• '14 Customizer

Italy is finished.  Completely magnetized and repainted some pieces. I made my Littorio unique :)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Those are really cool, Cyanight! I especially like your airforce and navy. :-)

• '14 Customizer

Thanks John :)

I really wish I was painting UK units…  Like the new ones from HBG but still no email on shipment yet.  I called Doug on Monday and he said they would ship by the end of the week.  I really don’t understand the holdup but I guess I need to be patient.

@cyanight:

Thanks John :)

I really wish I was painting UK units…� � Like the new ones from HBG but still no email on shipment yet.� � I called Doug on Monday and he said they would ship by the end of the week.� � I really don’t understand the holdup but I guess I need to be patient.� �

I will tell you what he told me in the forums. He says that they will start shipping this Friday, but that it would take up to 7 to 10 days to ship everyone’s pieces. That means, if yours ship on the 10th day, it will be sometime in October, before you actually get your hands on them.

See, I’m trying to wait on my British set as well, because I want Spitfire38 to paint the UK Pacific next.

I understand how you feel,  because I’m feeling the same way, but I have come to the conclusion that they can’t pump these sets out as fast as they thought.

On average, at the rate they are going, I see 2 or 3 a year sets is the most they could produce a year, because they have so many other products they are doing.

I hope this helps.

I want them as bad as you, but I decided couple months back not to give my hopes up, because production is so slow. :-)

• '14 Customizer

Thanks for the info John.

No problem, my friend. :-)

• @John:

I understand how you feel, because I’m feeling the same way, but I have come to the conclusion that they can’t pump these sets out as fast as they thought. On average, at the rate they are going, I see 2 or 3 a year sets is the most they could produce a year, because they have so many other products they are doing. […]  I want them as bad as you, but I decided couple months back not to give my hopes up, because production is so slow.

This is a good point which raises a pretty fundamental question.  If HBG over the past year or so has been experiencing bottlenecks with regard to the ability of its overseas factory to produce unit sculpts, while at the same time HBG has been developing (or thinking about developing) many different new sculpt sets (both as stand-alone sets and as part of boxed games like Amerika), has a situation developed in which HBG is getting too far ahead of itself?  In other words, are we in a situation in which the ratio of projected sets under development versus completed sets actually leaving the factory is becoming too lopsided?

The potential problem with having too many projected sets stacking up relative to the rate at which they can actually be produced is that it can create the kind of frustration that people experience when they see a desirable product in the front window of a store that’s closed for renovations.  It’s also been contributing on this forum to many debates (I’m not sure I’d go so far as to call them arguments) about the order in which the projected sets should be manufactured.  If the sets were being produced at a rapid clip, it wouldn’t matter very much if such-and-such a set comes first while a certain other one comes, let’s say, fifth, because even the fifth one would end up in people’s hands within a reasonable timeframe – perhaps even a timeframe that could be estimated with reasonable accuracy.  If, on the other hand, sets come out slowly, then it becomes a much more serious matter whether a particular set is first or fifth in the cue, and customers will therefore be tempted to press the case for why their particular favourites should me moved up in the production order.

I certainly don’t want to see HBG drop its production and QC standards to get pieces out faster, since the quality of their products is one of their prime selling points.  I do, however, think it might be a good idea for HBG to put a temporary moratorium on announcing concepts for new sets of sculpts until it’s made headway on clearing the traffic jam of existing projects.  Adding more cars at the tail end of a snarled traffic line at rush-hour just results in more frustration for more people, without making the cars already in the line roll any faster.  Personally, at this point I’d prefer not to know what long-range plans HBG is considering for additional sculpt sets beyond the many ones that it has already announced or about which it has asked this community to vote to express its preferences.

@CWO:

@John:

I understand how you feel, because I’m feeling the same way, but I have come to the conclusion that they can’t pump these sets out as fast as they thought. On average, at the rate they are going, I see 2 or 3 a year sets is the most they could produce a year, because they have so many other products they are doing. […]  I want them as bad as you, but I decided couple months back not to give my hopes up, because production is so slow.

