• Tough game for Boston to lose.  Montreal played pretty well.

• Sponsor

@axis_roll:

Tough game for Boston to lose.  Montreal played pretty well.

Subban and Price stole it, big opportunity Saturday afternoon for Habs to force their will on a Bruins team under pressure not to go down 2 heading to hostile Montreal.

GO HABS GO!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

Subban and Price stole it, big opportunity Saturday afternoon for Habs to force their will on a Bruins team under pressure not to go down 2 heading to hostile Montreal.

GO HABS GO!

Would love to be part of a “hostile” crowd at the Bell Centre… that would be fun.

• P.K. Subban’s goal was SICK, quite a move made Rask look pathetic.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=614733&navid=nhl:topheads

Disappointing loss to Minn for the Blackhawks. 
    However, I expected to lose 1 of 2 on the road.

Now we need to bounce back!

• '14

Go Pens!

• Sponsor

Although I now live in the big city of Toronto, this was definitely my family growing up on a farm in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

GO HABS GO! BIG GAME TONIGHT!

@Young:

Although I now live in the big city of Toronto, this was definitely my family growing up on a farm in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

Weird… like Canadian version of American rednecks, but more docile. And apparently into rap rather than Country or Southern Rock.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Anyone want to take Rick Nash for pennies on the dollar? Classic numbers-hanger for a non-playoff team that can’t play a feature role on a contending team. He might be best suited on the third line of a stacked team.

@General:

Anyone want to take Rick Nash for pennies on the dollar? Classic numbers-hanger for a non-playoff team that can’t play a feature role on a contending team. He might be best suited on the third line of a stacked team.

Maybe he just needs to find the right place.  :roll:  Marian Gaborik did the same thing in New York. He used to just fade away come playoff time. Now he’s shredding it in LA.  :?

Aberration? Don’t know. But yeah, Nash has been quite a letdown. B. Richards has not been worth what NYR paid for him either.

There’s a 99% percent chance Richards will be amnestied (thank the NHL and NBA for making that rarely used verb popular) in the off-season because of his ludicrous contract and the new CBA provision that punishes teams for players retiring early. The other 1% would be Nash.

I am wondering how long this has been so obvious (it seems like it is now for me anyway), that good teams, which are perennial contenders, rarely get there by BUYING their core/superstars. A team seems to function better when you draft the right guys, develop them and take care of them in your own system. That is a bit of a sequential process in that you cannot be a true long-time contender without good drafting.

Sure a team like the Red Wings of 1995 - 2004 bought a lot of high profile guys like Hull, Robitaille, Hasek, Vernon, Schneider (and more recently, Hossa). But Detroit had an amazing core of drafted players to begin with (Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Konstantinov, Osgood, etc…). They developed their team further by adding the right pieces around them (Shanahan, Chelios, Draper, etc…) and instilled enough success and desire that they stuck around for (or close to) the end of their careers.

Teams like Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Boston and Chicago are all in that category. They have all won cups in recent years. Their teams have been predominantly home-grown talent. Perhaps they traded or bought some of the guys like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter in LA, Hossa in Chicago, Neal in Pittsburgh, Chara in Boston… but their cores were all drafted and retained such that the team has some sort of identity. It helps to have a single coach who continues to foster this team-atmosphere.

This is not quite a revelation for me, but is something that has become very apparent in the last 5 years or so. You really have to have a bit of luck to pull it off, but more than that I think you just need savvy GMs who make the right choices on players and coaches and don’t look for the big acquisition to make an immediate difference. It is a process and impatience can be the worst killer.

Look at Vancouver… they too pretty much fit into the model of the above teams, and nearly had that success, but it all fell apart somewhere. Over the past 3 years they have nearly gutted their core (in all positions, but especially goal) and made a coaching change. I think that was due to impatience and feeling like they needed to make some change (just to look as though they were doing something), but the changes hurt more than they helped. Now they are farther behind than if they would have just held a steady course.

San Jose is also in the category of perennial contenders, because they have that constant core, but for some reason they cannot seem to finish… ever. That I think is more on the players than on management. The team has drafted well and pieced together excellent and consistent depth, but the guys just don’t close it out. The Sharks are a team that could have very easily won multiple cups in the past years. However, their success and their continual failure is due in equal measure to that team core.

The Rangers seem to be the example of that team who buys the guys but they just don’t work out as planned. They have drafted pretty well too, but when your top 3 forwards (Richards, St. Louis, Nash), and supposed superstar at that, are all huge free-agent contract or walk-away type guys… I think there is a problem.

Minnesota seems to be a minor exception in that Parise and Suter are working out very well for them. Granted, I think they went to the Wild for different reasons than guys typically go to New York, and I do think that is important. We have yet to see how that situation really ends up though.

It has also been a very short time for Edmonton, but while they have gotten great draft prospects for years, they have not been able to put anything significant together. This becomes more of a management/coaching issue, because they have all the home-grown talent they could want (or potential to have that talent)… but they seem to be squandering their golden opportunity.

Colorado is the reverse… but that too is because of a good management and coaching change in Sakic/Roy. They are developing what they have into some cohesive whole.

Calagary is just a hot mess. And always will be.

• Off to Boston for game 5    CAN THEY DO IT ON THE ROAD!!!
    Alot of crossbars and posts

• Only if Labron James comes to play for them tonight.

• Sponsor

@suprise:

Off to Boston for game 5    CAN THEY DO IT ON THE ROAD!!!
    Alot of crossbars and posts

It’s going seven for sure.

When the cameras showed a close-up of Fleury after he let in a very saveable Hagelin shot I thought for sure he was flustered and the game would be a blowout. But he and the Pens did settle down to force the Rangers to earn the win. After the disasters in Games 3 and 4 a seventh game is all I could ask for.

• Sponsor

Huge game tonight, GO HABS GO!

Last night’s game provided the validation Lundqvist needed from the fickle fans here that accuse him of not coming up big in the playoffs. He played on his head, including the sequence with five and a half minutes left where he had to make body saves after losing his stick.

@General:

Last night’s game provided the validation Lundqvist needed from the fickle fans here that accuse him of not coming up big in the playoffs. He played on his head, including the sequence with five and a half minutes left where he had to make body saves after losing his stick.

Yes, his stats in game 7s are also quite impressive. I know there has been a lot of talk about him not being able to deliver in the postseason, but I would say that blame should fall much more on the guys playing in front of him, if anyone. Especially this year.

Now I just need him to pitch a few shutouts for my Pool team and I will cheer his name from the rooftops.

• One of the Monteal newspapers this morning said that the Canadiens had “achieved the improbable” by defeating the Bruins in Boston in Game 7.  I don’t know if “improbable” was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek understatement, but anyway the locals were very happy last night.

@CWO:

One of the Monteal newspapers this morning said that the Canadiens had “achieved the improbable” by defeating the Bruins in Boston in Game 7.  I don’t know if “improbable” was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek understatement, but anyway the locals were very happy last night.

I think “improbable” is the appropriate word choice. Montreal was down 3-2 and came back to win 2 games in a row against the best team in the league. I’d say that was improbable, though certainly not impossible.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m