• Today was probably one of the most special moments in my naval career (16 years).  We’ve been in Vietnam for several days now.  You can easily see the attempts at modernization, and the old way of life here.  I’ve interacted with the civilians touring Da Nang, and doing Community Relations projects with the local orphanages and high schools.  Our ship is doing what we should be doing to many more nations…reaching out…The Vietnamese aren’t perfect, but we aren’t by any means.  The horrors of almost a half century ago seemed washed away as we celebrated a bloosoming partnership with a country we were once tearing apart.  I wonder if this is what it was like being stationed in Japan/Germany years back after WWII.  Only 8 ships have visited Vietnam since they opened up to the US, and to be a part of a potential partnership is quite frankly amazing.  It has only been 5 years since our first military agreement and we are performing operations with the Vietnamese.  Some of the people ask us if that China were to attack Vietnam, would we defend them…while that isn’t an answer a mere peon in the scheme of things could say yes too, I whole heartedly agree that what happened in the past was a mistake and we need to move forward.  The US is builiding partnerships in SE Asia and Vietnam has obviously been a focus since diplomatic relations were restored.  We were told they make $40 a month off minimum wage… life here is far different than what I am used too, but used the last few days to reflect on a half century of distrust.  I wonder why we haven’t opened up to Cuba, as promised…what is really holding us back?  Does it really just come down to national security?  Visiting the orphans and the high school students I saw hope…not only for a better Vietnam, but for a better partnership.  They seemed interested in us, and we reciprocated.  I wasn’t alive during the Vietnam war…I’m 35.  I don’t know what it was like during those times…but there were people at today’s reception on boths sides that were either old enough to be aware of things or be very self aware of that time period due to their age.  I am curious to see where this will go, and possibly see Vietnam as a potential ally in SE Asia.  We have come a long way from that period in our histor we probably wish to forget.    Its just after 1am here, and we are heading to bed.  But a new day is on the horizon, and I look forward to what that day will bring.  Have a good night.

• Thanks for the great post.  The situation you describe reminds me a bit of a situation that a WWII veteran encountered while visiting Arlington National Cemetary.  Not far from the Marine Corps War Memorial (the bronze statue based on the famous photo of the Iwo Jima flag-raising), he bought a small replica of the statue from a vendor.  On the underside of the replica were the words “Made in Japan.”  His initial reaction was outrage…but later on, as he reflected on the matter, he changed his mind because he realized that what he was holding in his hands was evidence that the United States and Japan were now at peace with each other – a situation which was certainly more desirable than the carnage of WWII.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Good read and glad to see that it provokes thought in you, me and others. Thanks Mallery.

• Agreed. Thanks.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I’m not sorry to be the dissenter when I say that Americas cause in vietnam was just.

• When are you getting left 4 Dead?

It’s heap cheap…

• I was actually suprised at the amount I wrote…we had the reception on the flight deck of the ship and we had many beers, especially after the Vietnamese and the Ambassador left…I myself had 13 when I wrote that 130am local Vietnam time…morning after was very painful.

• Did forget to mention the irony of it, but the name of my ship is the USS John S. McCain…

Not named for him, but interesting that the man who was once a POW returns via namesake in peace.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m