This is a good point which raises a pretty fundamental question.  If HBG over the past year or so has been experiencing bottlenecks with regard to the ability of its overseas factory to produce unit sculpts, while at the same time HBG has been developing (or thinking about developing) many different new sculpt sets (both as stand-alone sets and as part of boxed games like Amerika), has a situation developed in which HBG is getting too far ahead of itself?  In other words, are we in a situation in which the ratio of projected sets under development versus completed sets actually leaving the factory is becoming too lopsided?Â

The potential problem with having too many projected sets stacking up relative to the rate at which they can actually be produced is that it can create the kind of frustration that people experience when they see a desirable product in the front window of a store that’s closed for renovations.  It’s also been contributing on this forum to many debates (I’m not sure I’d go so far as to call them arguments) about the order in which the projected sets should be manufactured.  If the sets were being produced at a rapid clip, it wouldn’t matter very much if such-and-such a set comes first while a certain other one comes, let’s say, fifth, because even the fifth one would end up in people’s hands within a reasonable timeframe – perhaps even a timeframe that could be estimated with reasonable accuracy.  If, on the other hand, sets come out slowly, then it becomes a much more serious matter whether a particular set is first or fifth in the cue, and customers will therefore be tempted to press the case for why their particular favourites should me moved up in the production order.Â

I certainly don’t want to see HBG drop its production and QC standards to get pieces out faster, since the quality of their products is one of their prime selling points.  I do, however, think it might be a good idea for HBG to put a temporary moratorium on announcing concepts for new sets of sculpts until it’s made headway on clearing the traffic jam of existing projects.  Adding more cars at the tail end of a snarled traffic line at rush-hour just results in more frustration for more people, without making the cars already in the line roll any faster.  Personally, at this point I’d prefer not to know what long-range plans HBG is considering for additional sculpt sets beyond the many ones that it has already announced or about which it has asked this community to vote to express its preferences.

CWO Marc, this is a very wise and thought out post. I for one, think they have to many irons in the fire. My only problem with HBG, is them giving us a date. Until they are for sure delivering the actual product in our hands, I don’t won’t to hear dates.

I rather them focus on 2 or 3 things and do them right, then to have 15 things going on and never seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is what can be frustrating to customers. Here they have the US preorders, but I will not preorder, because I don’t expect it till after Christmas.

Why tie my money up for 6 months, until it is closer to the time of delivery.

You see what I’m saying? Normally, I would have preordered the US set already, but I’m not confident that that set will be in my hands, any time soon.

It maybe just me, but as a customer, that is how I feel at this point.

I rather them focus on a few things like the new map and rules and the next set, than here about all these ideas they have.

It leaves me with expectations that may not be fulfilled.

I think it would greatly help them, by focusing on just 2 or 3 things, than to get us excited about things that may not happen for a long time.

The main thing is, don’t provide dates, until it is time for them to be shipped.

I love HBG and the things they do, I just don’t won’t them to get my hopes up.

Example: The Midway Carriers, I was super excited about, now they are not going to have them in the next set. Now they will have them later, but now my excitement is not as strong.

Sorry, I’m done ranting.

Thanks for a well thought out post. :-)

John

• '14 Customizer

Don’t be sorry about the ranting John its welcomed :)

And like always, Marc hits the nail on the head.  I love HBG but its the release date that kills me too.  They are borderline worse than Blizzard with releasing dates.

Oh, BTW… John I saw your post in Paul’s thread on building a metal map as well. Good for you!  I found something out this past weekend that was really cool.

Having magnets on the pieces has another very cool unexpected feature. When you have a unit and just 1 chip sometimes its a struggle to grab that unit and the chip depending on how clustered the territory on the map is.  Well I found out the magnets are stronger towards each other than the metal on the map. So you can just pickup the UNIT and the chip or chips will pick-up with them.  Only works on small stacks but those were the ones that were difficult to pickup sometimes.

@cyanight:

Don’t be sorry about the ranting John its welcomed :)

And like always, Marc hits the nail on the head.  I love HBG but its the release date that kills me too.  They are borderline worse than Blizzard with releasing dates.

