• @Jermofoot:

@frimmel:

@Young:

What I find really interesting is when Leonard asks “are we playing individual or teams?” which suggests that these actors don’t know the game at all, or they have some kind of interesting house rule.

It suggests neither the writers, nor the actors know the game. My guess is props gets sent a lot of geek stuff to use to decorate the set and the script called for playing a game that was either individual or team and A&A was close enough.

I’d certainly accept that theory, but could it possibly be for comedic effect?  An in-joke perhaps?

The joke would be “going to war” since that is what ends up happening, metaphorically, to Sheldon and Howard. Or representative of being at war.

Maybe the set had been on the shelves in the comic shop set for a couple of seasons now but was just unnoticed because it is background/off camera? Some props gopher/intern/lackey went to the game shop the day before and said, “I need a wargame?”

• Sponsor

The placement of each character is indicative of their regular seating plan on the show, and has nothing to do with the game board that is setup in front of them. Also, the dialog suggests that the characters haven’t made teams yet, however, that may not suggest that the characters haven’t declared their nation of choice. For example, the Russian pieces are in front of Howard and no where near Russia on the board, also… Howard is playing with a Russian warship piece in his hands which all suggests that he has chosen to play Russia. Sheldon is organizing the American and United Kingdom roundels, and the fact that the American pieces are positioned right in front of “his spot” as well as his wish to play on Howard’s team… automatically suggests that Sheldon will play America. Raj wants to play with Howard, although the plan was to play teams suggesting 2 against 2, but this is also contrary to the rules which state that in the event of a 4 player game, 1 player will play the axis, and the other 3 players will play the allies. Judging from the information of the 30 second cameo of A&A, Howard will play Russia, Raj plays UK, Sheldon plays USA, and Leonard plays the Axis. FYI… Playing on the same team as Sheldon would be hell, even if you win.

• @Young:

Sheldon plays USA […] Playing on the same team as Sheldon would be hell, even if you win.Â

This is funny because just last night I was watching a documentary DVD that spoke about Montgomery in much the same way, saying that no American general wanted to work with him because he had such a detestable character.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Given the dynamics of the show, it would’ve made more sense for Sheldon to play as the Axis since it’s another chance to put down the intelligence and skill of his friends all on his own. Plus he’s stated a desire to create a genetically superior offspring with Amy that would become part of a ruling class to guide/rule the world, so Germany is definitely up his alley.

• @General:

Given the dynamics of the show, it would’ve made more sense for Sheldon to play as the Axis since it’s another chance to put down the intelligence and skill of his friends all on his own. Plus he’s stated a desire to create a genetically superior offspring with Amy that would become part of a ruling class to guide/rule the world, so Germany is definitely up his alley.

You’re right

• @General:

Plus he’s stated a desire to create a genetically superior offspring with Amy that would become part of a ruling class to guide/rule the world

I’ve never seen the show, but this sounds like something of which Dogbert (in the Dilbert comic strip) would approve.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@General:

Plus he’s stated a desire to create a genetically superior offspring with Amy that would become part of a ruling class to guide/rule the world

I’ve never seen the show, but this sounds like something of which Dogbert (in the Dilbert comic strip) would approve.

Jim Parsons has won many many awards for his role as Sheldon, on a show that is approaching Sienfeld and Friends stature as staple pop culture television, so forgive me if I suggest that you live under a rock.

• @Young:

Jim Parsons has won many many awards for his role as Sheldon, on a show that is approaching Sienfeld and Friends stature as staple pop culture television, so forgive me if I suggest that you live under a rock.

What is this television device of which you speak?  Oh, wait, I think I know what you mean: that thing I use to check the Weather Channel at home two or three times a week, right?

On the other hand, I do spend an awful lot of time using the same video screen to watch (and re-watch) my DVD collection, which nobody here will be surprised to learn contains a rather large number of war movies and military documentaries.

