Axis and Allies vs. Memoir 44

• After years and years of Axis and Allies, I finally have slowed down on online and live AA play.  I still thoroughly enjoy G40 and AA1914 but only play them live 1-2 a year now and maybe just 4-5 games online per year as well now.  Recently, I’ve gotten into Memoir 44 and M44 online as well.  For those of you you have played both, share your thoughts.  I find myself gravitating to M44 now because its faster, more flexible as far as number of players and time spent and it just feels more fun to me.  What do you think?

• I have a few of the M44 games that I bought for the sculpts, but I never played it.  It doesn’t really appeal to me personally because it’s tactical-scale rather than strategic-scale.  The two games are fundamentally very different, so comparisons are tricky to make; it basically comes down to what style of game a person prefers.

• I avoided it for that very reason, I was true blue AA then I finally tried it.  Believe me, you don’t know what you’re missing.  Its very good.  I like AA and M44 both equally.  What’s nice about AA is that it is more strategic vs. tactical, long planning, you get to play globally all the major nations with land, sea and air forces.  What’s great about M44 is that you can play it faster and get the AA fix in a half-hour or so.  The expansions really broaden the game and you can play in with terrain and other factors you don’t see in AA.

• I tend to agree on the apples to oranges thing. The primary thing that A&A has always had going against it is its length of play. Any sort of strategy game that is played in 3 hours or under will seem superior to A&A if you’re burnt out on the slog any version of A&A (except D-Day, BOTB, GCNL) can become.

I like Memoir for a similar reason that I like Battlecry in that each scenario is a little history lesson.

But gameplay wise you’re not dealing at all with similar things except at fundamentals of strategy games stuff.

• Yes they are different, but I enjoy them both.  G40 and AA1914 are keeping my interests but M44 is just so easy to pull out and play.  I see why most people gravitate towards M44 bc of the “time” factor.  That’s probably the only thing that gives it the edge.

• Customizer

I just bought the base copy after watching some videos of a scenario. Questioneer, this post is a good one. It may actually be a good recruiting tool for A&A. M44 is a quick easy game perfect for a WWII board game fix. I can’t wait to play this and fear I may be buying all of the expansions and such soon, as I will be addicted LOL!

• Yeah, AA is finally and officially over for me.

Check this…
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34702.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m