• …no, I meant that as far as MY playing goes, I am weakest as USA and USSR respectively. Sorry for the confusion…

Ozone27

• ozone I’m the anonymous, the reason i use two planes and the sub is because it makes for a gauranteed kill. with only the possible loss of a sub. see the transport still gets to defend at one, if I attacked with planes alone I might loose one, and I need them to trap germany. Where as if i attacked with my transort and sub or just my sub, i only have a very low success rate, and you can’t have the sub or transport get loose. danwatkins01@yahoo.com

• Oh, well yeah, sorry about the mix up too. But I really thought Russia and America would be the too easiest countries to play. If you’re Russia, just build inf. and the occasional arm. And if you’re America, just build inf. and transports with the occasional ftr. Knowing when and where to attack might be your problem, so it’s good to experiment with an odds calculator.

• Naah, my real problem is that I play better when I’m “on the ropes” than when I’ve got major momentum behind me. USA has a lot of money through most of the game, so I tend to spend cash willy-nilly and regret my purchases later. As USSR, I play well the first few turns, but once the Allies start going on the offensive I have an annoying tendency to lapse into inertia and continue “building up” against the Axis. I vastly prefer playing the Axis powers beacause of this, but (like everybody) am working to improve my weak areas.

As far as the attack vs. the Baltic Sea: I can totally see not wanting to risk a downed Soviet FTR on T1, but that German TR only gets a 1 for an attack–in my opinion its worth the risk to be able to put an extra ship in UK waters on Non Com. Just my opinion; everybody brings a different style to the table.

Ozone27

P.S. I’d like to mention that a good Germany player never forgets about the retreat option. If USSR has a TON of INF and Germany has a lot of ARM, he/she may decide it is in Germany’s best interest to attack Karelia in the hopes of a couple of good rounds w/ the ARM before retreating. This tactic is particularly devastating if USSR continues to languish in the 24-27 IPC income range while Germany takes over Africa and Japan swallows the Far East. Best defense: invest in a few ARM and stick it to him a few times before he sticks it to you.

[ This Message was edited by: Ozone27 on 2002-03-02 23:43 ]

• I think you guys misunderstand me. Thanks Dan for emailing me.

I dont mean take Finland and Ukraine on Turn 1. This would spread your forces too thin. I would attack Ukraine Turn 1, Finland turn 2, and sometimes even Eastern Europe turn 3.

• I do what Yanny does: Attack Ukraine first turn. It completely stalls the Germans. I leave like two or three infantry in the Ukraine and leave the rest from where they came from. Then every time Germany counter-attacks I counter-attack. Usually by turn three I can take Finland and East Europe. Then Germany’s fate is sealed as the UK lands in France, then after Japan’s turn, the U.S. lands even more manpower in France. Poor Germany.

• Its me again. I found a good statagy. on turn 1 send 4 infantry, 2 fighters, and 2 tanks. Attack Ukraine S.S.R. with it then if your fighters survive send them Kaleria.
    Turn 2. Attack Eastern Europe and finland with everything, Then even if Russia falls Germany will be almost defenceless.

• Russia restricted is a much use house rule. russia can hurt germany way too much in turn 1.

so, how about strategies for a restricted russia?

personally, in turn 1, i buy 8 infantry, put them all in karelia, keep one guy in cacasus (spelling!), and put all 4 tanks in Novorbirsk so they can retake karelia, or attack japanese holdings.

do you think ti would be smarter to put as mucht tanks in karelia, and counter attack against germany in turn 2?

• Way off the topic but yanny i really like you’re napoleon quote :smile:

• Yeah, I would rather place my tanks in Kerilia as it will boost the defence of the Motherland. Plus this gives Russia for a possible Ukraine/Eastern Europe offensive in T2. As for Japan? They usually don’t become a high threat to Russia until T2 or T3.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m