Delta Deck: cards for playing G40 Delta house rules

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

I like it because it shows 3 scrambling fighters in the air and a 4th getting prepped. It’s also a lot richer in color than the last image.

True. I do think the ‘scramble’ aspect is conveyed well.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

Something occurred to me about filling out the 52 card deck.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but the intention is to hand out the appropriate card to the player that is using that particular advantage, right? For example, say in Round 2, Germany picks Blitzkrieg Tactics. So you would hand the German player the Blitzkrieg Tactics card and leave the Enigma Machine card in the deck.
    This way each player would know their own strategic advantage once they get their card.
    Same with the Progressive advantages. Once the player gets 20 points in dice rolls, you hand them their progressive advantage card which they can use afterward.
    Assuming this is they way you plan for this to be played, I was thinking about the Round 1 and Round 10 advantages that are available to all nations. In that case, since there are 2 choices and 8 different nations, you will need 8 card of each choice. That’s 16 cards for the Round 1 choice and 16 cards for the Round 10 choice, making 32 total.
    So, in summary, here is what we are looking at:
    Progressive Advantages = 7 total cards
    Nation Specific Advantages = 16 total cards (4 Germany R2 & R7, 4 United States R3 & R6, 2 United Kingdom R4, 4 Japan R5 & R9, 2 Russia R8)
    ALL Nation Advantages = 32 total cards ( 8 nations, 4 different possible choices )
    GRAND TOTAL = 55 cards.
    So, it is looking like you wouldn’t be able to use that Artcow since their decks are 52 cards.

Also, as for the Round 1 and Round 10 choices, I imagine it is up to you as how you design them.
    You could make a unique design for each nation which would look pretty cool but would also be a lot of work. That would mean a separate nation card for each choice ending up in 32 different designs. The picture could be the same but the cards would simply be in different national colors.
    The other choice would be to make a sort of generic card for each choice, perhaps in some color choice that doesn’t quite match any of the national colors. At least this way you would simply be making 8 of the same thing which might be a little easier and quicker to do.

The service at artscow provides 54 blank cards in which to work with…
    http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/playing-cards/multi-purpose-cards-rectangle-394

Here’s how I see the breakdown…

Note: Cards for Airborne Assault Troops, War Time Production, Long Range Aircraft, and Modernized Shipyards (1 each) will be placed somewhere on the board face up. Nations will than place their roundel on top of the advantage card they choose for R1, and will than repeat the process later for R10.

Strategic Advantages = 20

1X Airborne Assault Troops
    1X War Time Production
    1X Enigma Machine
    1X Blitzkrieg Tactics
    1X War Bonds Campaign
    1X Uncle Sam Campaign
    1X Around the Clock Bombing
    1X Commonwealth Aid
    1X Long Lance Torpedos
    1X Tokyo Express
    1X Super Fortresses
    1X Essex Class Carriers
    1X Coastal Defense
    1X V-Rockets
    1X Tankograd
    1X Trans-Siberian Railway
    1X Banzai Attack
    1X Super Submarines
    1X Long Range Aircraft
    1X Modernized Shipyards

Progressive Advantages = 7

1X Jet Fighters
    1X Russian Winter
    1X Kamikaze Honor
    1X The Manhattan Project
    1X Radar
    1X Self Propelled Artillery
    1X Vive La France

Strategic Objectives = 27

Note: IPCs and victory points for holding enemy capitals and/or cities can be calculated without the use of a designated card.

Germany

Deutschland
    $5 - Germany controls all their original territories

Oil Fields
    $5 - An Axis power controls Caucasus

Africa Korps
    $5 - Germany has 3 or more land units in Africa.

Soviet Union (When at war with Germany)

Motherland
    $5 - Russia controls all their original territories

Lend Lease
    $5 - The allied powers control Archangel and there are no axis warships is sea zone #120

National Pride
    $5 - There are no allied units on originally owned Russian territories

United States

The North
    $5 - US controls Alaska and the Aleutian Islands.

The Americas
    $10 - US controls Western, Central, and Eastern United States, as well as Mexico, Southeast Mexico, Central America, and West Indies

The Outer Perimeter
    $5 - US controls Midway, Wake Island, Hawaiian Islands, Johnston Island, and Line Island

The South Pacific
    $3 - The Allied powers control The Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes

Japan

Trade With USA
    $10 - Peace with French Indo China, and the Pacific Allies.

