• Customizer

There has been many discussions on air combat in the forums for a long time. This idea may be favorable to some as an alternative to OOB rules as such. It would require changes of stats and roles during battles and even add additional stats to OOB units. Personally I’m not fond of this idea I’m presenting, but I believe it may be of some value to some players.

First we need to add a new step in the combat phase Air Combat. Before that we need to change the stats of some of the units. Two new stats will be added. ACA=Air Combat Attack and ACD=Air Combat Defense.

To make it interesting I have optionally changed two units so they may participate in the Air Combat Phase. The Cruiser and AAA are changed the AAA more radically.

Let’s start with the Cruiser.

A3/D3/M2/C12-ACA1/ACD1  The CA now has the ability to participate in naval air combat. Not only does this add some fun to the game but makes the cruiser worth buying.

AAA

A2/D2/M1/C6-ACA1/ACD1  The AAA is now considered artillery in general combat. It still functions as an AA gun in the AC phase but attacks and defends on a 1:1 ratio in all combat phases. This promotes purchasing and breathes some life into this potentially interesting piece.

Here are the new stats for aircraft:

Fighters
    A2/D2/M4/C10-ACA3/ACD4 Fighters remain at ACA/ACD stats if air superiority is achieved.

TBs
    A3/D3/M4/C11-ACA1/ACD2 All OOB stats apply other than AC phase stats.

SBs
    A4/D1/M6/C12-ACA1/ACD1 All other OOB stats apply except in AC phase.

Air Combat Phase:

The AC phase will determine who has air superiority on the battle field. If air superiority is achieved, fighters may attack in general combat with ACA/ACD stats. Otherwise they are use general combat stats.

The AC phase is required unless there are no units on the board capable of participating in the AC phase.

How the Air Combat Phase works:

Before all general combat all eligible units are placed on the battle board. In this phase all eligible units are subject to their ACA and ACD stats.

The AC phase lasts until all of one sides fighters either retreat or are destroyed. Both attacker and defender have the option to retreat fighters AFTER at least one round of combat is complete.

Step 1 Attacker fires. The defender chooses his casualties and puts them in the casualty zone.
    Step 2 Defender rolls.
    Step 3 Casualties are removed from the board.
    Step 4 Attacker may press attack or retreat. If the attacker chooses to press the attack the defender still has the option to retreat from AC phase.
    Step 5 Repeat steps 1-4 until all fighters on one side are destroyed or one side had decided to retreat from the AC phase.
    Step 6 Determine air superiority. Whichever side has remaining fighters or did not retreat from the AC phase is the winner and has supremacy of the air.
    The winner may use their fighters at ADA/ADC stats in the general combat phase. All other units revert to their general combat statistics at the completion of air combat.

• '17 '16

The rules and steps seems functional and inspired by 1914.
    The problem is that you will need a way to replace planes in your G40 because casualty rate will be much higher than in OOB game.

• '17 '16

A2/D2/M1/C6-ACA1/ACD1  The AAA is now considered artillery in general combat. It still functions as an AA gun in the AC phase but attacks and defends on a 1:1 ratio in all combat phases. This promotes purchasing and breathes some life into this potentially interesting piece.

First time I saw this way of playing it. Original one!

• Customizer

This is a really loose idea and anybody could improve upon it as they wish.

• Customizer

@Baron:

The rules and steps seems functional and inspired by 1914.
    The problem is that you will need a way to replace planes in your G40 because casualty rate will be much higher than in OOB game.

I agree there could be huge casualties, but that’s why I left the retreat option open to the defender after one round of Air Combat. The loser simply has a lower defense in the general combat phase. If the ground forces are strong enough planes do not have to be sacrificed.

My reasoning for the Air Combat phase is to simulate the principal of air cover. It can be a strong strategy for either the defender or the attacker. It’s quite possible for either to lose badly. What this does is let either side choose how badly they want air support for ground or naval units by forcing them to either; risk fighters to support a bombing campaign, use their fighters to defend against enemy aircraft without the ability to soak hits with cheap units, or take one round of air combat to save air units but not have the advantage of high-powered fighters screened by weaker units.

• Customizer

@Baron:

A2/D2/M1/C6-ACA1/ACD1   The AAA is now considered artillery in general combat. It still functions as an AA gun in the AC phase but attacks and defends on a 1:1 ratio in all combat phases. This promotes purchasing and breathes some life into this potentially interesting piece.

First time I saw this way of playing it. Original one!

Yeah I see no reason why this unit needs to function as it does. We have built-in AA on facilities now. So why not try doing something different with a unit that has potential?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m