• I can’t stop thinking about the failed clear or about that wide open shot Bradley had. That’s a goal if the ball is just a couple inches higher and/or to the right. GK was out of position and it was just one defender in the way.  :oops:

US advances with a win or draw against Germany. USA can still advance with a loss to Germany, but it depends on the result of the Portugal/Ghana game. A draw in the Portugal/Ghana game and US is in. US has a +5 GD against Portugal and only a +1 GD vs Ghana. So US fans should be rooting for a Ghanaian draw or loss (so long as Portugal doesn’t overcome the GD differential)

Of course we could just win/draw vs Germany!  :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@axisandalliesplayer:

I can’t stop thinking about the failed clear or about that wide open shot Bradley had. That’s a goal if the ball is just a couple inches higher and/or to the right. GK was out of position and it was just one defender in the way.  :oops:

US advances with a win or draw against Germany. USA can still advance with a loss to Germany, but it depends on the result of the Portugal/Ghana game. A draw in the Portugal/Ghana game and US is in. US has a +5 GD against Portugal and only a +1 GD vs Ghana. So US fans should be rooting for a Ghanaian draw or loss (so long as Portugal doesn’t overcome the GD differential)

Of course we could just win/draw vs Germany!  :-D

I don’t care how they do it, but I prefer them to do it on their own. :-D

• The US did very good!

• '19 '18

This thread now has one more German fan! Thanks A&A player for directing me here.

I watch a lot of football (yes I know you americans call it soccer, but no one else does, so deal with it!), not only tournaments like the WC. I know a lot of stuff about the teams, I know most of the players from their domestic leagues and so on. But the betting round I’m participating in with my friends is chaotic.

How am I supposed to make good bets with so many crazy things going on in this WC?

Costa Rica? WTF are you doing!
    Algeria? Where do you come from?
    Japan! Weren’t you the best Asian team for the last couple of years?
    Spain…. no words

This list could go on and on, it’s frustrating that all my football knowledge seems to mean nothing this year.

And I am 100% confident that someone or something cast a voodoo spell or whatsoever on every country from chile to mexico. It’s like them South and Middle American teams somehow have doubled and tripled their quality over night.

More recent news:

USA - Portugal, eh?
    Quite a nice game to watch, a lot of action. My bet was 1:1 so one part of me was happy to see the late equalizer. It also means that Germany only needs a draw to remain group winner, instead of needing a win.

On the other hand you guys were really fighting in that game, you have an awesome coach (go Klinsmann!) and you totally deserved that win. I can’t believe I’m saying that, but I was cheering for USA (thanks to the WC the world doesn’t hate you for 1 month!  :evil: :mrgreen:)

What do you guys think about tonight’s games?

Australia - Spain
    Curious to see if Spain really wants to reestablish some dignity or if the socceroos will land the knockout blow to a heavily damaged Furia Roja. My bet: 2:0

Netherlands - Chile
    Really looking forward to this. Both are through already, but the group winner will less likely face Brazil next round. Netherlands should be the better team, but I know better than to bet against South america. I say: 1:1

Cameroon - Brazil
    Easy thing. Cameroon totally disappointed so far and while Brazil wasn’t performing to their ability neither, this is one more win for South America. 0:3

Mexico - Croatia
    A real final for both of them. This game will be intense, both have quality teams. Gonna risk betting for Croatia: 1:2

• Here’s me at the end of the match: “No. Just hold it. Not there. No. No. NO. NO. NOOOOO. Expletive. Expletiving expletive. Expletiving Ronaldo. You’ve gotta be expletiving kidding me. Expletive.”

@MrRoboto:

This thread now has one more German fan! Thanks A&A player for directing me here.

I watch a lot of football (yes I know you americans call it soccer, but no one else does, so deal with it!), not only tournaments like the WC. I know a lot of stuff about the teams, I know most of the players from their domestic leagues and so on. But the betting round I’m participating in with my friends is chaotic.

