Personal arguements will end, right now

• Just because it is not commonly spoken does not mean that people do not speak it.

If I learn Spanish, but my native language is English, do I not speak Spanish?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Janus1:

Because I enjoy it.

Tacete! Stay on subject.

imbecile! im not questioning the value of studying it, dont put words in my mouth. im challenging what you said about “speaking” it. its a dead language. nobody speaks it anymore. it is nobody’s first language, it is not changing or evolving. it is closed. people learn it to understand it and read it. they dont speak it.

and jen gets the going off topic award…

Sorry, I did ramble on a bit and go off on a tangent, didnt I?

• when did spanish become a dead language?

who speaks latin, and where?

• ummm another thread is needed perhaps??

• who speaks latin, and where?

There is a difference between I am able to speak Latin (possum vocere Latinum) and I speak Latin with my homies on the weekend (voco Latinum cum hominius)

• i took three years of Latin, and didnt learn squat, so in my opinion, its a dead language. :)

• @Jennifer:

Latin’s a very important language to study. Many of today’s languages hail from latin heritage so you can actually use latin to understand your own language more fully.

I think that’s why it’s a popular foreign language in colleges. I kind of wish, in a way, it was required in Jr. High School and High School instead of letting the children choose a foreign language on their own. At the very least we could require it in addition too a foreign language.

Then again, I see no problem with the 9 hour school day, much as many on this board may see problem with it, there are some good I can see from it:

1. A refocusing on hard sciences and mathematics can be established

2. There would be time to teach Christianity, Muslim, Buddist and other religions’ base premises.

3. There would be more time for skill training. (Auto shop, wood shop, metal shop, cooking, tailoring, etc.)

4. There would be structured time for children when their parents are at work instead of allowing them to become hoodlums in the neighborhoods because they are unsupervised.

I’m sure I can think of more reasons later, but that’s what I could think of right off the top of my head.

I agree with a lot of that, but the last part bothers me a bit. Not because you aren’t right. But because school is not the place to teach a kid values. Keeping them pre-occupied with crap does not mean they are brought up right. People have kids that have no bussiness having kids. They neither know nor care how to raise a child the right way. The burden of your sex should not fall on the rest of society. To use a bad quote, but an appropriate one “you need a license to drive a car, you need one to even catch a fish! But anyone can have a kid.” - “Parenthood”.

I think the major cause of dumb assess in the world is because people have no idea (or care) how to raise a child. To be ready to have kids is based off one thing, and one thing only. “My child’s needs come before my own.”

The way things are, the opposite is true. A parent needs to be home to raise a kid, mother or father. And as far as the ecomony of a family goes. Depends on which parent is more economicaly able to, and which is able to raise the children best.

@Yanny:

who speaks latin, and where?

There is a difference between I am able to speak Latin (possum vocere Latinum) and I speak Latin with my homies on the weekend (voco Latinum cum hominius)

Touche’

However, there are societies (cults, gangs, clubs, whatever you call them) that do speak latin at meetings however. So technically, it isn’t a dead language….but it’s most assuredly not a primary language for anyone.

So why do you think many languages hail from Latin? I’m thinking it might be because of the church myself. For a long time all services were held in latin and that may have unduly influenced the development of many languages.

Any other ideas?

• So technically, it isn’t a dead language….

actually, technically, it is. there are no native speakers is sufficient, and necessary, for it to be considered a dead language.

also, while there are some who speak the language, there exist no native speaking communities, which would cause change and evolution of the language, as naturally happens with living languages.

• @Janus1:

also, while there are some who speak the language, there exist no native speaking communities, which would cause change and evolution of the language, as naturally happens with living languages.

That might change the moment the catholic church declares the celibate as obsolete :) …. and the Vatican is changing the language. There are latin words for car, TV etc etc.

• @Jennifer:

So why do you think many languages hail from Latin? I’m thinking it might be because of the church myself. For a long time all services were held in latin and that may have unduly influenced the development of many languages.

Any other ideas?

Roman Empire.
    It turned christian quite after it had conquered “the world” and even then there was the conflict between the greek and the roman part of the church.
    It’s not the church, but the empire.

• So why do you think many languages hail from Latin?

Spanish - Directly from Rome
    French - Directly from Rome
    Italian - Directly from Rome
    Portugeese - Directly from Rome
    English - German in structure w/ French/Latin vocabulary
    Modern Greek - Some Latin influences (Eastern Empire didn’t speak Greek entirely for a few hundred years)

• @Yanny:

So why do you think many languages hail from Latin?

Spanish - Directly from Rome
    French - Directly from Rome
    Italian - Directly from Rome
    Portugeese - Directly from Rome
    English - German in structure w/ French/Latin vocabulary
    Modern Greek - Some Latin influences (Eastern Empire didn’t speak Greek entirely for a few hundred years)

But Yanny
    You forgot about Mexican, Macau-an, Brazillian, Peruvian . . . . :P

• And Canadian : )

@Janus1:

So technically, it isn’t a dead language….

actually, technically, it is. there are no native speakers is sufficient, and necessary, for it to be considered a dead language.

Gotcha. I thought dead language meant no one spoke it on a regular basis. I was not aware it meant that there were no native speakers of the language.

@F_alk:

@Jennifer:

Any other ideas?

Roman Empire.
    It turned christian quite after it had conquered “the world” and even then there was the conflict between the greek and the roman part of the church.
    It’s not the church, but the empire.

Interesting thought process. I can’t argue with that too much, but I’d like to inject a thought for contemplation which is:

After the Roman Empire(s) fell, the church maintained the religion and practice which may have stymied independant developments of languages a little. At least until writters began writting the Bible in native tongues.

And American! You can’t forget that, since those silly Brits refuse to convert to our style of English. :) (Humor!!!)

• @Jennifer:

After the Roman Empire(s) fell, the church maintained the religion and practice which may have stymied independant developments of languages a little. At least until writters began writting the Bible in native tongues.

I don’t think that the language of the “intellectuals” had too much influence on the people. Remember, that even many low-level priests were not able to speak latin and thus to understand what they actually “preached”.

Also, you should check when the bible was translated into native tongues. Greek is a native tongue and the language of earlier bible versions. There was a gothic version, even during the last west roman days.

I think you make the mistake of first saying “all christianity is latin”, and of overestimating the influence of a very few in a very feudal and class-aware society like it was in the Dark Ages.

@F_alk:

@Jennifer:

I don’t think that the language of the “intellectuals” had too much influence on the people. Remember, that even many low-level priests were not able to speak latin and thus to understand what they actually “preached”.

Also, you should check when the bible was translated into native tongues. Greek is a native tongue and the language of earlier bible versions. There was a gothic version, even during the last west roman days.

I think you make the mistake of first saying “all christianity is latin”, and of overestimating the influence of a very few in a very feudal and class-aware society like it was in the Dark Ages.

Perhaps. I’ll have to look into it later a bit more.

• @marine36:

i took three years of Latin, and didnt learn squat, so in my opinion, its a dead language. :)

This from my fav brain dead Marine!

Who loves ya, m36!?! :)

Hoo-hah!

Any questions? See the capitalized word at the end of my first sentence above.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m