of 2)
    Buryatia: 1 Infantry
    Yakut SSR: 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Yenisey: 2 Mechanized Infantry
    Sea Zone 5: 1 Transport, 1 Submarine, 1 Cruiser

China
    Kansu: 1 Infantry
    Sikang: 1 Infantry
    Shensi: 1 Infantry
    Szechwan: 2 Infantry, 1 Minor Factory (Szechwan has an IPC value of 2)
    Hopei: 1 Infantry
    Anhwe: 1 Infantry
    Manchuria: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Jehol: 1 Infantry
    Shantung: 2 Infantry
    Kiangsu: 1 Infantry, 2 Mechanized Infantry 1 Artillery, Naval Base
    Kiangsi: 1 Infantry
    Hunan: 1 Infantry
    Kwangsi: 1 Infantry
    Yunnan: 1 Infantry
    Formosa: Chinese control marker
    Hainan: Chinese control marker
    Sea Zone 19: 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 36: 1 Submarine

Japan
    Japan: 6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 3 AAA, 2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber, Air Base, Naval Base, Industrial Complex
    Korea: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
    Okinawa: 2 Infantry
    Iwo Jima: 2 Infantry
    Philippines: 4 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Fighter, Air Base, Naval Base, Japanese control marker
    Marshall Islands: 1 Infantry
    Caroline Islands: 2 Infantry, Naval Base
    Marianas: 1 Infantry
    Palau Island: 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 6: 1 Transport, 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Aircraft Carrier (w/ 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber), 2 Battleships
    Sea Zone 17: 1 Submarine
    Sea Zone 19: 1 Transport, 1 Destroyer
    Sea Zone 33: 1 Cruiser, 1 Aircraft Carrier (w/ 1 Fighter)
    Sea Zone 35: 1 Transport, 1 Submarine, 1 Destroyer

Notes:

• I am using the 1940G 2nd Edition.
    • This is played with Halifax Rules, with South Africa as part of the United Kingdom.
    • You will probably need more grey unit tokens to play this. There are a lot more units on the board.
    • I recommend the usage of French troops for China’s non-infantry units.
    • Ontario (Ottowa) DOES border Central United States and Eastern United States.
    • New Brunswick / Nova Scotia does NOT border Quebec.

• –—HOW THE WAR IS WON-----

The Axis wins the game by controlling either 8 victory cities on the Europe map (excluding Ottowa) or any any 6 victory cities on the Pacific map at the end of a round of turns, as long as they control an Axis capital (Berlin, Rome, or Washington).

The Allies win by controlling Berlin, plus either Washington or San Francisco, at the end of a round, as long as they control an Allied capital (London, Paris, Moscow, or Tokyo).

I’m anxious to hear everyone’s thoughts! Especially yours, knp7765.

• I managed to do a couple rounds of self-playtesting. Based on that I made some small changes to almost all the sections, and fixed some errors. (Hello v1.2!)  :-D

I was very happy how it turned out so far. But I’m not you guys! I’m sure someone can point out a gap I missed, or a better idea. (It’s cool to just say I’m awesome, too. I dig flattery.)
    Seriously, any feedback is good feedback. And I’d be thrilled to hear how a game went. One thing about this that excites me so much is that it seems to be very re-playable and can go off in several different directions!

May the dice be ever in your favor.
    (couldn’t resist)

• Customizer

Hello EnoughSaid,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I haven’t looked over your setup thoroughly yet, but from what I have seen it looks pretty good. You have some pretty good ideas. I like how you expanded some on my alternate history. I want to try out your setup and see how it goes in an actual game. It might be a while as other things have kind of gotten in the way of gaming for now.
    We did finish my first game. It took 8 rounds. Germany finally captured Moscow. It wasn’t as big of a battle as it usually is because in this game Russia decided to be a little more offensive. They kept hitting back at Germany and were successful at keeping Germany in place for a couple of rounds. When it got to the point where Russia’s attacks were not successful and Germany started advancing, then Russia finally started buying defensively, although it was really too late as Germany flooded tanks and mechs into Russia.
    The US also took Shanghai for good and occupied all the coastal territories and started advancing inland. They also destroyed all the Far East Russians and started rolling across northern Russia. Since London was taken by Germany round 3, Calcutta ended up being an easy capture for the US.
    Italy finally got the upper hand in the Med and North Africa thanks to a little help from German and US naval help and started advancing on Egypt with a growing land force. Egypt seems to be where the Allies decided to make a last stand. There were British, Commonwealth, French and even Soviet units all piled up there in Egypt. It would have taken a couple of more rounds or so for Italy to build up enough forces, but Egypt would have fallen. All the Allied capitals were captured.
    Two things I noticed about my version of this game are:
    1 > Sealion was too easy to accomplish. Without the threat of a US liberation or even US attack somewhere in western Europe, Germany really has nothing to fear from launching Sealion. There needs to be some other way to make it somewhat more risky or perhaps harder for Germany to take out London. The way things are, I see no possible way for London to be liberated once taken. France is taken out round 1, Russia has no navy and can’t afford to buy any, Japan is on the other side of the world. The only other ally is Commonwealth which could possibly retake London from Canada, except they are threatened by the big Axis US.
    2 > I’m also wondering if the US should be allowed to overrun Canada so early. For one thing, that cuts the Commonwealth income almost in half right away. The other thing is that Canada can not help the UK in Europe or even stand up to the US. I will have to look into this.

