• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I actually like that last suggestion quite a lot. Though I would exclude Pretoria for the simple reason that there is no VC for it drawn on the map. Perhaps this could be adapted into Halifax Option 2, since it only matters if Commonwealth includes South Africa, where you could maybe add a 20th VC, but I think the same concept could work right now, for the two VCs that do apply.

No reason why you couldn’t do this for Ottawa or Sydney, since both those VCs are drawn on the map, and they are both key territories in Halifax option 1 and option 2.

I don’t recall the Capital thing receiving much discussion. I brought it up on page 3 of this thread but received no direct reply…
    @Black_Elk:

a normal Capital in Sydney with the normal mechanics, (as a bait for Japan, since unlike Ottawa, Sydney is contested)

I then proceeded to come down on the Dual capital concept, but I guess upon reflection, I definitely prefer a dual capital to No capital at all. This aside was overtaken entirely by a discussion of the 3 tiered production profiles, and what colors to use for factories, so it was never really addressed, but I still think its relevant.  
    :-D

Basically in the case suggested most recently, if either VC is taken (Ottawa/Sydney), it awards the entire Commonwealth purse. But on the following round, providing Commonwealth still retains the other VC, it may still collect income.

Its not perfect, from the standpoint of wanting all player/nations to work in the same way, but China already screws that ambition anyway, no matter what we do, there will always be weird nation specific rules applying in G40. The way I see it, having 2 capitals, where either can be taken awarding the full purse to the nation that captures it, is much better than a system with no capital for Commonwealth. And definitely better than a system where the money is returned to the Bank rather than awarded to the conqueror. Otherwise the Halifax rules as stated give no real incentive for Axis to go after Commonwealth as a target.

This is mainly from a Pacific gameplay perspective, since Ottawa is unlikely to fall. But if somehow Italy or Germany do manage to take Ontario, then I feel they should be awarded the Commonwealth purse for doing so. A game where both VCs are taken (as outlined in the initial post for Halifax) and the money is returned to the bank, is unlikely to ever occur in an actual game, so its seems like a waste of space in the rules to focus attention on such a scenario. I prefer Targets territories, over safe havens and secure income for Commonwealth, since I think it would make the gameplay more enjoyable overall.

I would also suggest preemptively, that many people probably voted +1 to the lead Halifax post, not as a way of expressing perfect agreement about all the details in that post (which has been edited several times anyway) but rather they voted +1 as I did, because they want to support the general idea of the thread/subject. Or at least, it should probably be put to a separate poll vote. I’m not sure I see any advantage in closing off modification to Halifax simply because it has certain number of + votes, especially if there is still work to be done. When I voted +1 for example I did not take that to = “the rules as stated shouldn’t ever be altered” as it was still a work in progress when I voted, and because I really don’t think adequate time was allowed to playtest any of this stuff, before reaching a final decision.
    :-D

For example, this lack of a Capital for Commonwealth, is something which did not seem hugely significant to me at first gloss, and certainly not when I gave this thread the thumbs up, but now I think it is ultimately problematic for the ruleset. No capital for Commonwealth, means no viable target for Japan in the Pacific (since Calcutta is gone), which I think undermines the gameplay on this side of the board.

At the very least, we should have an option to allow some form of Capital for Commonwealth, with normal Capital capture rules (e.g. conqueror takes the money). You can put it in Commonwealth option 2 if you like, since that’s the option I have been testing. But I really think it would be better for both options 1/2.

Any thoughts here? I mean now that we have a tripleA version of this Mod, all this stuff is coming under review for me. Right now the Capital rules are the most glaring. I feel like without a Capital, Commonwealth is not a viable target for Axis/Japan. And Japan really needs a target in the Pacific. Anzac/Sydney would be cooler than India was, since it drives Japan more into direct conflict with North America.

Also worth thinking about, can we please provide better Victory conditions in Halifax than are available OOB?
    There is a discussion about this stuff going on right now in the G40 forums, and I think the VC conditions of the boxed game just aren’t making the cut for a lot of people. It would be helpful if Halifax had its own Victory conditions, designed to support the other set up changes. And I would vote that these be determined by a set number of VCs controlled per side, not split up theater for Axis the way normal G40.2 has it. Anyhow, these are some of the main issues I see right now with the Halifax core, that it would be nice to resolve. After all, if someone really has an issue with anything, then they can post arguments or suggestions and we can figure it out. Nothing is ever perfect on the first attempt, as A&A in general proves, and Global sec edition proves. This mod should be no different.