How am I supposed to make good bets with so many crazy things going on in this WC?

Costa Rica? WTF are you doing!
    Algeria? Where do you come from?
    Japan! Weren’t you the best Asian team for the last couple of years?
    Spain…. no words

This list could go on and on, it’s frustrating that all my football knowledge seems to mean nothing this year.

And I am 100% confident that someone or something cast a voodoo spell or whatsoever on every country from chile to mexico. It’s like them South and Middle American teams somehow have doubled and tripled their quality over night.

More recent news:

USA - Portugal, eh?
    Quite a nice game to watch, a lot of action. My bet was 1:1 so one part of me was happy to see the late equalizer. It also means that Germany only needs a draw to remain group winner, instead of needing a win.

On the other hand you guys were really fighting in that game, you have an awesome coach (go Klinsmann!) and you totally deserved that win. I can’t believe I’m saying that, but I was cheering for USA (thanks to the WC the world doesn’t hate you for 1 month!  :evil: :mrgreen:)

Australia - Spain
    Curious to see if Spain really wants to reestablish some dignity or if the socceroos will land the knockout blow to a heavily damaged Furia Roja. My bet: 2:0

Netherlands - Chile
    Really looking forward to this. Both are through already, but the group winner will less likely face Brazil next round. Netherlands should be the better team, but I know better than to bet against South america. I say: 1:1

Cameroon - Brazil
    Easy thing. Cameroon totally disappointed so far and while Brazil wasn’t performing to their ability neither, this is one more win for South America. 0:3

Mexico - Croatia
    A real final for both of them. This game will be intense, both have quality teams. Gonna risk betting for Croatia: 1:2

I’m glad you found the thread. The more, the merrier!

We Americans do understand that this is football to the world, but you have to understand we have that word for another sport.

When I’m talking to an American, I use the word soccer, so that there is no confusion, what I’m talking about it, but here I used the word football, because it is understood that this is the world cup thread.

When I talk to someone about my past, I will use both terms to make sure they understand that I know the difference, especially if there from another country.

If you look at the history of both words, there is a rich, long history on both terms, as I’m sure, your aware.

As long as everyone respects each other, we can all be fans of football or whatever someone wants to call it.

I’m of German and Austrian descent, as well as other blood, in me, but I have to pull for my country. If our country is eliminated then I just enjoy the world cup, in general.

Any knowledge you have is always a welcomed inclusion in this thread.

From what I’ve seen or heard, I think all your picks are sound choices, but you never know what will happen in this crazy sport. :-D

• @MrRoboto:

Save money, don’t bet!

@MrRoboto:

Then you would have realized that :

-Spain is exhausted and CAN’T be a top favourite at the moment.
    -England is dealing with Generation issues like Spain had before, before becomming WC the first time.
    Germany dealt in the past with it and is about to have a good team. Portugal and Italy are about to face Generation issue next.
    -And the most diplomatic answer of course is, that all the South American and African teamplayers learned and were trainend in Europe!
    -The US have a solid and good team with an excellent Klinsi as their trainer who is less concerned about US criticisim and does what needs to be done.
    We could see the US advancing, maybe to the downfall of Germany.
    Klinsi would be the backstabber here in G. but I think he doesn’t care about it either…

• the climate is tense to all European players. Some say: but a lot of them allready used to the European weather.
      Maybe…,well… Seriously it is not effecting them to much as it does  to the European players.
      Das Laufpensum-  the work quota of Running is higher of all the South American and African and US players then to the Euorpean once, (hence to the climate). I mean just look how Ghana played. Not much tactical but they are looking for an opening, a weak spot and pass deep into it and one Ghana player will outrun/pick up the pass and kick a goal! Awesome!!

@MrRoboto:

Australia - Spain

Netherlands - Chile

Cameroon - Brazil

Mexico - Croatia

I think Aussi could win and sending Spain demolished home with no win at all.

