C-47 'SkyTrain' Air Transports from HBG

• Customizer

Guys,

––In the seemingly overwheming avalanche of new units that HBG is producing is a unit that might have been overlooked by most. The American C-47 Air Transport. It is listed in the contents of the
    HBG-French WW2 set. All I can say is , Wow,…THANK YOU,…and it’s about time. This set is already full of good units and I predict it will be a very popular set.
    ----For myself, I can’t wait to have some painted for my American ‘Troopers’ that have been waiting for some airlift capacity in order to do some Paratroop Drops! Just look at my Paratroopers below and you can descern a wry smile because the realize they will soon be “in the game”!

“Tall Paul”

usairforce1.jpg

• you know the C-46 Transport plane has been out for awhile now? I believe with the FMG Italian set, German set, Japanese set, Early War Russian Set and Allies Supplement set everyone has a transport plane now.

• Customizer

When FMG was planning the US set, they had the C-47 planned as the transport plane. So when HBG came out with the US Supplement set, they decided on the C-46 to avoid duplicating unit sculpts.
    Then FMG got ripped off and the combat pieces project folded, so the C-47 was no more so we just had HBG’s C-46, which is just fine in my opinion.
    However, I guess some people decided that the C-46 wasn’t good enough and started hounding HBG to make a C-47.
    I guess some people just can’t be pleased.

• The C-47 Skytrain, a.k.a. the Dakota (and less formally, the Gooney Bird) is a good choice for a sculpt because the actual aircraft was extremely versatile.  It was used in all sorts of roles: general cargo carrier, troop transport, paratroop transport, supply-drop aircraft, and if I’m not mistaken as a glider tug.  Eisenhower held it in high regard.

• Customizer

Yavid & others,

@Yavid:

you know the C-46 Transport plane has been out for awhile now?
    Yes sir. I have about a dozen of them.
    I believe with the FMG Italian set, German set, Japanese set, Early War Russian Set and Allies Supplement set everyone has a transport plane now.
    You are correct, and it’s been a while coming to this point. Whenever this C-47 is produced; now everyone will be able to have Air Transport planes for all of the countries and therefore use them for Paratroop drops as well.

––“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

KNP7765 & others,

––The HBG C-46 is “Just fine in my opinion”, too. The C-46, while an almost entirely different a/c with almost twice the capacity of the C-47, is certainly “good enough” and I might add detailed enough to serve as the only American/Allied Air Transport and I’m very “pleased” that we have it. I don’t think that I have said or demonstrated otherwise.
    ––However, I did point out to Doug of HBG that he might consider producing the Douglas C-47 in the Japanese Supplement as the Japanese produced them under license. Another point was they would be useful for USA, UK, Anzac, and Japan,….all for only ONE sculpt. This would possibly allow another sculpt for all of the other sets.
    ----Personally, I’m thrilled he aparently decided to furnish a completely unique Air Transport unit for all countries. Also I might add,…**I’m pleased with everything HBG decides to produce,

OVERWHELMINGLY SO!** Thanks again HBG, you are my ‘Heroes’.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

CWO Marc & others,

@CWO:

The C-47 Skytrain, a.k.a. the Dakota (and less formally, the Gooney Bird) is a good choice for a sculpt because the actual aircraft was extremely versatile.  It was used in all sorts of roles: general cargo carrier, troop transport, paratroop transport, supply-drop aircraft, and if I’m not mistaken as a glider tug.  Eisenhower held it in high regard.

––And let’s not forget the US Navy/USMC called it an R-4D. My ParaMarine Raiders, shown below, will now have a ride,….at least for the outward bound part of their trip.

“Tall Paul”

marineairforce2.jpg
    marineairforce1.jpg

• didn’t Russia make the C-47 without the license?

• Customizer

I’m all for having the C-47 and C-46. My Grandpa was a mechanic in India so the planes have some sentimental bias for me. It also may give us heavy and light transports to have both. I would really like a B-29 and gliders.

LOL now I just have to figure out how to pay for all the units I’m going to buy.

• Customizer

@toblerone77:

I’m all for having the C-47 and C-46. My Grandpa was a mechanic in India so the planes have some sentimental bias for me. It also may give us heavy and light transports to have both. I would really like a B-29 and gliders.

LOL now I just have to figure out how to pay for all the units I’m going to buy.

Ah, THAT is the real point, isn’t it? I was so proud of myself by building up my Paypal account. Then the pre-order came up for UK. Paypal account DRAINED! Time to start over again.

• Customizer

@knp7765:

@toblerone77:

Ah, THAT is the real point, isn’t it? I was so proud of myself by building up my Paypal account. Then the pre-order came up for UK. Paypal account DRAINED! Time to start over again.

Already I have to hold off a bit there’s some more neutrals,  facilities, and Russian units I need. Im going to pre order for sure but I don’t think I’ll get to wild until till we get closer to production this time. I’m in total anticipation of the Japanese units to be delivered.

• Customizer

toblerone77 and others,

@toblerone77:

––I have always favored the idea of heavy(C-46) & light(C-47) transports. I would be tremendously happy if we ever were fortunate in having some C-54 4-Engine Transports one day,…OR even a 4-Engine seaplane transport. WOW!
    ----BTW, I’ve already received the B-29’s and Gliders and can testify to their high detail.

––Yep,…This is a reality of life.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

@Tall:

toblerone77 and others,

@toblerone77:

––I have always favored the idea of heavy(C-46) & light(C-47) transports. I would be tremendously happy if we ever were fortunate in having some C-54 4-Engine Transports one day,…OR even a 4-Engine seaplane transport. WOW!
    ----BTW, I’ve already received the B-29’s and Gliders and can testify to their high detail.

––Yep,…This is a reality of life.

“Tall Paul”

TP and others,

I have looked at Coach’s stuff on shapeways.com and it is great. However with my budget the time, labor, and materials to paint them up for my personal taste is out of my budget. I do paint, but that is expensive and I have worn out and used much of the materials I have to paint with. I’m a “mixed” customizer. I like some units painted in detail and I’m still working on much of my collection. I’m also a big fan of collecting solid colored sculpts in different colors and love the beauty and versatility of un-painted, semi-stock pieces for my collection.

All topics aside, I’m a bit of an “odd duck” when it comes to A&A. I would like to see a good selection of transport vehicles for my collection. The more the better.

Lastly, “Nobody Does It Better Than HBG!”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m