John Brown's Painted G1940 Set - by Spitfire38

• '16 Customizer

@Tall:

Spitfire38 and others,

––VERY NICE WORK!
    They all look impressive and ready for combat. I’m glad John now has a good start on his painted units. Again, well done.
    ----Oh, I think I saw some “senorRITA” bombers along with the “Guacacmole” paint scheme.  :-D

Tall Paul

Thanks! Nice pun ;) I always appreciate the humor you all bring to the site.

• Customizer

@Spitfire38:

@Tall:

Spitfire38 and others,

––VERY NICE WORK!
    They all look impressive and ready for combat. I’m glad John now has a good start on his painted units. Again, well done.
    ----Oh, I think I saw some “senorRITA” bombers along with the “Guacacmole” paint scheme.  :-D

Tall Paul

Thanks! Nice pun ;) I always appreciate the humor you all bring to the site.

––Laughter,….it’s what makes the world go 'round!

Tall Paul

• looking great spitfire.  Going to be great too follow this post too see all your units for the countries and see what schemes you paint.  Are you starting with all the planes first? I like the holy guacamole shceme…looks like you mixed that color nicely!  John brown certainly hired a great customizer !

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

looking great spitfire.  Going to be great too follow this post too see all your units for the countries and see what schemes you paint.  Are you starting with all the planes first? I like the holy guacamole shceme…looks like you mixed that color nicely!  John brown certainly hired a great customizer !

Thanks man! I’m really looking forward to painting all the other units too - you’re supposed to love your hobby, right?

John’s the boss; he picks which nations and schemes I’m to paint, and then I just go to work in whatever order I want. We’ll be completing the Japanese first, and the second nation is TBD. I’m almost done with the navy, although decalling takes a lot longer than I expected :P

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

JWO, if HBG gets their UK sets in by next month, they will be next, otherwise it is the Chinese Infantry and the Australians. :-D

• Thanks man! I’m really looking forward to painting all the other units too - you’re supposed to love your hobby, right?

John’s the boss; he picks which nations and schemes I’m to paint, and then I just go to work in whatever order I want. We’ll be completing the Japanese first, and the second nation is TBD. I’m almost done with the navy, although decalling takes a lot longer than I expected :P

Cant wait too see how you did the Japanese navy! I really enjoyed painting my japanese fleet probably the funnest cause you get soo many naval units on the board too start! did john brown send you the HBG Japanese expansion and supplement sets?  their yamato mould and Nagato is awesome you’ll love painting the details!

• I heard someone say 5 more weeks for the UK set from HBG……fingers crossed, I’m anxious for that set!  Auzzies will be cool too see! the have a great infantry mould in Ed 2 don’t they!?! one of my favs  :-D

@jwo1984:

Thanks man! I’m really looking forward to painting all the other units too - you’re supposed to love your hobby, right?

Cant wait too see how you did the Japanese navy! I really enjoyed painting my japanese fleet probably the funnest cause you get soo many naval units on the board too start! did john brown send you the HBG Japanese expansion and supplement sets? � their yamato mould and Nagato is awesome you’ll love painting the details!

I did send him the supplement, as well as the expansion sets. There will be 2 color schemes for the Japanese Navy.

There will be a camo scheme as well as the grey scheme. Capital ships will have the rising sun flag on them.

I’m probably more excited about this navy than I was for the air force, because of the new sets.

I can’t wait till he posts the pictures on here. :-D

• hey spitefire how you enjoying painting the Japanese naval pieces? any progress pics you can share???

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

hey spitefire how you enjoying painting the Japanese naval pieces? any progress pics you can share???

I’ve got better than progress pics.  :-) Finished products! I’ve edited the Japanese post on page 1 to reflect the navy. Constructive criticism and opinions always welcome.

@Spitfire38:

@jwo1984:

hey spitefire how you enjoying painting the Japanese naval pieces? any progress pics you can share???

I’ve got better than progress pics.  :-) Finished products! I’ve edited the Japanese post on page 1 to reflect the navy. Constructive criticism and opinions always welcome.

Man, all I got to say is wow, I’m very pleased with the navy. It turned out super awesome. I can’t wait to get these. :-D

• wow man I am speechless! the navy turned out stunning! really like your choice in colors, the yamato and nagato looked so good in each scheme! great job on the HBG destroyers too and the I400 super subs! I also like the variety of OOB and HBG piece selections John Brown, had the A&A 1941 Kongo in there too ! cant wait too see the other nations man! Thanks for posting and inspiring.

