• '14 Customizer

I think it would be interesting if A&A had Coastal Guns in Normandy that could not move but could fire like AA fire for planes but against ships conducting barrages. What do you guys think of this?

• Maybe you should try this in the House rule forum.

• '17 '16

Do you mean something different that what 1914 develop:
    all Artillery units get a pre-emptive strike against all incoming land units during amphibious assault and before the regular combat rolls.

If you think something else, like a gun that can destroy any ship in a SZ during an amphibious assault, I suggest you put “coastal gun” in the Google search bar.
    There is plenty of discussion about it. You will find a lot of interesting ideas.

Nonetheless, I think your thread will be put into the abyssal House Rule Forum, if you want to discuss a distinctive feature which is not OOB.

Sorry,

• '14 Customizer

I guess  didn’t realize that a forum for this topic already existed.  :)

• '17 '16

@cyanight:

I guess  didn’t realize that a forum for this topic already existed.  :)

It can be an old one however.
    It doesn’t forbid you to start your own.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@cyanight:

I think it would be interesting if A&A had Coastal Guns in Normandy that could not move but could fire like AA fire for planes but against ships conducting barrages. What do you guys think of this?

Your dreams maybe coming true with Historical Board Gaming’s new Facility set coming. They are in the process of making 3D Coastal Guns for Axis and Allies Games due out this year. Go to axis and allies variant threads or go to Historical Board Gaming’s site to see pictures of it. :-D

• I would like to discuss the PRO’s andCONTRA’s of coastal Guns and even Strongholds in here, why not!??

Normandy wasn’t the only Stronghold or fortified barricade, there also was Simferopol/Crimea, Stalin line, Gustav line and so on…

A rule that states something like:

• If a Armour and a Art. has not been moved since the last three rounds,it may be transferred into a Coastal Gun in Normandy etc,etc…the same for the Crimea…
      -If a Armour and a Art. haven’t been moved in such and such it may be transferred in to a Stronghold, or equivalant…

What are your thoughts?

cyanight I like your idea.

• '17 '16

@aequitas:

I would like to discuss the PRO’s andCONTRA’s of coastal Guns and even Strongholds in here, why not!??

Normandy wasn’t the only Stronghold or fortified barricade, there also was Simferopol/Crimea, Stalin line, Gustav line and so on…

A rule that states something like:

• If a Armour and a Art. has not been moved since the last three rounds,it may be transferred into a Coastal Gun in Normandy etc,etc…the same for the Crimea…
      -If a Armour and a Art. haven’t been moved in such and such it may be transferred in to a Stronghold, or equivalant…

What are your thoughts?

cyanight I like your idea.

I think you don’t need it takes that much time, just let it be if at the beginning of the round, an armor and an art are still in the same territory at the end, you can convert them somehow. Think about building IC, AB, NB conditions (almost keep the same).
    Maybe it should start at the beginning of the third round of the game to represent the time needed after conquest to start building Atlantic Wall.

• Use your white AA gun for coastal guns. Then make a house rule. Have them hit on a 1 for preemptive shot. Remove causalty or assign a hit on 2 hit ships. Up to 2 or 3 max per coastal territory.

• '17 '16

@SS:

Use your white AA gun for coastal guns.

Good idea to recycle them.

• '17 '16

@SS:

Use your white AA gun for coastal guns. Then make a house rule. Have them hit on a 1 for preemptive shot. Remove causalty or assign a hit on 2 hit ships. Up to 2 or 3 max per coastal territory.

Or just consider them acting like a scrambled Fg or TcB in SZ but for 1 round only: D@3.
    Or
    Can also be taken as a 1 hit casualties after first round (like AAA).

• '14 Customizer

@John:

@cyanight:

Your dreams maybe coming true with Historical Board Gaming’s new Facility set coming. They are in the process of making 3D Coastal Guns for Axis and Allies Games due out this year. Go to axis and allies variant threads or go to Historical Board Gaming’s site to see pictures of it. :-D

This is what lead me to think about this. I got an email last weekend from HBG on their new sets and the one with Major and Minor ICs had those cool looking coastal guns.  My A&A set is very unique. I painted and put decals on every piece and added many pieces from HBG.  Also magnetized the Fighters, T.bombers and CV’s.  Anyone up for a game?  :)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@cyanight:

@John:

@cyanight:

This is what lead me to think about this. I got an email last weekend from HBG on their new sets and the one with Major and Minor ICs had those cool looking coastal guns.   My A&A set is very unique. I painted and put decals on every piece and added many pieces from HBG.  Also magnetized the Fighters, T.bombers and CV’s.  Anyone up for a game?  :)

I figured that is why you asked, but wanted to let you know about them in case you didn’t hear about it. :-)

• @aequitas:

A rule that states something like:Â

What are your thoughts?

Artillery and tanks are anti infantry weapons, they are not big enough to sink ships. If you google the Atlantic Wall, you will see that the Germans used the big guns from battleships and cruisers to build the Wall. So a better rule will be to transfer a warship into a Coastal Gun, preferably in the Purchase units phase.

As you can see from the attached pics, the coastal guns in the Atlantic Wall are turrets from German Cruisers

kystfortfrontimage.jpg
    4881151_1911836.jpg

• @Razor:

As you can see from the attached pics, the coastal guns in the Atlantic Wall are turrets from German Cruisers

Are those pictures of the famous Batterie Lindemann, which was made using some of the 16" guns that were manufactured for Germany’s laid-down-but-uncompleted H class battleships?

• That pic is of the 28 cm gun of KM Gneisenau, that was transferred to AustrÃ¥tt Fort north of Trondheim in Norway, when the ship was damaged in 1942. I am from Norway, mind you, and we still have a lot of this German WWII coastal guns all over our country. They were operational until 1968, but today they are museums

• '14 Customizer

Incredible.  Thanks for sharing.  I have never been to Norway but would love to visit someday.

• Norway has always been looking very attractive to me, even without coastal guns  :-).

As for special rules regarding those: balance! It will mostly hamper the allies so don’t forget to equally boost them somewhere if you HR coastal guns.

• @ItIsILeClerc:

As for special rules regarding those: balance! It will mostly hamper the allies so don’t forget to equally boost them somewhere if you HR coastal guns.

The allies already got Shore Bombardment, which somebody already claim is too strong. They may even get Marines and Paratroopers too. Then you have the typical axis strategy to vacate coastal territories, and build a counter attack force in a safe place. I figure only UK, Italy and some Japanese islands will ever see the Coastal Gun units, that is if HBG do make them.

• @Razor:

@ItIsILeClerc:

The allies already got Shore Bombardment, which somebody already claim is too strong. They may even get Marines and Paratroopers too. Then you have the typical axis strategy to vacate coastal territories, and build a counter attack force in a safe place. I figure only UK, Italy and some Japanese islands will ever see the Coastal Gun units, that is if HBG do make them.

Hmmmm, yes you are right. Forgot about the typical axis strategy  :wink:. Defending the typical coastal areas usually is wrong and I guess it will remain so, even with coastal guns.
    Italy however can be very hard to crack if it turtles up. I wonder how that wwould work out…
    :-D to Marines and Paratroopers!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m