Making new map. Need advice on improving quality.

• '13

Hey, i trying to create a map for a new board game that I’m making for myself. Its not the most professional made, with no naval borders drawn up, borders not complete and many details missing so its pretty roughdraft. If people could give advice, on how to improve the map borders or how to improve the “picture” so that its not pixellated when i print it, that would be very appreciative.

The game will be similar to the rules of axis and allies but set loosely in about 1720’s. There are no set alliances and only one nation can win the game by capturing 3 capitals.
    Cake.png
    WEFRWEFWEFW.png

• '14

what program are you drawing with? I use Photoshop. Also save your files in a high resolution to keep it from distorting, but this will make your file larger.

• '13

Ive been drawing it with mostly gimp and paint.net. I really wish i could use photoshop since ive used it before, but its very expensive.

Ive been trying to save it in a larger resolution but it just doesnt give satisfying results in gimp.

• Customizer

Who are the combatants? I recognize England, France, Spain, the Ottoman Empire and Russia.
    I was wondering about all those little countries that seem to be where Germany is now.
    Also, who are those two larger countries?
    1 > The red country that seems to occupy most of Western Russia
    2 > The tan country that seems to occupy Central Europe and Southern Italy

You mentioned it takes place roughly in the 1720s and I’m afraid I don’t know much about that period.

• '13

Those two countries are Polish Commonwealth and Austria. Austria just won a war with spain and gained naples, and belgium (flanders)

In total, playable countries are:
    Spain
    France
    Great Britain
    Ottoman Empire
    Austria
    Polish Commonwealth
    Russia
    And possibly Prussia

At the time germany was seperated into many princes under the holy roman empire. Technically the Austrians were emperor over them but it wasnt a very centralised rule.  They were pretty much independent, so i chose the ones that were pretty powerful, and gave them the land. Im trying to make rules that allow you to influence the minors in the game to perform actions for you such as move their armies to attack adjacent provinces. You can also just attack the minors and take the provinces for your own aswell.

• '14

If you want. Upload the file in Medicare and send me the link. Ill download it and save it as a ping. Should make it clear….I can also send it back to you in a pdf.

• '13

That would be great, ill try to finish it soon and send it to you.

• '13

Well turns out that my friend let me use his  photoshop. I redid it and now i have a nice quality complete map all complete with names, money values and sea borders… I dont think it would be wise to post it since its huge but its pretty similar to whats above.

Now what i want to do is print it off. I have another friend who owns a company that prints banners and advertisment stuff. Wondering what would be the best material to print my image out on. The file size is about 6 feet long by about 4 feet so it would be doable.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

We use a heavy outdoor vinyl for our maps. The kind that sign shops use for promotional banners etc. Really nice on larger maps. