Welcome! If you're a returning member of the forums, please reset your password. If you don't receive an email within minutes, it means your account is listed under another, likely older, email address. Contact webmaster@axisandallies.org for help.

Is This Alleged D-Day Footage Authentic?

• 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 '14 Customizer '13 '12 '11 '10

I just came across this video clip…

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/d-day-color-footage-24012510

…which purports to be colour footage of “U.S. forces storming Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944.”  Frankly, I’m sceptical, mainly because these guys don’t seem to be “storming” anything: they’re strolling about quite casually or marching in neat columns, and nobody seems to be shooting at them.  The real Omaha Beach was a bloody shambles from the first minute.  This looks more like a training exercise – and not a particularly rigourous one at that.  The landing craft looks odd too; it’s definitely not a Higgins boat, but it may be a type with which I’m not familiar.  I’m also puzzled by those shiny things on the backpacks (or life jackets) of the troops: if I didn’t know the alleged context of the video, I’d have said that they look like patches of Scotchlite retro-reflector tape (which as far as I know didn’t exist in 1944).  Opinions?

• 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 '14 '13 Moderator

If that is storming….most definitely strolling.
    I am one phone(and blind), so could not even make out if they were Americans. I am guessing you could see that at least. But if a con to call it what thy have done. They are not being shot at, so could be an exercise(a poor one) or a second wave at Utah.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

• 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 '14 Customizer '13 '12 '11 '10

@wittmann:

or a second wave at Utah.

That was my thought too until I noticed that the beach looked almost pristine: there’s hardly anyone or anything around.  If this was the real Omaha Beach, it should be littered with dead bodies and wrecked equipment and the sand should be all messed up: footsteps, jeep tracks, shell holes and so forth.  Utah Beach, as you suggest, would be more credible, since there wasn’t the same level of carnage there…but even then, we should be seeing piles of supplies stacked all over the place if this was a second-wave landing, since getting stuff ashore to support the initial lodgment was very important.  The guys in this movie seems to be heading out for a weekend at Brighton Pier rather that invading Fortress Europe.  If the ground component of the First Gulf War had been conducted at that tempo, it would have been called Operation Desert Stroll.

• 2018 2017 2016 2015 Customizer

It doesn’t look like anybody is in a hurry, so I don’t know what to make of it, to be honest.

• It looks like a training exercise to me. I guess it could be a follow-on wave of troops landing on a section of beach that hasn’t really been touched since we don’t see a wide shot of the beach in question, just a smaller subsection of it. But to me it doesn’t appear to be thing it’s purported to be for the reasons listed above. Still a good find though.

Welcome to the new forums! For security and technical reasons, we did not migrate your password. Therefore to get started, please reset your password. You may use your email address or username. Please note that your username is not your display name.

If you're having problems, please send an email to webmaster@axisandallies.org

T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games

Users

Topics

1.3m