• @Black_Elk:

If you bid a sub for an attack on 37 you are pretty much locked in, but with a fighter in Egypt you could decide after you see the German opening.

I have to disagree about this. A sub in SZ 37 doesn’t have to attack Japan; you can just as easily take your whole Indian fleet and bring it to the Med. You’re still able to threaten pretty much all the same theaters as with a fighter. Therefore I would definitely take a sub and a ground unit over a fighter.

And since I don’t consider a sub and a ground unit to be all that great either (I think 3 ground units are far superior, unless you really want to go KJF), then the fighter bid is out of its league against its competitors. It’s an intriguing concept (especially if placed in Egypt), but in the end it’s just not worth it.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Good point,  from 35 it can transit back to the med, so its not totally locked in, but in terms of combat attacks you basically have only 37 and 61. I think there is probably general agreement that a fighter is not the most potent use of the ipcs.  Playing devils advocate just for the sake fully examining the issue. But I would concede, I am far more likely to bid ground :)

• I found a very interesting opening. take 9 bid, and bid 2 inf for UK and 1 for Russia. Bid inf in caucus, trans, and egypt. Bring 1 Russian tank to trans. You can now bring your UK fleet from the pacific into the med.

• Bad idea. Your fleet will just get destroyed by German fighters + their battleship.

• Only if his fighters are in position, and only if he killed your DD. He can kill you pretty easily, but you will have a carrier cruiser and 2 fighters that he has to kill. That means at least 3 fighters his bomber, if it survives, and his battleship have to hit you for it to be cost effective. If he has that much that can hit your fleet then don’t go into the med. Still a good move as allies regardless. Forces Germany into doing stuff he doesn’t like. Like taking Gibraltar first turn instead of trans.

• '16 '15 '10

So his aircraft would have to be on Southern Europe or Balkans in order to hit the fleet?  I like this idea  :-D.

I’ve only played one game and I’m a little surprised Axis is favored given that tanks are now 6 AND Allies have an perfect spot for invasion in Northwestern Europe.  Seems like Allies have a good shot at defeating Germany before Japan can take Moscow.

However, the starting factories in India and Karelia are great for Axis….

If you guys (ROC and Black Elk) play on TripleA…let’s give it a go sometime.

• Regardless, the inf and tank in Trans-Jordan are not only useless, but counter-productive. All this does is keep the Germans from taking that country, but if he wants to make such a huge mistake, you should let him. That would mean the battleship and transport would be sunk by UK1, with 1 bomber and 2 fighters.

As for going into the med, even if German planes aren’t in range, it’s still a mistake. All he needs to do then it put them in range in round 2, buy a carrier or interpose a destroyer, then destroy you in round 3. Your fleet is dead either way.

And that’s not even counting the fact that by sending it to the med for suicide, you forfeited the opportunity to either attack SZ 37 or sink the destroyer and transport in SZ 61 (while landing your plane in Szechuan to protect the US plane).

• I agree with zombie that reinforcing trans-jordan is unnecessary because of the threat of a profitable 2 fighter & 1 bomber counter. I think that bidding egypt with 1 infantry or 1 sub in the adjacent sz makes sense. This deters a slightly profitable attack by germany R1 with expected result of UK losing all 4 units in egypt and germany left with 1 bomber.

UK moving the Indian fleet to the Med is the optimal choice in some situations. It’s optimal when the UK wants to destroy the germany med fleet R2 and is willing to lose India earlier because SZ61 isn’t sunk. The critical factor is that Germany hasn’t deadzoned sz 15 so that UK carrier, cruiser, and 2 fighters can safely move in. R2, UK can project at least 4 fighters, 1 bomber, 1 cruiser, and 1 carrier which Germany is hopeless to defend. The main issue is that most good German plays will deadzone sz15, so this move normally isn’t an option.

• @Zhukov44:

So his aircraft would have to be on Southern Europe or Balkans in order to hit the fleet?  I like this idea  :-D.

I’ve only played one game and I’m a little surprised Axis is favored given that tanks are now 6 AND Allies have an perfect spot for invasion in Northwestern Europe.  Seems like Allies have a good shot at defeating Germany before Japan can take Moscow.

However, the starting factories in India and Karelia are great for Axis….

If you guys (ROC and Black Elk) play on TripleA…let’s give it a go sometime.

When I first looked at the board I thought that the allies were strong looking as well. surprisingly the India factory helps out the allies a lot more than the axis. A good UK player can keep India alive for a while.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

My friends and I used to feel Axis is strongly favored but after a few games I no longer able to beat my friend  consistently using Axis… :x… perhaps I don’t know how to use Axis well enough…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m