G40 Strategic Objectives - Delta

• Sponsor

This thread is for G40 Strategic Objectives of the A&A 1940 Global house rule set called Delta. Each part can easily be played separately, however, all 3 parts were created to work together.

You can find Strategic Advantages by following this link…
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33704.msg1289064#msg1289064

You can find Fortunes of War by following this link…
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33730.0

and you can find the entire Delta rule set in one thread by following this link…
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33735.0

G40 Strategic Objectives

These new strategic objectives have been created to replace the original national objectives in an A&A 1940 Global game. “Home Lands” (original territories) are specific to the roundels printed on each territory, and the Japanese objective “Trade with USA” is the only objective to be collected during peace time. Also, Calcutta is considered an enemy city, rather than an enemy capital for the purpose of economic balance (see the city clarifications listed at the end of Strategic Objectives).

Germany

Enemy Capital
    $5 - Per enemy capital captured

Enemy City
    $2 - Per enemy city captured

Home Land
    $5 - Germany controls all their original territories

Oil Fields
    $5 - An Axis power controls Caucasus

Africa Korps
    $5 - Germany has 3 or more land units in Africa.

Soviet Union

Enemy Capital

Enemy City

Home Land
    $5 - Russia controls all their original territories

Lend Lease
    $5 - The allied powers control Archangel and there are no axis warships is sea zone #120

National Pride
    $5 - There are no allied units on originally owned Russian territories

United States

Enemy Capital

Enemy City

The North
    $5 - America controls Alaska and the Aleutian Islands.

The Americas
    $10 - America controls Western, Central, and Eastern United States, as well as Mexico, Southeast Mexico, Central America, and West Indies

The Outer Perimeter
    $5 - America controls Midway, Wake Island, Hawaiian Islands, Johnston Island, and Line Island

The South Pacific
    $5 - The Allied powers control The Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes

Japan

Enemy Capital

Enemy City
    (including Shanghai, even if not at war with the Pacific Allies)

Home Land
    $5 - Japan controls all their original territories

Trade With USA
    $10 - Peace with FIC, and the Pacific allies.

Chinese Capitulation
    $5 - Japan controls all Chinese original territories

The South Pacific
    $5 - Japan controls the Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes.

China

The Burma Road
    $5 - The allied powers control the Burma road.

Home Land
    $5 - China controls all their original territories

United Kingdom (Pacific)

Enemy Capital

Enemy City

Home Land
    $5 - The UK (Pacific) controls all their original territories

The Burma Road
    $5 - The allied powers control the Burma road.

United Kingdom (Europe)

Enemy Capital
    $5 for control of each enemy capital

Enemy City
    $2 for control of each enemy city

Home Land
    $5 - The UK (Europe) controls all their original territories

Operation Ultra
    $5 - There are no German submarines in the Atlantic

Italy

Enemy Capital

Enemy City

Home Land
    $5 - Italy controls all their original territories

The Mediterranean Coast
    $5 - Italy controls 3 of the 4 following territories, Gibraltar, Southern France, Greece, and/or Egypt.

Naval Superiority
    $5 - There are no allied warships in the Mediterranean.

The Middle East
    $5 - Italy controls Iraq, northwest Persia, and Persia.

North Africa
    $5 - Italy controls Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Tobruk, and Alexandria.

ANZAC

Enemy Capital

Enemy City

Home Land
    $5 - ANZAC controls all their original territories

The South Pacific
    $5 - The Allied powers control the Philippines, Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Celebes

France

Enemy Capital

Enemy City

Home Land
    $5 - France controls all their original territories

Clarification of enemy capitals, and cities

Important: Nations never receive bonus cash for cities they own to begin the game. However, once a city or capital has been captured, it now becomes an enemy city or capital to the nation that lost it. Therefore, once liberated, the bonus cash for the objective will trade hands and stay “in play” for the remainder of the game.

Axis Capitals

Berlin
    Rome
    Tokyo

Axis Cities

Warsaw

Allied Capitals

Washington
    London
    Paris
    Moscow
    Sydney

Allied Cities

Ottawa
    Cairo
    Leningrad
    Stalingrad
    Shanghai
    Hong Kong
    Calcutta
    Manila
    Honolulu
    San Francisco

• I just have a clarification question here about the home land objectives for Japan and China.  Do you consider the occupied territory in China at the start of the game originally Japanese or Chinese?  I assume they belong to China in all cases and purposes, but just making sure this applies to the objectives.  Once China gets all that land they didn’t start with back, they get that home land objective, right?

Japan would then get a bonus for Shanghai right off the bat too then right?

• Sponsor

@Ben_D:

I just have a clarification question here about the home land objectives for Japan and China.  Do you consider the occupied territory in China at the start of the game originally Japanese or Chinese?  I assume they belong to China in all cases and purposes, but just making sure this applies to the objectives.  Once China gets all that land they didn’t start with back, they get that home land objective, right?

Japan would then get a bonus for Shanghai right off the bat too then right?

You are correct on all accounts, meaning that whatever roundel icon is printed on each territory, counts as an original territory for that specific nation. Also, Japan would get $3 for Shanghai, but only when they are at war with the Pacific allies. I like this initial influx of money for Japan at war, because it will make it very difficult for the Americans to ignore Japan in favor of a massive landing in Spain.

I will make a clarification in the post,… good questions by the way.