• USA aggressive, Japan peaceful, is it a Cold War scenario ?

• @ Narvik
    Nope, not Cold War. The idea is history went a different path after the Spanish-American War, leading to America joining the Axis and Japan joining the Allies. It’s still 1940 WWII, just an alternate timeline.

@knp
    I’m glad you like the story additions! It all just seemed to come together. Building from the bottom-up, I had 3 goals at the start: The need to make invading London not the obvious go-to win, the need to cut US income down while still making it feel like America, and an objective to turn South America into a conflict zone. With the Philippines and West Indies on the chopping block, it went from there and the pieces just fell together.

The biggest reason, I think, that your game’s Sealion was too easy, is pretty simple: you gave the USA 387 IPCs worth of naval units. For comparison, OOB Japan is 234. At my present iteration, USA has 268.
    I decided right away to take out all the transports in the Atlantic. Spain popping up with 11 troops or so demands attention from Germany. Thanks to Halifax, UK’s income is centralized, so more can be spent in the Atlantic. Furthermore, Russia can break the NAP on Turn 3 now instead of Turn 4. All serve to counterbalance Sealion.

I’m OK with Canada getting overrun. It should lose. It doesn’t make sense not to, and the border mapping isn’t conducive to a drawn out fight. But, while Canada goes down, it can still put up a fight! While the US is focused on Canada, it won’t be focused on Latin America or it might spread itself too thin, giving time for UK/Commonwealth to build up an army down there. To make up for the lost income, the Commonwealth can still nab some territories in Indonesia and/or South America.

I did just make a couple more changes, too.
    V1.2 –-> V1.3
    -Moved US submarine from SZ 101 to SZ 102 (I didn’t intend for US to be able to scramble fighters to defend the sub.)
    -Closed a loophole that would let China throw itself in the war early, should US choose to invade Hong Kong on T2. (gameplay change rule #3)
    -Added 1 AAA to Ontario and Quebec, and 1 Infantry to Queensland.

• I think I overreacted on the Italian situation. I foresaw UK being able to focus more on Italy in this compared to a normal game, since Britain’s income is centralized due to Halifax, and because it can probably afford to redirect Pacific forces west since USA in the Pacific isn’t as immediate of a threat to Calcutta as Japan was. Additionally, to defend the mobilization of Spain, I moved France’s destroyer by Madagascar to the Mediterranean to block off a Italian T1 transport heading to Gibraltar.
    To counterbalance that I made one of Italy’s NO more attainable, upgraded 2 infantry to mechs, gave a free tank and artillery already in Africa, combined the Somalian infantry with the Ethiopians which is almost like giving an extra infantry, gave a free destroyer, and took away an ANZAC infantry from Egypt and a UK AAA from Malta.

But there’s another big factor to consider. Like, uh, I don’t know… USA PLAYING ON THE OTHER TEAM, MAYBE?? ;)

So! I’m changing some of that, and that’s the biggest change of these tweaks here. I acknowledge most of these changes are in favor of the Allies. I now present v1.4, which I intend to be playable as-is and the last of this series of changes, until I play some real games myself or get feedback from you kind or heartless souls. ^_^

v1.3 —> v1.4 changes
    -Burma: -1 Infantry, -1 Fighter, +1 Artillery
    -switched Cruiser and Battleship in SZ37/SZ39 (this and the Burma changes were actually done a while ago, I just forgot to write them down)
    -removed extra tank in Libya, re-separated Somalian infantry, returned Malta AAA
    -added to Story (Greenland)
    -placed Commonwealth transport in SZ106 (Canada should have SOME sort of Navy, right?)
    -removed extra Inf in Slovakia
    -changed Eastern Mex standing army to 3 Inf (from 2)
    -simplified Commonwealth defense perimeter NO
    -modified Commonwealth 1st NO to require Ontario or Quebec (to encourage US player to strike fast and not overwhelm them separately)
    -modified UK anti-sub NO to exclude eastern US coast
    -fixed Russian lend-lease NO to not penalize Russia for support from allies
    -added 2 Inf in Borneo
    -added 1 Inf in Hawaii
    -fixed a conflicting statement about Bolivia (Bolivia is Pro-Allies)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m