• I haven’t seen a recent post concerning research and development so I got to ask. Has anyone utilized research as a primary strategy? I’ve tried it a few times on Japan/US/Germany (richest nations) and 90% of the time it’s a waste of money.

I feel like research should be done only by the aforementioned nations and only if they are in a bad way. Research is HUGE if you get it, so I think of it as a last effort gamble if the game is going against you.

Thoughts?

• TripleA

Do it before a big attack. Otherwise it is a money sink. 5 ipc you never get back for a 1/6 chance to get a random tech that may or may not be good.

• @Cow:

Do it before a big attack. Otherwise it is a money sink. 5 ipc you never get back for a 1/6 chance to get a random tech that may or may not be good.

That’s a good approach if research is done at all. I just think research isn’t very strong all around. Maybe it should be improved next game version

• Customizer

I have to agree with you, usually it is a waste of money. We use the tech tokens from Anniversary so when you spend $5 per token, if the dice don’t roll your way you keep the tokens and try again next round. So at least it’s not a total loss.
    Even so, we rarely try for techs because everyone is too busy buying actual fighting units.
    We have tried a couple of different methods for getting tech into the game like free tech rolls but they end up not working very well. We found 3 different results:
    1 = Nobody still ends up getting techs
    2 = One nation ends up getting too many techs and overpowering everyone else, which kind of ruins the game.
    3 = Everyone ends up getting all or most of the techs, which ends up making the game almost the same as with no techs at all.

I am really looking forward to Young Grasshopper’s new Delta 40 rules. He is designing the new playing cards as we speak. It’s a great system where different nations will have certain techs available to them on certain rounds with others that they can roll dice for points to earn after so many rounds. This way all nations won’t get the same techs (kind of cancelling them out) and I think it will add some real flavor to the game. Plus, no spending $5 per dice to roll for some random tech that could end up not even helping you.

• I might try something where on every 6th research roll you purchase you are guranteed a success (assuming the other 5 are fails).

• I’d suggest for research, you take a serious look into tech “trees” from other PC empire building games.

I’m sure you can assemble techs into three trees, each step requiring the prior to obtain the next.

If you price it right, you can pit Allied Research Investment vs Axis Research investment and have all nations on each side share the expense and the technology as it is unlocked.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m