• New players get confused the divided UK AND then there is Anzac. Que??? is the reaction I have seen.

A Commonwealth is a very usefull way to solve that.
    Using the Anzac units and markers this makes it  much easier for new players to also play UK/Commonwealth.

Does the Commonwealth need a capital at all? it is sevral different dominions under joint leadership- not one separate nation.
    No capital= major boost (no way of stopping them fighting on if one part falls). As japan is kind off überstrong and in reach of calcutta nd/or Sydney I whould not mind at all.

• Sponsor

Thanks Magro, I haven’t visited this tread for some time but I plan on updating it and providing a 3rd Halifax option. Can’t answer the question on capitals until I reveiw more. Cheers

• There has been some discussion about what to do with the ‘3-unit’ minor factories already on the board at startup. YoungGrasshoper has mentioned in the discussion that they should be changed to major factories, but it is not mentioned in the first post of this thread, so it is somewhat confusing  :?

Do they become ‘5-unit’ major factories, or do they stay ‘3-unit’ minor factories?

• Sponsor

@Munck:

There has been some discussion about what to do with the ‘3-unit’ minor factories already on the board at startup. YoungGrasshoper has mentioned in the discussion that they should be changed to major factories, but it is not mentioned in the first post of this thread, so it is somewhat confusing  :?

Do they become ‘5-unit’ major factories, or do they stay ‘3-unit’ minor factories?

All minor factories in the setup become major factories (except for South Africa), but they are downgraded to minor factories once captured. I will update the 1st post soon.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Hi all, been a long time lurker on these forums, but haven’t commented much on anything. Hoping to be a more active part of the community. Been a long time AA player as well.

Sorry to post here on something that is largely settled (I read this whole thread today). First off, I love this ruleset YoungGrasshopper, great job to you and all the others.

To comment on the recent question of CW capitals and lack of Japanese objectives, what about having a limited cash haul? If the Japanese take Sydney or Ottawa (or Praetoria if you’re so inclined) they receive maybe half the CW bank? Or maybe you role two dice to decide how much they lose? This way the CW can still act on their next turn from their other production centers, while still maintaining an objective/purpose for the Japanese to invade Australia. If we’re nervous of lack of Japanese goals because of a lack of capitals for them to take, perhaps you keep a similar system for Calcutta even though it isn’t a capital anymore?

This is more a thought on if we’re truly worried about a lack of Japanese direction, as the others above have alluded to.

Any feedback is great, glad to take part. Look forwarding to getting to know you all.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Welcome Chris. Good to have you as a member.

• Sponsor

Hey Chris_Henry, and welcome…

To tell you the truth I think Halifax rules are broken, especially the ICs and the commonwealth split. I have since simplified and refined some of the ideas here in a different house rule set that I am still play testing. Please share your house rule ideas by creating a new topic so the community can give some input, I’m working on a pretty massive customization right now and haven’t be able to visit house rules lately…

Thanks for your comments.

YG

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

For what it’s worth I still think this HR mod is entertaining.

Which options did you play test YG?

Given all the input and ideas in this thread, I think its still worth kicking around.

I would submit than any balance issues could surely be corrected through National Objectives. Perhaps your suggested NOs for UK, did not provide enough to compensate for the inclusion of the Commonwealth?

Did you play option 2 (with South Africa)? Or just option 1?

I also like the limited cash haul concept

• Sponsor

@Black_Elk:

For what it’s worth I still think this HR mod is entertaining.

Which options did you play test YG?

Given all the input and ideas in this thread, I think its still worth kicking around.

I would submit than any balance issues could surely be corrected through National Objectives. Perhaps your suggested NOs for UK, did not provide enough to compensate for the inclusion of the Commonwealth?

Did you play option 2 (with South Africa)? Or just option 1?

I also like the limited cash haul concept

I have played both options and I have found that much of the Allied income is pushed to the outside on spawning locations far from the fighting. I now perfer a system where the UK Europe economy is it’s own nation separate from the UK Pacific economy… I also like combining ANZAC income and territories with UK Pacific (with Calcutta as it’s capital) in the same way Canadian income and territories are combined with UK Europe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m