• http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

EXCERPT
    Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:
    “The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne.”

it took five days for National Guard troops to arrive in strength on the scene in Homestead, Fla. after Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992. But after Katrina, there was a significant National Guard presence in the afflicted region in three.

Journalists who are long on opinions and short on knowledge have no idea what is involved in moving hundreds of tons of relief supplies into an area the size of England in which power lines are down, telecommunications are out, no gasoline is available, bridges are damaged, roads and airports are covered with debris, and apparently have little interest in finding out.

they libel as a “national disgrace” the most monumental and successful disaster relief operation in world history.

I write this column a week and a day after the main levee protecting New Orleans breached. _In the course of that week:

*More than 32,000 people have been rescued, many plucked from rooftops by Coast Guard helicopters.

*The Army Corps of Engineers has all but repaired the breaches and begun pumping water out of New Orleans.

*Shelter, food and medical care have been provided to more than 180,000 refugees._

Journalists complain that it took a whole week to do this. A former Air Force logistics officer had some words of advice for us in the Fourth Estate on his blog, Moltenthought:

"We do not yet have teleporter or replicator technology like you saw on ‘Star Trek’ in college between hookah hits and waiting to pick up your worthless communications degree while the grown-ups actually engaged in the recovery effort were studying engineering.

"The United States military can wipe out the Taliban and the Iraqi Republican Guard far more swiftly than they can bring 3 million Swanson dinners to an underwater city through an area the size of Great Britain which has no power, no working ports or airports, and a devastated and impassable road network.

…federal troops and Guardsmen from other states cannot be sent to a disaster area until their presence has been requested by the governors of the afflicted states.
    END EXCERPT

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I hope Haxorboy looks at this thread, since he’s questioning this exact evidence in the other thread.

• I hope you look at the timelines I posted as well…and really, this is from a opinion column from a guy recounting what one person’s view is, not basing it off factual timelines…enjoy your little story here, I bet I could post one quoting a national guardmen’s who has been through just as many hurricanes stating the response time was horrid, has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

Defiance in the face of incontroversial, abundant evidence will not win the arguement for you, Hax.

You could attempt to pull some Tribune stories or get some links from the Salvation Army. At least they reported it or participated in it on an organizational level from start to finish.

Or you could find a Michael Moore supporter who’ll spin it the way he wants and pull down 5 or 6 links off blogs. Hell, I could go find 20 or 30 blogs to say that materials were being covertly sent days before the hurricane hit from FEMA. I could also find links that a covert government agency who really runs the United States of America devised a method to intensify the storm, then forced the local governments to not evacuate in a vast conspiracy to see what would happen if one of our cities was hit with total disaster.

Doesn’t exactly make any of those theories true, though.

• No kidding, this is just a conservo blogger, painting a picture.

@stuka:

No kidding, this is just a conservo blogger, painting a picture.

I might be inclined to agree if CNN, Fox and ABC news medias were not reporting this exact thing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m