Chinese Capitulation
    $5 - Japan controls all Chinese original territories

The South Pacific
    $5 - Japan controls the Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes.

China

Pacific Mainland
    $5 - China controls all their original territories

The Burma Road
    $5 & Artillery Production - The Allied powers control the Burma road.

United Kingdom (Pacific)

Eastern Colonies
    $5 - The UK (Pacific) controls all their original territories

The Burma Road
    $5 - The Allied powers control the Burma road.

The South Pacific
    $3 - The Allied powers control The Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes

United Kingdom (Europe)

British Empire
    $5 - The UK (Europe) controls all their original territories

Operation Ultra
    $5 - There are no German submarines in the Atlantic

Italy

New Roman Empire
    $5 - Italy controls all their original territories

The Mediterranean Coast
    $5 - Italy controls 3 of the 4 following territories, Gibraltar, Southern France, Greece, and/or Egypt.

Naval Superiority
    $5 - There are no Allied warships in the Mediterranean.

The Middle East
    $5 - Italy controls Iraq, northwest Persia, and Persia.

North Africa
    $5 - Italy controls Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Tobruk, Alexandria, and Egypt.

ANZAC

Pacific Gateway
    $5 - ANZAC controls all their original territories

The South Pacific
    $3 - The Allied powers control the Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes

Total Cards in Deck = 54

@Young:

The service at artscow provides 54 blank cards in which to work with…

Total Cards in Deck = 54

PERFECT!

• @Young:

Total Cards in Deck = 54

Maybe I’m not understanding something here…but of the 20 Strategic Advantages, 4 of them (Airborne Assault Troops, War Time Production, Long Range Aircraft and Modernized Shipyards) are available to 8 countries (Germany / UK / Russia / Japan / USA / Italy / ANZAC / France), so shouldn’t those cards say 8X rather than 1X?

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

Total Cards in Deck = 54

Maybe I’m not understanding something here…but of the 20 Strategic Advantages, 4 of them (Airborne Assault Troops, War Time Production, Long Range Aircraft and Modernized Shipyards) are available to 8 countries (Germany / UK / Russia / Japan / USA / Italy / ANZAC / France), so shouldn’t those cards say 8X rather than 1X?

Cards for Airborne Assault Troops, War Time Production, Long Range Aircraft, and Modernized Shipyards (1 each) will be placed somewhere on the board face up. Nations will than place their roundel on top of the advantage card they choose for R1, and will than repeat the process later for R10.

• @Young:

Cards for Airborne Assault Troops, War Time Production, Long Range Aircraft, and Modernized Shipyards (1 each) will be placed somewhere on the board face up. Nations will than place their roundel on top of the advantage card they choose for R1, and will than repeat the process later for R10.

Ah – I see.  Yes, that works then.

Here are a few minor points, in no particular order.

1. I think the terms below aren’t usually split into two words.  “Fatherland”, “Motherland” and “Homeland” would be better.

Germany: Father Land
    USSR: Mother Land
    China: Home Land
    Italy: Home Land

1. This should say “US controls” rather than “America controls”.

The Americas
    $10 - America controls Western, Central, and Eastern United States, as well as Mexico, Southeast Mexico, Central America, and West Indies

1. Two comments about this one:

Trade With USA
    $10 - Peace with FIC, and the Pacific allies.

First, what does FIC stand for and could it be written out in full for clarity?  Second, why does the rule say “Pacific allies” when the title says “Trade with USA”?  Third, if “Pacific allies” is in fact what’s intended here, there’s the problem that the term is a bit vague (I assume it means the US, the UK, ANZAC and the Dutch East Indies, but that’s just a guess), and also the problem that these nations only became “Allies” when war broke out, which nullifies the concept of Japan being at peace with them.

1. “Allies” needs to be capitalized in the items below for consistency with the other rules.

Lend Lease
    $5 - The allied powers control Archangel and there are no axis warships is sea zone #120

National Pride
    $5 - There are no allied units on originally owned Russian territories

China
    The Burma Road
    $5 & Artillery Production - The allied powers control the Burma road.

UK
    The Burma Road
    $5 - The allied powers control the Burma road.

