• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

AA.org community,

I am big fan and supporter of this website, so I thought it would be be fun to let you all in on the fact that I have written and self-published a novel called: The Rum and the Fury.

Here is the quick and dirty description of the book:

Disaffected student-activist Taylor Johnson is broke and has been evicted from his housing co-op for “betraying” the cause. This leads him to a job tracking down the son of a wealthy family who has joined a radical environmental group in Florida. In pursuit, Taylor is drawn down the Overseas Highway toward Key West. There, he encounters and clashes with drunk militiamen, cowboys, senior citizens, academics, vagrants, Ivy League preppies, drug dealers, politicians, moonshiners, techno DJs, sea hags, sharks and punitive drinking games, all while a massive hurricane threatens to make landfall. The Rum and the Fury is a dark comedy satirizing contemporary college life, politics and conceptions of national decline.

If any of you are interested in checking it out, please follow this link: http://j.mp/rum-fury-aaorg

I worked with Dave Jensen on posting this, and AA.org benefits if you follow the above link.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions by pm-ing me or posting here.

Thanks!  :lol:

Karl

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I look forward to reading my copy!!! Congrats!

• '14

Awesome! and congratulations!!

It sounds very promising too…

Hope to read it sometime

Thanks for the support.

Also, for non-Kindle readers you can get other formats here:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/421246

• Awesome news!

• '15 '14

Karl, you could put some A&A specific insider notes/paragraphs in the book to increase sales from here:)

And congratulations for publishing your book! I assume its the first you published?

@JDOW:

Karl, you could put some A&A specific insider notes/paragraphs in the book to increase sales from here:)

And congratulations for publishing your book! I assume its the first you published?

:lol:

There are not any A&A references in the book if that is what you mean.  Yes, it is the first I published.

The self-publishing ebook world is like the wild west!

Oh, one more thing, you can follow the book/me here:

www.karlrunft.com

SPECIAL PROMOTION, ONE TIME ONLY!!

To promote the launch of my book, I’ve generated a coupon to buy the book at Smashwords for .99 for you A&A.org members!

Coupon Code: VU99S

Just go to Smashwords, find my book: The Rum and the Fury and presto! You can download an ebook version in almost any format.

Karl

• Bought it - thanks for the discount - looking forward to reading it

• '12

@Gamerman01:

Bought it - thanks for the discount - looking forward to reading it

you never read books!!!  as great of a writer as i’m sure karl is, you should probably ready atlas shrugged first and THEN the rum and the fury  :wink:

• Nope, reading this first

• '12

@Gamerman01:

Nope, reading this first

no doubt it will be a great read.  but will you read it before you retire!?  :-)

• I will have more time to read AFTER I retire

BOOK LAUNCH PARTY

To all who have been following this, I am having a book launch and signing party tomorrow at The House of Shields Bar at 39 New Montgomery in downtown San Francisco.

If anyone from the A&A community shows up, I will give a discount on buying a print copy.

Hope to see you there!

Karl

(I would attach the color invite, but the uploader is full. But you can see it at: www.karlrunft.com)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Ok so Karl gave me a copy in person over a year ago.

I Tried to start it a few times and never got into it more than a page or two.

I spent the last seven days in Cuba and decided that that would be a good time to read Karls book.

WOW - guys - it was awesome!!!  Couldn’t put it down once I got into it.  Story is compelling, deep, hilarious and exciting, with twists and turns and awesome characters all around.

My trip to Cuba was great but the best part was bringing this book!!!

I Regret not getting into it sooner; and I don’t regret much in life.

Guys - if you own it read it! If you don’t - then go and get a copy!

• I never posted my reaction to the book on this thread?

I read it soon after I got it, and I thought pretty much the exact same as Garg.  It was a great book, and I read it cover to cover within a couple of days.

I am trying to read his second, and like Garg, had trouble getting past the first page or two the first attempt, but I know when I sit down to read it again, it will be awesome.  You just gotta get past the first page or two I guess.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m