• When we play, my friends regularly laugh at Anzac, but I don’t. I find it to be a fun underdog to play, with plenty of potential as a strong adversary. Of course, that potential doesn’t equate to actual capability. Does anyone have any tips on how to make Anzac better? I’ve been reading about sending fighters to Russia, and that could be a good use.

A few games ago, with my strategy, I captured the Southeast Asian territories and used that quick cash to build up a respectable navy to defend these territories. That along with a Japan occupied elsewhere, gave me plenty of income. With national objectives, I could get thirty to forty IPCs each turn. The problem though, is what to do with it.

Anzac can only build 3 units a turn, and there’s no ability to improve the minor IC. So, I could build three cruisers, or three fighters, send them around my areas, and then keep the change. At the end of the game, I had about seventy IPCs in my hand that were essentially being wasted. The only good I did was I think defend the Philippines. Anzac grows slowly which prevents it from being a threat to Japan, and its inability to buy much also prevents it from really being effective.

Are there any tips out there for improving Anzac (and the Allies’ Pacific strategy in general)? Thanks.

• You can always build a second on IC on queensland, which helps you take Malay.
    Also, saving up for a carrier to help defend your transports helps you get the DEI and precious funding.

• My friends and I that play AaA live in New Zealand, so we tend to take the ANZAC cause very seriously  :-).

I often take Brazil, and Persia using the Brit transport (or simply marching there through an allied Iraq if the brit transport has other plans). You can also reinforce Aussie with US fighters and US transports allowing you to build an IC in either persia or brazil.

• TripleA

That is hilarious.  It is fun to get places like brazil and persia.

• Getting ANZAC strong early is entirely dependent on what the USA is doing.
    Are they going for a KJF? Then ANZAC can get very strong indeed. If the USA are going to put more focus into the Atlantic, the ANZAC would be wise to play more conservatively and prepare to defend Sydney against a Japanese assault somewhere around J9-10.

If I need to prepare Sydney’s defenses I build FTR + INF, as long as I can produce 3 units per turn there. The FTR are good for defense but when offensive actions are an option they are also flexible enough to do that.

• '15

One thing I like to do with Anzac is to have a few fast movers to wipe out any Japanese landing forces.

• @firemaker:

With national objectives, I could get thirty to forty IPCs each turn. The problem though, is what to do with it.

Anzac can only build 3 units a turn, and there’s no ability to improve the minor IC. So, I could build three cruisers, or three fighters, send them around my areas, and then keep the change. At the end of the game, I had about seventy IPCs in my hand that were essentially being wasted.

You could always just hold onto it and taunt Japan with it…Heeeeyyyyyy want some casssshh? Yeah I’ll bet you dooooo… Then you somehow use your fat stack of cash to bait Japan into a U.S. trap. GL hope it works :P

• Customizer

You mentioned capturing the South East Asian territories. Did that include French Indo China? If Japan captured it and ANZAC took it from them, assuming Paris is still in German hands, then ANZAC can get the IPCs from French Indo China and since it’s worth 2 IPCs, ANZAC could build a Minor IC there.
    With that, you could build tanks and mechs to roll up and help the Chinese liberate their territories from Japan.
    You could also build naval units there to harass the Japanese Navy from a closer base.
    Another idea is if you already have a fair amount of navy, each turn you could build 1 transport, 1 infantry and 1 artillery, then use those to take some Japanese islands.

So, there is a few ideas on what to spend your ANZAC money on and make even more money to spend.

• I don’t think anzac can build a minor in french indo china cause they “liberate it” for france instead of conquering it for themselves. Since the territory is french there can’t be an anzac minor.

• '15

Nope!  THey can gain FIC after Japan has taken if the same way the USA can take Normandy and use the Minot IC there after Germany takes it.

• Fastest way to get ANZAC into the game?  Build SS and convoy DEI Japan leaves behind.  If you can get your SS to mainland China, Japan is generally very unhappy with small SS stacks all across the Pacific.

When(if) the IJN turns, back up the SS into a single stack under the USN.  Great fodder for the USN defending - and if the USN fails to wipe out the INJ, a stack of 8 ANZAC SS is sure to create problems for the IJN surviving from the USN battle.

Its a rather boring strategy, but it puts many thorns in the IJN expansion plans, cuts into Japan’s income and provides a great 1-2 punch against the IJN.

• @Shin:

Nope!  THey can gain FIC after Japan has taken if the same way the USA can take Normandy and use the Minot IC there after Germany takes it.

Can someone confirm this (with a quote from the rulebook maybe)? My understanding of the rules is rusty, I’ll be sure to reread the whole manual after work.

• @Surrender@20:

@Shin:

Nope!  THey can gain FIC after Japan has taken if the same way the USA can take Normandy and use the Minot IC there after Germany takes it.

Can someone confirm this (with a quote from the rulebook maybe)? My understanding of the rules is rusty, I’ll be sure to reread the whole manual after work.

Shin Ji is right, because Paris will be German in almost all games after G1. In this case French territories are not liberated for France but captured.

@rulebook:

If the original controller’s (the power whose territory you just
    liberated) capital is in enemy hands at the end of the turn in which
    you would otherwise have liberated the territory, you capture
    the territory instead. You adjust your national production level,
    and you can use any industrial complex, air base, and/or naval
    base there until the original controller’s capital is liberated. The
    capturing player can’t use these newly captured facilities until the
    player’s next turn.

• You could upgrade the minor to a major if you had the cash, couldn’t you?  Or does the territory have to be worth 3 IPC?

• Hi Ike.
    Territory has to be worth 3, yes. Also, in 2nd Edition rules, only the original owner can make
    a Major on a territory worth 3 or more. So they couldn’t, no.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m