John Brown's Painted G1940 Set - by Spitfire38

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@jluna1273:

Oh man, such incredible paint jobs and so much to use as reference material. I wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to approach the ANZAC forces, but your pieces are too good to not attempt to replicate. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. Spitfire did an amazing job on these pieces. What ever helps you on his thread or any of my threads, your welcome to them.

I’ve just started painting for the first time in January. It is a lot fun. I’m currently about to begin my German ground forces and infantry.

I’m glad you liked my Anzac forces, and I’m sure Spitfire will be glad you responded to his paint jobs. :-)

• '16 Customizer

Hi all! Here’s a few teaser photos for the UK Pacific pieces that are to be finished in the next two weeks. Some are unwashed or unfinished, but they are nearing the final stages.

Spitfire, I’m very excited about these pieces. They look great. I can’t wait to see your final product. :-D

• These are looking good spitfire…some very colourful selections for the brits! Cool green and black combo on the Matilda tanks.  Did or have you painted the Stirling bombers yet? ( if it made JB’s roster selection)  I also like the grey in the Lancaster.

Love the airplanes! Great work!

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

These are looking good spitfire…some very colourful selections for the brits! Cool green and black combo on the Matilda tanks.  Did or have you painted the Stirling bombers yet? ( if it made JB’s roster selection)  I also like the grey in the Lancaster.

Yes, I have painted the Stirlings! They were fun to paint because their size gives lots of room to play around with patterns.

The lighting is a little off in the photos, so the tanks are a green and a very dark green that appears black. Once I add the tracks and maybe some drybrushing, it should look more complete.

I would have to agree about the Lancaster. The gray and greenish scheme for the air force was my favorite scheme to paint out of all the UK Pacific pieces.

Thanks jwo and LHoffman!

• '16 Customizer

After many months and so many hours of painting, I am so very happy to present the UK Pacific pieces to you all.

The British Empire will finally have something to protect their interests in the Far East! Though the end of British control was to come soon after the war with independence in India/Pakistan, Singapore, and Hong Kong, they are still alive and well and eager to push the Japanese out of their territory.

Glamour shots below - see the individual photos on the earlier pages. I have edited the UK post with the photos.

Enjoy the pieces, and may you all continue to paint and share!

Thanks for the pictures. These are fantastic, as a viewer. You did a wonderful job, buddy. :-D

John

• wow man they way you have them photo’d its like they are being assembled painted and presented straight out of a factory! they look so impressive all in rows together this must have been a lot of work! did you just paint one color at a time per unit just cause of the sheer volume of units ?  The british paratroopers and special forces look very cool! love the burgundy beret hats! hats off to you Spitfire!  are we going to see you tackle the germans or americans next??

jwo, don’t forget the individual photos on page one to get a better view of each piece. :-D

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

wow man they way you have them photo’d its like they are being assembled painted and presented straight out of a factory! they look so impressive all in rows together this must have been a lot of work! did you just paint one color at a time per unit just cause of the sheer volume of units ?  The british paratroopers and special forces look very cool! love the burgundy beret hats! hats off to you Spitfire!  are we going to see you tackle the germans or americans next??

Thanks jwo! The red berets for the special forces were based off of the British paratroopers that jumped into Arnhem in Operation Market Garden. Interestingly enough, the PIAT anti-tank weapon that this paratrooper has in the image below was the only anti-tank capabilities that the British troops had to fight off the SS Panzer division stationed in Arnhem. The consequences of bad intel…

As to my painting process: I always paint in an assembly line fashion unless I am painting a few of my personal pieces. I will go through and paint a certain layer on all the pieces, and then move on to the next layer for all the pieces. For example, the infantry begin with the base color of their uniform, which is followed by the base of the piece, then the rucksack, then the helmet, gun, canteen, entrenching tool, etc, and then the flesh. It’s definitely a process. It makes things efficient, conserves paint, and ensures a measure of quality control and consistency.

And John is having me paint the UK Europe pieces next, so you’ll see more of the British!

Spitfire, what color’s did you use on the Ocean Camo Spitfire fighters, so that I may paint one, since one was missing out of my pieces?

jwo, the US Pacific and Europe will follow next, then Italy. Beyond this, I haven’t decided. :-D

• '16 Customizer

@John:

Spitfire, what color’s did you use on the Ocean Camo Spitfire fighters, so that I may paint one, since one was missing out of my pieces?

The green I believe was mixed, but a good starting point would be Folk Art’s “Light Gray” acrylic, and the green is likely based off of Folk Art’s “Italian Sage”.

@Spitfire38:

@John:

The green I believe was mixed, but a good starting point would be Folk Art’s “Light Gray” acrylic, and the green is likely based off of Folk Art’s “Italian Sage”.

Ok, it is blue in color, so are you saying that the Italian Sage is a green color that looks blue or did you mix something with the Italian Sage, to make it look blue?

Sorry, just trying to figure it out. :-D

• '16 Customizer

Oh, sorry, the Ocean Camo! Right, that was the blue one. I mixed that blue from one or two blues and some white, so I don’t really remember the “recipe” for that. The dark stripes are a dark blue mixed with a dark grey to give it a deep tone.

@Spitfire38:

Oh, sorry, the Ocean Camo! Right, that was the blue one. I mixed that blue from one or two blues and some white, so I don’t really remember the “recipe” for that. The dark stripes are a dark blue mixed with a dark grey to give it a deep tone.

Ok, thanks buddy! :-)

• '14 Customizer

Wow these are awesome.  Love the Infantry and the planes the best.

@cyanight:

Wow these are awesome.  Love the Infantry and the planes the best.  Â

Thanks Cyanight. I appreciate it. Spitfire did a really good job on these. I’m really proud of them. :-)

• '16 Customizer

Thanks for the feedback Cyanight!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m