One of my main goals is to incorporate as many HBG as possible, some things, unfortunately, I left out, but hope to come back too, after this set. :-)

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

wow man I am speechless! the navy turned out stunning! really like your choice in colors, the yamato and nagato looked so good in each scheme! great job on the HBG destroyers too and the I400 super subs! I also like the variety of OOB and HBG piece selections John Brown, had the A&A 1941 Kongo in there too ! cant wait too see the other nations man! Thanks for posting and inspiring.

Inspiration - as Tall Paul says, that’s the reason we customize! I’m glad that other people can enjoy and learn from them.

I’m really happy with how they turned out as well. I almost lost hope somewhere in the middle of painting the disruptor, just because it was taking three times as long as the others. But, as I have experienced time and time again, it all comes together in the final stages, and then BOOM, they look great and I’m happy with them.

I based the disruptor camo off of Allworkandnoclay’s dirsuptor, but I added a fourth tone of tan/brown to the pieces, as I felt they needed more contrast. I was a bit stumped on which color to do the drybrush highlights in, as the piece is four different colors, but I went with a light gray, and it ended up turning the dark gray undercoat into a nice steely blue color, and brought the color palette together. My personal faves are the transports.

The Wood and Iron scheme was roughly based off of another user, Swedo’s, scheme. They are somewhere else on this subforum.

@John:

One of my main goals is to incorporate as many HBG as possible, some things, unfortunately, I left out, but hope to come back too, after this set. :-)

I just took a trip over to the HBG site to look at some of the pieces they have coming, and I’m really excited to get my brushes on them :) Send em on over haha!

@Spitfire38:

@jwo1984:

wow man I am speechless! the navy turned out stunning! really like your choice in colors, the yamato and nagato looked so good in each scheme! great job on the HBG destroyers too and the I400 super subs! I also like the variety of OOB and HBG piece selections John Brown, had the A&A 1941 Kongo in there too ! cant wait too see the other nations man! Thanks for posting and inspiring.

Inspiration - as Tall Paul says, that’s the reason we customize! I’m glad that other people can enjoy and learn from them.

I’m really happy with how they turned out as well. I almost lost hope somewhere in the middle of painting the disruptor, just because it was taking three times as long as the others. But, as I have experienced time and time again, it all comes together in the final stages, and then BOOM, they look great and I’m happy with them.

I based the disruptor camo off of Allworkandnoclay’s dirsuptor, but I added a fourth tone of tan/brown to the pieces, as I felt they needed more contrast. I was a bit stumped on which color to do the drybrush highlights in, as the piece is four different colors, but I went with a light gray, and it ended up turning the dark gray undercoat into a nice steely blue color, and brought the color palette together. My personal faves are the transports.

The Wood and Iron scheme was roughly based off of another user, Swedo’s, scheme. They are somewhere else on this subforum.

@John:

I just took a trip over to the HBG site to look at some of the pieces they have coming, and I’m really excited to get my brushes on them :) Send em on over haha!

Yes, they have a lot of cool stuff on the horizon. :-)

Guys, Spitfire38 has informed me that the infantry will be done as soon as he orders bigger decals for the bases. The ones he had were to small, but other than that, they are ready to be shown, soon.

They really look good!

Stay tuned. :-)

John

This is really cool stuff here… nice work by both you guys, esp Spitfire. Can’t believe I missed this thread. Love the ships.

@LHoffman:

This is really cool stuff here… nice work by both you guys, esp Spitfire. Can’t believe I missed this thread. Love the ships.

Thanks Hoffman! Spitfire38 has done an excellent job with the visions of what I wanted in my set. We are both patient with each other, and he always wants my opinion of what I want and like.

Because he is in school, I have to be patient, because he will be busy at certain parts of the year, and we have worked out my payments to where he is being very flexible with me as well.

We work well as a team.

He currently is doing the Ground Forces, AAA Guns and Infantry.

Thanks for your comments! :-D

John

• '16 Customizer

Thanks LHoffman! I appreciate the input on decals and advice.

Hopefully I can get around to finishing off those infantry and getting the pictures up soon.

• '16 Customizer

Photos of the Japanese infantry have been added to the Japanese post on the first page.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m