• For naval buffs: a first look at UK’s new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth.  It undoubtedly cost more than 16 IPCs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28125835

On Friday the Queen will officially name the Royal Navy’s new aircraft carrier.

HMS Queen Elizabeth is the largest warship ever built in the UK.

Ten thousand workers at six different shipyards have been involved in her construction.

The BBC’s Defence Correspondent Jonathan Beale took a look around the carrier at Rosyth ahead of the ceremony.

• Thanks Marc. I missed that.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@CWO:

For naval buffs: a first look at UK’s new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth.  It undoubtedly cost more than 16 IPCs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28125835

On Friday the Queen will officially name the Royal Navy’s new aircraft carrier.

HMS Queen Elizabeth is the largest warship ever built in the UK.

Ten thousand workers at six different shipyards have been involved in her construction.

The BBC’s Defence Correspondent Jonathan Beale took a look around the carrier at Rosyth ahead of the ceremony.

Thanks for showing us the article. It is amazing how many people it takes to build something that size. :-)

• I have two questions.

Why is the Aircraft Carrier so huge? Doesn’t the RN use mainly Sea Harriers on them?

• @aequitas:

I have two questions. Why is the Aircraft Carrier so huge? Doesn’t the RN use mainly Sea Harriers on them?

I’m just guessing here, since I’m not privy to the Royal Navy’s procurement processes, but the carrier seems to have a “ski jump”-type ramp at the bow, which (if I’m not mistaken) the RN has used on other carriers and fits with its use of V/STOL planes like the Harrier.  V/STOL planes sometimes launch horizontally because that’s easier than a vertical takeoff when the plane is fully loaded with fuel and ordnance.  Ski jump ramps give a plane a little extra altitude at takeoff.  The large size isn’t necessarily just for launch purposes; space is a valuable commodity on a warship, and more space means things like more fuel, more ordnance, better crew accommodations, and so forth.

@CWO:

It undoubtedly cost more than 16 IPCs.

:lol:

Yeah, she’s still got nothing on ours!

But, wow… much bigger than any of the UKs previous carriers. Wonder why they want to upsize now? Hey, more power to them. Glad they are on our side.

I will say that ski ramp on the front is darn ugly though.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/captain-hms-queen-elizabeth-is-the-start-of-a-new-era-of-british-sea-power-1-6157414

Didn’t know she had a double island construction… that is a first that I am aware of.

Also, I would have thought she would be fitted out with a navalized version of the Eurofighter Typhoon. Apparently not?

• It’s great to see the Royal Navy building large capital ships. The greatest navy in history!

• Careful Worsham: we will be back to claim the lost Colonies!

• @wittmann:

Careful Worsham: we will be back to claim the lost Colonies!

The US Navy would probably reply by pointing out that some of its own aircraft carriers have carried names like Lexington and Yorktown.

There’s a funny scene in Tom Clancy’s book Red Storm Rising in which a British warship, HMS Battleaxe, send the following blinker-light signal to an American warship, USS Reuben James: “What the devil is a Reuben James?”  The US vessel sends back the signal, “At least we don’t name our warships after our mother-in-law.”

• @aequitas:

Doesn’t the RN use mainly Sea Harriers on them?

Here’s some new information on the subject.  According to this article from yesterday…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28153569

…the carrier will operate F-35 V/STOL joint-strike fighters.

By an odd coincidence, yesterday was also the day on which this news story emerged:

F-35 fighter jets grounded in U.S. until engine inspections complete
    Investigation has thus far failed to explain what caused an F-35 engine to explode in Florida

• Excellent news article. Thank you.
    Only a crew of 679: won’t be too cramped. Hope everyone knows two jobs!

Regarding, the problem with the Fighter engines: fantastic: we have a Carrier
    With no air. What happens in A&A when that happens?
    Sub anyone?

• Thanks for the new Info CWO Marc.

• @wittmann:

The WORSHAM family was split during the Revolutionary War, most fought for Independence, yet many fought alongside the Crown.

• @ABWorsham:

@wittmann:

The WORSHAM family was split during the Revolutionary War, most fought for Independence, yet many fought alongside the Crown.

Interesting. I think it is great that you know that too.
    Do you know if the members who stayed loyal to England were able to carry on their lives in America or if they were forced to move back across the Atlantic? Perhaps they went West, where no one knew them. You must be so happy to know so much about your ancestors.

• @wittmann:

Do you know if the members who stayed loyal to England were able to carry on their lives in America or if they were forced to move back across the Atlantic? Perhaps they went West, where no one knew them.

Some Loyalists ended up going to Canada, notably to Ontario and to what is now Quebec’s Eastern Townships region – so it’s possible that some of ABW’s ancestors moved over here.

• @wittmann:

@ABWorsham:

@wittmann:

Interesting. I think it is great that you know that too.
    Do you know if the members who stayed loyal to England were able to carry on their lives in America or if they were forced to move back across the Atlantic? Perhaps they went West, where no one knew them. You must be so happy to know so much about your ancestors.

The Loyalist moved to Maine.

The Revolutionist remained in Virginia; later moving to Alabama and further west into Texas. My family’s second revolution ended in defeat in 1865.

• Thanks for answering Worsham.
    Maine? Interesting. Would have been Massachusetts then. They did go far away (almost Canada, like Marc suggested).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m