Oh, BTW… John I saw your post in Paul’s thread on building a metal map as well. Good for you!  I found something out this past weekend that was really cool.

Having magnets on the pieces has another very cool unexpected feature. When you have a unit and just 1 chip sometimes its a struggle to grab that unit and the chip depending on how clustered the territory on the map is.  Well I found out the magnets are stronger towards each other than the metal on the map. So you can just pickup the UNIT and the chip or chips will pick-up with them.  Only works on small stacks but those were the ones that were difficult to pickup sometimes.

Â

Well Cyanight, I’m glad I’m not the only one frustrated. As for the magnets, I may look into it, but the problem is my pieces will be painted when I get them.

Shouldn’t you put magnets before the pieces are painted or can you do it after, without messing them up?

I love how you are experimenting with the magnets, because it benefits all of us in the community.

Thanks for sharing! :-)

John

• '14 Customizer

You are exactly correct John.  Its BEST if the piece has no paint on it yet.  I have damaged many pieces that I had to repaint.  All of my posts for China, and Italy so far are with pieces I painted and then added the magnet.  I use a metal vice and put wax paper in the sides to cushion the piece and prevent the pant from wearing off.  Your pieces have way more detail then mine.  When I initially painted my set I was under pressure to complete before a gaming date we had planned.  So I chose to paint them with less detail except for the planes.  I do plan to revisit them someday but I still have over 1000 magnets to install. I finished ANZAC this weekend and will be doing Russia next.

@cyanight:

You are exactly correct John.  Its BEST if the piece has no paint on it yet.  I have damaged many pieces that I had to repaint.  All of my posts for China, and Italy so far are with pieces I painted and then added the magnet.  I use a metal vice and put wax paper in the sides to cushion the piece and prevent the pant from wearing off.  Your pieces have way more detail then mine.  When I initially painted my set I was under pressure to complete before a gaming date we had planned.  So I chose to paint them with less detail except for the planes.  I do plan to revisit them someday but I still have over 1000 magnets to install. I finished ANZAC this weekend and will be doing Russia next.Â

That is what I thought. Thanks for the info.

• '14 Customizer

Hey John,

I got a message from HBG that they sent my pieces.  The only problem is the order number that was sent was in reference to my US expansion pre-order set, lol. At first I was going to applaud them for speed but we obviously know this was a mistake.  I wonder what is coming in the mail now, lol

Well, I hope it is the British set you are getting. I live only 3 1/2 hours away, but usually am at the end of the line before I get mine. I probably get mine the first of October, LOL.

As long as I get them, that is all I care, but it would be nice to get them to my painter sooner than later. :-)

PS We are tied on post count, LOL.

• '14 Customizer

ANZAC is finished and ready for war.  Now onto the Soviets :)

Wow Cyanight, those are very cool.

Is that kangaroo roundel an official for Anzac as well?

Is that on all your pieces, because I couldn’t tell?

I love the camo of your tanks and planes. :-D

• '14 Customizer

Its the roundel for Australia

The New Zealand looks like this

I put the Kangaroo on all pieces except… Battleships have flags and Destroyers, Transports, Submarines, AAA guns are without roundels.  In the picture I don’t have the roundels on the base of the Artillery like I do with the Infantry.  I fixed it last night but did not take another picture.

Thanks again John :)

Now on to the Red Army…

@cyanight:

Its the roundel for Australia

The New Zealand looks like this

I put the Kangaroo on all pieces except… Battleships have flags and Destroyers, Transports, Submarines, AAA guns are without roundels.  In the picture I don’t have the roundels on the base of the Artillery like I do with the Infantry.  I fixed it last night but did not take another picture.Â

Thanks again John :)

Now on to the Red Army…

That is cool. Thanks for the info. :-)

• '14 Customizer

The Russians are magnetized and ready for war.

These units are used for tech development.

• Advance Mech

• Advanced Artillery (katyusha)

• Jets (Mig-15)

• Super Subs

Wow Cyanight, that is an awesome set. I love your airforce and navy, especially. I love your choice in color on your ships. There is no mistake, the Red Army is coming, LOL. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m