• A suggestion: if you’re drawing a distinction between enemy capitals and enemy cities, you may want to append somewhere in your rules a list of all the VCs on the board and a notation of what their status is under the house rules.  I’m suggesting this because I looked at this issue in April in connection with the VC markers project and I found that the “capital” designation isn’t as straightforward as it appears.  There are actually four groups of VCs from that perspective:

True national capitals:

Berlin
      Cairo
      London
      Manila
      Moscow
      Ottawa
      Paris
      Rome
      Tokyo
      Warsaw
      Washington

Cities which are technically not national capitals, but which serve as the only VC located in a particular country:

Calcutta
          (The real capital was New Delhi)
      Sydney
          (The real capital was Canberra)

Cities which are technically not national capitals, and which are both located in a country for which no true capital serves as a VC:

Hong Kong
          (The real capital was Nanking)
      Shanghai
          (The real capital was Nanking)

Cites that are not national capitals and which are located in countries for which a true capital serves as a VC:

Honolulu
      Leningrad
      San Francisco
      Stalingrad

It’s fine to treat cities in whatever way you wish for your house rules, and I have no problem with the two-way capital-versus-city split you propose.  I’m simply thinking that a dispute may arise during a game about how to interpret such-and-such a city, and that the easiest way to deal with the problem is to provide the answer right in your rules in the form of a convenient table.

• Sponsor

I totally see the need now for the clarification…

Axis Capitals

Berlin
    Rome
    Tokyo

Axis Cities

Warsaw

Allied Capitals

Washington
    London
    Paris
    Moscow
    Sydney

Allied Cities

Ottawa
    Cairo
    Leningrad
    Stalingrad
    Shanghai
    Hong Kong
    Calcutta
    Manila
    Honolulu
    San Francisco

• @Young:

My initial reaction was to blink when I saw Ottawa not listed among the capitals.  Then I realized that you mean “capital” in the sense of “player nation capital”, so now I understand.  Perhaps your table could say “Axis Player Capitals” and “Allied Player Capitals” as a way to express this.

Just for fun, here’s an idea that might be worth considering.  The full-scale player nations of US, UK, USSR, ANZAC, France, Germany, Japan and Italy all have proper capitals on the map, but China, which is an oddball-status player nation, doesn’t have one.  Its pre-war capital was Nanking, but Nanking doesn’t appear on the map…and even if it did, it would be in enemy-occupied territory at the start of the game.  So here’s a thought.  Since a Victory City (capital or otherwise) is controlled by holding the territory in which it’s located, how about treating Szechwan (the province on the map containing the northern end of the Burma Road, which does appear on the game board) as a capital-containing territory for China?  The Chinese terminus of the Burma Road was Kunming (which would be the black dot on the map where the Burma Road ends), and Kunming was close to China’s provisional wartime capital of Chunking – so the northern end of the Burma Road more or less marks the place to which the Chinese moved their capital after the fall of Nanking.  This quasi-capital (if it were added to the game) could be used just for the income purposes mentioned in your house rules, or it could even be upgraded to full Victory City status.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

My initial reaction was to blink when I saw Ottawa not listed among the capitals.  Then I realized that you mean “capital” in the sense of “player nation capital”, so now I understand.  Perhaps your table could say “Axis Player Capitals” and “Allied Player Capitals” as a way to express this.

Just for fun, here’s an idea that might be worth considering.  The full-scale player nations of US, UK, USSR, ANZAC, France, Germany, Japan and Italy all have proper capitals on the map, but China, which is an oddball-status player nation, doesn’t have one.  Its pre-war capital was Nanking, but Nanking doesn’t appear on the map…and even if it did, it would be in enemy-occupied territory at the start of the game.  So here’s a thought.  Since a Victory City (capital or otherwise) is controlled by holding the territory in which it’s located, how about treating Szechwan (the province on the map containing the northern end of the Burma Road, which does appear on the game board) as a capital-containing territory for China?  The Chinese terminus of the Burma Road was Kunming (which would be the black dot on the map where the Burma Road ends), and Kunming was close to China’s provisional wartime capital of Chunking – so the northern end of the Burma Road more or less marks the place to which the Chinese moved their capital after the fall of Nanking.  This quasi-capital (if it were added to the game) could be used just for the income purposes mentioned in your house rules, or it could even be upgraded to full Victory City status.

The problem as it is right now (if it actually is a problem) is that the Axis powers (Japan in particular) will absolutely profit the most for capturing enemy cities (Japan will essentially claim up to $9 for cities that are easy to take and hold), so to add a Chinese capital city for no reason but to give Japan yet another target to profit from may unbalance the game.

In saying all this, did you notice that if the Allies take back and hold the Philippines, they will be denying Japan a total of $10 ?

• @Young:

The problem as it is right now (if it actually is a problem) is that the Axis powers (Japan in particular) will absolutely profit the most for capturing enemy cities (Japan will essentially claim up to $9 for cities that are easy to take and hold), so to add a Chinese capital city for no reason but to give Japan yet another target to profit from may unbalance the game.

Fair enough.  As I said, it was just an idea that I tossed in for fun in case it it turned out to be worth considering.  It arose from the discussion of the player capitals versus the cities, and I didn’t scrutinize it in any detail because I wanted to leave it up to you to decide if it worked or not in the context of your house rules.  So I have no problem with the idea turning out to be problematic.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

Fair enough.  As I said, it was just an idea that I tossed in for fun in case it it turned out to be worth considering.  It arose from the discussion of the player capitals versus the cities, and I didn’t scrutinize it in any detail because I wanted to leave it up to you to decide if it worked or not in the context of your house rules.  So I have no problem with the idea turning out to be problematic.

No problem, I greatly appreciate all your suggestions and there have been some great modifications because of them, I guess my problem is that I have played over in my head a lot of angles to these objectives, and it’s very easy to tip the scales of balance when restructuring an entire game mechanic like this.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m