• @Young:

:-)
    I know, in my senior year of college I was assigned to a team project with random people, and I got a very strange look from a girl on the team when she learned I’d never watched Seinfeld before (Spring 1997).
    A few years later, I found myself watching quite a few episodes of Seinfeld and I learned why I got the queer look

• @Gamerman01:

@Young:

:-)
    I know, in my senior year of college I was assigned to a team project with random people, and I got a very strange look from a girl on the team when she learned I’d never watched Seinfeld before (Spring 1997).
    A few years later, I found myself watching quite a few episodes of Seinfeld and I learned why I got the queer look

My brother and Dad watched it quite a bit.  I thought it was ok.  Would have been better but I found the characters to be irritating.

As far as Friends go, any warm blooded male born in the 80s or so was subjected to the show if they knew what was good for them.

• Official Q&A

My assumption is the script just called for a war game to be on the table and someone in the crew picked A&A (as Frimmel suggested).  Whether that was a random choice or that individual is a fan of the game is anyone’s guess.  I suppose it’s possible that the individuals or teams reference could have referred to the idea that each side could be played as a team effort rather then dividing the powers among individuals, but that seems unlikely.

In any case, I was happy to see the game featured in such a manner.  I’m a big fan of the show.

• @Krieghund:

…… and someone in the crew picked A&A (as Frimmel suggested).  Whether that was a random choice or that individual is a fan of the game is anyone’s guess.

Are you sure Larry Harris have nothing to do with this ?

• “Seinfeld” always goes like this for me: Berated for not watching “Seinfeld.” Watch an episode. Find it funny. Why don’t I watch more of this? Watch another episode. Hate everything about all the people in it and find nothing funny about it. I guess that’s why I don’t watch more of 'em.

Luckily it only took me three times before I quit.

• @frimmel:

“Seinfeld” always goes like this for me: Berated for not watching “Seinfeld.” Watch an episode. Find it funny. Why don’t I watch more of this? Watch another episode. Hate everything about all the people in it and find nothing funny about it. I guess that’s why I don’t watch more of 'em.

Luckily it only took me three times before I quit.

I know what you mean there.  Like Jermo said, the characters get irritating (Jerry, George, Elaine, Puddy…) but Kramer never got old for me  :-)
    The workplaces got old quick - they were so stupid and completely unrealistic I became unable to suspend reality for them.  :lol: Steinbrenner, Peterman, etc… Just so stupid!  :-) But I watched a lot of episodes 10 years ago

Anyway, still never seen 1 minute of Friends - guess I wasn’t watching TV during a lot of those years.  I have a feeling I didn’t miss much.  Seems like the characters are all well-to-do popular, cool types, so I feel out of place  :roll:
    I feel more comfortable around the funny dysfunctional, and apparently that’s true of a lot of people

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

But Seinfeld brought us a memorable Risk cameo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

I know the video with all the Risk segments is on YouTube, I can’t seem to find it though. Very appropriate now given current events as well.

• I LOVED that risk appearance.  Stupid Ukrainians!

• I love Seinfeld.

• I didn’t realize/remember that Newman was down to only a couple armies at that point.  Makes it even more funny/ridiculous that they are taking such effort to play the game on the subway when it’s completely over

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

I didn’t realize/remember that Newman was down to only a couple armies at that point.  Makes it even more funny/ridiculous that they are taking such effort to play the game on the subway when it’s completely over

A friend whom I play A&A with will argue that he has a fighting chance to win even if he’s down to 10 men and a few tanks, so I have to hammer him into submission even though the writing has been on the wall forever, so I know how Cosmo felt.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

In regards to the Big Bang Theory, I disagree with you all.  It’s a comedy show.  LOL.

I believe they DID know how the game plays.  Everyone here is being “too serious” about the game.  i.e., you’re all too close to the subject matter to find any humor in it.
    Asking “Individuals or teams?” is in-line with Leonard’s character, is it not?  Perhaps it would be a way of proving his intellectual superiority over the others or some such.  It is CLEARLY a team game, so when he suggests individuals…it’s a joke.  It isn’t in Leonard’s character to do too many team activities anyway.

Also, did not the Classic version have production stipulations where you could still declare an individual winner?  Thus the US player could “win” over the UK player; even though they were both on the same side they could compete.

I’m going to go find the episode now.  I believe had I seen it first-hand, I would have laughed at the joke instead assuming the cast/crew didn’t know anything about the game.  They knew enough to include it and write a few jokes about it, which is all that really matters.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m