"Realistic" Casualties and additional pieces

• Hello all,

i am quite new to the forum, so I hope I didn’t just oversee a recent post regarding this topic.
    I played Revised quite a lot some years back and now got a group together for global 40. And I remembered what was always bothering me a little about the combat system in general: the casualty distribution (player chooses almost always his own at will). I am aware that any changes here will possibly affect balance quite a lot and need to be carefully tested. That’s why I am asking you ;)

Do you play or know of any solid, not too complicated house rules that allow for a “realistic” distribution? In my eyes, tanks should rather hit enemy tanks first if present; fighters any other planes if present; tac bombers ground units, art and str. bombers rather random ground units, perhaps as opening fire. Similar with naval units: battleships wouldn’t target destroyers first if there are larger, more threatening enemy ships present; subs could perhaps have a “selective” shot if no destroyer is present etc.

You get what I am aiming at. I have seen elsewhere some similar rules, called “enhanced realism” or similar, but it also didn’t seem too complete in that manner. (and they charge for the rulebook) So the question, anyone plays with rules that sort of take these thoughts into consideration, how do they work for you, what changes on other rules come along with them? I did not come to test my ideas properly yet, so would be great if anyone has already tested such mechanics.

Second request, I see these quite spectacular additional pieces from HBG or other sides, how do you guys implement them? Changing the whole game set up (for some historical accuracy, i.e. more light tanks in 1940)? Research in order to make additional pieces available, like heavy tanks, jets ? (I suppose you modify development rules when playing anyway)

Well, quite a lot of questions here :p Would be glad for any opinion or experiences on one of these points! If this in any form answered in a previous thread, my apologies. Thanks a lot and greetings from the front!

• This is what we did in AARHE back in 2004.

Planes can only attack planes at reduced combat values. Tank hits would go against other mech units. At sea, certain units could screen out carriers from being shot at for example, but in general, ships fought their own type.

It adds more realism but perhaps longer playing times. Not sure if it’s more fun to do it that way it depends.

• Thanks for the response IL. I actually remember that I downloaded the AARHE files back then but never brought them to play. I will have a look at those again :) May I ask if you play with those rules regularly or does it turn out to be just to much hassle?

• @Scharpess:

Second request, I see these quite spectacular additional pieces from HBG or other sides, how do you guys implement them? Changing the whole game set up (for some historical accuracy, i.e. more light tanks in 1940)? Research in order to make additional pieces available, like heavy tanks, jets ? (I suppose you modify development rules when playing anyway)

See this thread for discussion of the topic you mention:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32314.0

• Amazing, thanks a lot CWO!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m