• So, my friends and I have played a lot of AAG40. Recently, we’ve come up with the idea to make the game longer and more interesting by increasing the number of pieces that each country has to manage. This way, there would be bigger battles, more options for maneuvering, and new strategies available. Our first idea was to simply double the amount of pieces that every territory or sea zone has at game start. However, this would probably horribly unbalance the game and would require tweaks.

Has anyone ever tried a game with an expanded number of pieces? If so, please share your methods and experience!

• Sorry Little_Boot, I cannot be of help due to no experencie with that…

I think it will indeed unbalance the game when simply doubling all pieces by type in an area. However, it seems to me you can double just the number of pieces in each area (not necessarily and in some cases definately not by type!), but you will still need to test each chance for gamebalance.

For example, if you double Japan’s pieces, instead of doubling its aircraft, I’d place an extra INF in each area for each present plane. Or CA/BB in the case of a SZ. Same story for Germany (ARM, ART or INF instead of AIR). For the allies a completely diffent approach would be needed. Creative thinking for each Major Power apart. If you keep their historical strengths and weaknesses in mind, it could work. But imho you can’t escape some serious game tesing. My two cents of thinking.

Good luck with your project!

• '21 '18

I like to add more pieces (mostly navy) sometimes to make the game more historical, flexible and… longer!

France

-TT off the coast of G-B or Morocco.
    -2 Inf in French Indochina
    -DD of the coast of French Indochina

Italy

-SS off the coast of Ethiopia

Soviet Union

-SS in the Pacific

G-B Europe

-Inf in Gibraltar

Germany

-A couple more subs…!

• Customizer

Little_Boot,

––If you want an longer A&A game with expanded unit types, new countries to play, and some additional land & sea zones I suggest you check out HBG’s Global Warfare 1939. It has been play tested for approximately two years and is quite balanced now.
    ––IMHO,…it is just what you have described. You can use the A&A units you already have and just add the new countries units and the new unit TYPES for the ‘standard’ countries.
    ----I have no doubt that HBG’s Global Warfare 1939 is to be the future of our A&A gaming experiences. They are already planning to release a 1934/36/39 version later this year(2014).

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m