Naval Superiority
    $5 - There are no allied warships in the Mediterranean.

• Sponsor

FIC is for French Indo China, the Pacific Allies represent USA, UK (India), and ANZAC. Therefore, if Japan makes an unprovoked attack on any of the above nations or territories, than they will lose their $10 objective. However, they may attack FIC which won’t bring the pacific Allies at war, but will stop trade with America (unchanged from the original National Objective involving trade with USA).

As for the other stuff…

Done!

• Sponsor

I’m on the hunt for a better “Blitzkrieg Tactics” image of a German truck pulling an artillery unit.

• @Young:

I’m on the hunt for a better “Blitzkrieg Tactics” image of a German truck pulling an artillery unit.

I found an alternate photo (not painting), but it’s only so-so.  On the other hand, I found a potentially better painting for Around the Clock Bombing.

German 88mm and SdKfz 6.jpg
    Around the Clock Bombing.jpg

@CWO:

@Young:

I found an alternate photo (not painting), but it’s only so-so.  On the other hand, I found a potentially better painting for Around the Clock Bombing.

I don’t know… I love the image, but I think a night time city-bombing picture like YG has is very good. B-24s bombing Romanian oil fields doesn’t say “around the clock bombing” to me.

• @LHoffman:

I don’t know… I love the image, but I think a night time city-bombing picture like YG has is very good. B-24s bombing Romanian oil fields doesn’t say “around the clock bombing” to me.

I was looking at it from the perspective that the strategic bombing campaign against Germany only became an around-the-clock campaign when the original British nighttime bombing was supplemented by American daylight bombing – so a picture of an American daylight bombing raid, to me, depicts the required added element.  But perhaps a daylight raid over a German target would be more appropriate…and perhaps a picture that shows a US bomber in flames isn’t quite the right motivator for picking this advantage.

@Young:

What about re-titling the Advantage as:   “Mechanized Blitzkrieg

To me that sounds a little more legitimate and descriptive. Particularly since Germany already can blitz with their tanks, so how about make it obviously specific to mechanized infantry or Artillery?

I like the image you have already, but here is one I found. It is a little crowded though.

@CWO:

and perhaps a picture that shows a US bomber in flames isn’t quite the right motivator for picking this advantage.

:lol:  Yeah, my philosophy is that it is best to avoid images showing you Advantage being blown up. A subtle psychological message of doom is not what we are looking for. Relates to my comment about the Trans-Siberian Railway card.

However, I do understand your perspective and I agree with it. I will say that most people will think of nighttime when they hear “around-the-clock”, which is why I suggested that one.

Found this one too. Looks like an actual photo, but it is hard to tell at this size. You might be able to put it through a filter to dirty it up a bit though.

• @LHoffman:

@Young:

What about re-titling the Advantage as:   “Mechanized Blitzkrieg

To me that sounds a little more legitimate and descriptive. Particularly since Germany already can blitz with their tanks, so how about make it obviously specific to mechanized infantry or Artillery?

I like the image you have already, but here is one I found. It is a little crowded though.

I’d argue that “Mechanized Blitzkrieg” is redundant because Blitzkrieg tactics inherently depend on the use of mechanized ground forces: tanks, mechanized/motorized infantry and vehicle-towed or self-propelled artillery.  Blitzkrieg tactics can’t be carried out with foot soldiers and horses because they lack the required speed and punch.  Great picture, however – it conveys better than a single vehicle the massing of forces which Blitzkrieg requires.

• @LHoffman:

I will say that most people will think of nighttime when they hear “around-the-clock”, which is why I suggested that one.

This raises an interesting point.  Should the cards be designed on the assumption that A&A enthusiasts are a typical cross-section of the general population when it comes to their familiarity with WWII, or on the assumption that they probably know more about the war than the average person?

@CWO:

I’d argue that “Mechanized Blitzkrieg” is redundant because Blitzkrieg tactics inherently depend on the use of mechanized ground forces: tanks, mechanized/motorized infantry and vehicle-towed or self-propelled artillery.  Blitzkrieg tactics can’t be carried out with foot soldiers and horses because they lack the required speed and punch.  Great picture, however – it conveys better than a single vehicle the massing of forces which Blitzkrieg requires.

