• What do people normally use for a dice server when they play online games against someone? What one works the best, or is the most efficient? I’ve never played online so I just want to know which one will be or should be the one I use.  And what does ADS stand for again? how does it work versus low luck or no luck.  I usually prefer the real dice so… yeah.

@General_D.Fox:

What do people normally use for a dice server when they play online games against someone?

Usually the AAMC roller or DAAK roller.
    However, Flames of Europe is also good.
    @General_D.Fox:

What one works the best, or is the most efficient? I’ve never played online so I just want to know which one will be or should be the one I use.

DAAK has been going down a lot lately, but is still good, the AAMC works well too.
    Flames of Europe is great if you don’t want to be bombarded with emails.  The dice rolls are kept in the Game Log at the site.

@General_D.Fox:

And what does ADS stand for again? how does it work versus low luck or no luck. I usually prefer the real dice so… yeah.

Automatic Dice Server

It basically means, regular dice, as if you were playing face to face and rolling the dice yourself.

LL, you’ll count up the offensive and defensive pts, then divide by 6 for guaranteed hits and then roll for the remainder.

Example, 6 inf, 4 arm vs. 4 inf 2 ftrs

18 pts vs. 16 pts
    The attacker gets 3 hits, defender 2 hits then he has to roll for a 4 or less for a 3rd hit.

If you’re “regular dice” kind of player then that would be ADS.

• The links in this thread don’t work for me.  Are they still good?

Thanks.
    I had trouble with the AAMC links that lead to the downloading area.

The Dicey links looked like they still worked.

I’ll try and update the download area links in the coming days.

Added in the Frood Link, but I still need to update the download links for the maps.

• 2007 AAR League

The download page for ABattleMap seems to be borked - are there alternate locations?

The link I found, http://www.flames-of-europe.de/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2, leads to a page with two PHP errors and nothing else.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

one day we need a programmer type to make a new battlemap…preferably one that has bigger islands and fits on a standard screen. :P

• 2007 AAR League

Hmmm… I wonder if this would be a good project to learn Flash with. I have a pirated copy of Flash MX that I’ve yet to really do anything with. Just keeping track of units and movement etc. would be a lot simpler than the sim I’ve built, it would be more a matter of learning to program something other than PHP.

Can TripleA be adapted for this purpose? Does anyone know anyone on the TripleA dev team?

• 2007 AAR League

Another solution would be to use an SVG file, or a Photoshop file with layers, where you could move/add/delete units and send that file to each other. But it sounds like one nice feature is having the moves automatically ported into a window for copy/paste.

• 2007 AAR League

@frood:

Can TripleA be adapted for this purpose? Does anyone know anyone on the TripleA dev team?

My brother is currently doing some development for TripleA.  We are playing a game here to test the changes as we go http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=8142.0

My limited understanding of TripleA is that it’s an entire game system that enforces all of the axis and allies rules on movement and combat etc.  Hacking it to remove the game system and just leave a “dumb” map is probably more effort than it is worth.  Then you’d also have to write the code to add/remove units since TripleA isn’t really a map editor in it’s current form.  If you wanted to make a new map, I’d suggest creating a new one for ABattlemap.  But you may want to wait and see how our experiment with TripleA goes first.

Rob

• 2007 AAR League

That looks very interesting. I saw that you’re wanting to add more dice servers - I’d be willing to host one.

Just one question - does TripleA e-mail  the dice to everyone? How does the other player enter the results? Oh wait, I guess you e-mail the game file back and forth. I tried tripleA PBEM just by myself and received dice rolls in my e-mail, but it was just a string of numbers - there was no indication of which ones were hits at which number. This was with the latest beta, not the stable version.

I’ve been playing the Easy AI just to get a feel for tactics and to scratch my itch until I can get into an actual game - is anyone working to improve the strength of that AI? The US usually has 23 transports parked off the African coast by the end of round 6.

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah, the dice email isn’t very pretty (just a string of numbers).  But remember that TripleA interprets the dice and automatically updates the board for you, so the dice email is just for your reference only.

Nobody is working on AI improvements that I know of, but if you are interested in contributing to the TripleA project and want to take a stab at the AI, then go to triplea.sourceforge.net for more info

• 2007 AAR League

I know nothing about AI programming (or Java).

But with the e-mails, it should as a bare minimum indicate what target value the dice were rolled at. That should be an easy fix, no? Or does the dice server only roll as many dice as TripleA requests, and then TripleA interprets the result by assigning the dice in the order rolled?

Sounds like TripleA might be the best option for PBEM out there. Does it allow bidding though?

• 2007 AAR League

IIRC, the subject line from the dicey email tells you how many units of each type it is rolling for.  eg. “Attacker rolling for 3 inf 4 arm” then the number string is in that order.  eg. “2 1 3 5 6 2 4” would be 1 inf and 1 arm hit.

TripleA does allow bidding, but as of yet does not allow unspent bid amounts to be rolled into starting cash for one of the axis powers (you have to spend the entire bid amount on units to place prior to R1).  We hope to fix that.  In my opinion, TripleA is the best option for PBEM, but is missing some handy features to make it even better.  Give us a bit more time and we’ll hopefully have something that works even better for PBEM than the current TripleA does.  Unfortunately, since TripleA is a game engine, all players must use TripleA (ie. one cannot use TripleA, one ABattlemap, and one a physical board, for example).  Some players are hesitant to use TripleA for various reasons including, but not limited to; their computer is too old, TripleA doesn’t have the features they need (ie. carry-over bid amounts, or edit map features, or turn summary unit listings, etc.), or some just prefer using a physical board.

• 2007 AAR League

What’s the point of end-of-turn summaries if you don’t need to enter the results on a board or abattlemap (which seems to be unavailable for download anyway).

And how big are the save files for e-mailing anyway? I’m guessing they’re small, since they are XML files. Actually, since they are XML-based, there should be no major obstacles to creating some web-based application to display results.

How long do you think before you can post a beta of what you’re working on now? I’d be interested in helping to test it if that’s needed.

• 2007 AAR League

My brother’s currently working on some coding.  He won’t even share the code with me, so I dunno :lol:

End of turn summaries are nice if you still want to post your turns on a forum.  Not necessary in order to play with TripleA, but a lot of players like to post their turns so they can go back after the fact and skim through their previous games.  Plus it shares the game with the rest of the community.

I think the save files are around 20k or so (I think).  If you are interested in beta-testing, we could fire up a multi-player game once our current game is done.

Rob

• Turn Summaries are a requirement for any system where you manually input data.  This would include anyone using a physical board (there are a few of us out there who love our game boards), or for folks who use ABattlemap, but do not accept attachments via e-mail and instead enter all moves to their own map each turn.

And the benefit for admining a Tournament is VERY great.

• 2007 AAR League

I need to beg a copy of Mots Mapview A&A module from someone.  I can’t find it on the Mots Mapview webpage, and I scoured the AAMC site to no avail (all the AAMC links to it from this site are now broken).

Does anyone have this module that they give it to me?  (looking for both Classic and Revised)  :?

• 2007 AAR League

What’s your e-mail - I just downloaded them yesterday. At least the AAR one.

• 2007 AAR League

Frood, I PM’d you my email.  Anyone else have a AAC module (classic)?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m