Netherland - Chile will be not much to see since the saving up the Energy and Yellowcarders.

Mexico - Croatia will be the Game of today, all or nothing. Whoever gets them in next round will be happy  :-D.

Cameroon has nothing to loose and Brazil could even play it tactical and sit this one out by sending in B-Team to play.

I think MrRoboto, that you might have done the right calls but nobody really knows what allways is really going on.

It’s Soccer,

the round thing must go into the square thing.
    Das Runde muss in das Eckige. Franz Beckenbauer

• '19 '18

Netherlands win was quite boring. Chile did much more for the game, but it was not their day. That Alexis Sanchez though… I’ve not seen these great games from him in the barca dress.

Halftime now for Croatia - Mexico. Still rooting for Croatia, I just like their players.

Neymar is by far the best man in the other game so far. Good thing my answer to “Which country will have the topscorer of the WC?” was “Brazil”. A bit disappointed by Oscar, after he displayed a great performance against Croatia.

BTW, I only betted with my friends, the stake was just 5 EUR. But still, I’m such a competetive person, it hurts to perform so badly with my predictions this year. Usually I am spot on.

• Bugger!

Wow, FIFA needs to ban this player from the sport, since this has happened before. Has FIFA ever banned anyone for life?

• '19 '18

As much as I enjoy Italy dropping out of the WC… That ref made some serious mistakes in this game. But in the end I don’t care. Italy out, Spain out - Germany is basically world cup winner already! :-)

• Nice Tiger John Brown.
    Not sure if they have ever done that, but I suspect for misconduct, the answer is no.
    I can’t believe we have gone out in the First Round again.
    We were poor though.

@wittmann:

Nice Tiger John Brown.
    Not sure if they have ever done that, but I suspect for misconduct, the answer is no.
    I can’t believe we have gone out in the First Round again.
    We were poor though.

Thanks, I found the picture, yesterday. I wonder what it would take to get a lifetime ban for a habitual offender?

Congratulations to Germany for winning the group. I hated we lost, but at least we will advance to the 16. :-)

• @John:

Congratulations to Germany for winning the group. I hated we lost, but at least we will advance to the 16. :-)

Great! But congrats to the US boys, too - they well deserved advancing. Great games against Portugal and Ghana!

• Backing in is still in.

So has every team lost their game after playing in Manaus?

No because Portugal won.

@P@nther:

@John:

Great! But congrats to the US boys, too - they well deserved advancing. Great games against Portugal and Ghana!

Oh, for sure. I was just disppointed in the loss. I’m proud of our team. There is no doubt about that. :-D

• '19 '18

Exactly how popular is soccer in the USA this year? I remember that the German media tells us about new viewer records every single WC. But is soccer still just interesting for very few us-americans or is it starting to get a public thing?

I mean the WC basically dominates and defines German life for 1 month, it’s like 4 weeks of Superbowl :-)

And btw - I’m super drunk right now, celebrating the round of 16, so please don’t judge my English today

• It is picking up. I think as the US continues to have success in international competition it will continue to pick up. It is becoming less second tier.

I also think as the danger of American Football becomes more known, kids will be steered more to soccer and other less concussion inducing sports. A win against the Belgium team will be huge.

My interest has picked up considerable with the availability of Barclay’s Premier League matches. It was sort of a “Ohhhhh… Now I get what everyone sees in this” moment.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The MLS needs to change its protectionist transfer rules and let teams sign as many foreign stars as they like. Americans want to see professional sports played at their highest level by the best players, no matter where they’re from. We’re embracing the contributions of European and Latin American players in basketball and we’ve long since accepted the major presence of Latin Americans in baseball as well as buying Japanese stars.

I for one am excited by the signings of David Villa and Frank Lampard (best days long gone, but provides credibility) by the new MLS club in New York. As much as I can’t stand Man City I appreciate what their owners are trying to do here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m