I certainly agree, however since we are playing Axis and Allies I was hoping the term “mechanized” would be viewed more as a noun than an adjective… since mobile infantry units in the game are called “mechanized infantry” and denoted by half-tracks. My intent was to form an association between game play terms and those used on the cards. Though, in reality, it is redundant.

Even an experienced player such as myself, (assuming I had never heard of Delta before) would be more comfortable in grasping the point of any Advantage if it related to and used words already in the game. If I read “Mechanized Blitzkrieg” I think, oh, okay like for Mechanized Infantry? If I read “Blitzkrieg Tactics” I think, Well that sounds kind of boring and I can already blitz anyway. Not that I or anyone else would not read the card and figure out what it pertains to, but a quick association through words and images is best whenever possible.

@CWO:

This raises an interesting point.  Should the cards be designed on the assumption that A&A enthusiasts are a typical cross-section of the general population when it comes to their familiarity with WWII, or on the assumption that they probably know more about the war than the average person?

Well, I think that to even be an Axis and Allies player (let alone enthusiast), one is by default more knowledgeable about WWII than the average person. However, that knowledge level varies considerably from person to person in my experience. My feeling is that the use of certain terms should be accurate, but also obvious and consistent; and weighted more towards a layman’s understanding for the purpose of clarity and mental association. (Which is why I suggested “Mechanized Blitzkrieg”)

For example, a boob off the street may not even know the difference between a battleship and an aircraft carrier, but I routinely play A&A with guys who, while somewhat knowledgeable (and very intelligent otherwise), don’t know the difference between a cruiser and a destroyer. Let alone know the names of certain ship classes or aircraft types. Plus, they routinely get rules confused or don’t remember them. In this way, having terms that relate back to specific ones used in the game would be helpful whenever possible.

• @LHoffman:

I certainly agree, however since we are playing Axis and Allies I was hoping the term “mechanized” would be viewed more as a noun than an adjective… since mobile infantry units in the game are called “mechanized infantry” and denoted by half-tracks. My intent was to form an association between game play terms and those used on the cards. […]  For example, a boob off the street may not even know the difference between a battleship and an aircraft carrier, but I routinely play A&A with guys who, while somewhat knowledgeable (and very intelligent otherwise), don’t know the difference between a cruiser and a destroyer. Let alone know the names of certain ship classes or aircraft types.

If the aim is to highlight Germany’s mechanized infantry element, the term Panzergrenadiers might work.

I like the part about “a boob off the street may not even know the difference between a battleship and an aircraft carrier” because it reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon in which Calvin hold up an alleged dinosaur fossil in class and says “To the untutored eye of the ignorant layman, this may look like a simple piece of driveway gravel….”  And it’s funny to think that Wittman’s little daughter seems to know more than the average adult about what unit types the A&A sculpts represent.  :-D

@CWO:

If the aim is to highlight Germany’s mechanized infantry element, the term Panzergrenadiers might work.

That would certainly be appropriate, and more accurate. I think it becomes an issue of font and space to print such long German words.

But, I am not sure which should be highlighted more, a) the ability for mechs to blitz without a tank, or b) the ability to transport an artillery piece? The way the wording is currently, it seems to be (a) however I personally think (b) is far more valuable. Especially since the use of mechs blitzing alone is relatively limited. Either because there is little opportunity or because you usually have tanks in your forces.

If (b) were the focus, the card should probably say something like “Mobile Artillery”. I do like the use of ‘blitzkrieg’ though. Much more German and much more intimidating.

@CWO:

I like the part about “a boob off the street may not even know the difference between a battleship and an aircraft carrier” because it reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon in which Calvin hold up an alleged dinosaur fossil in class and says “To the untutored eye of the ignorant layman, this may look like a simple piece of driveway gravel….”  And it’s funny to think that Wittman’s little daughter seems to know more than the average adult about what unit types the A&A sculpts represent.   :-D

I love Calvin and Hobbes. Nice association there. And as I understand it Wittman’s daughter is pretty sharp.

• @LHoffman:

That would certainly be appropriate, and more accurate. I think it becomes an issue of font and space to print such long German words.

Let’s be glad that the cards aren’t being designed for the 1914 game.  In WWI, the German word for tank was, if I remember correctly, Schutzengrabenvernichtungsautomobil.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m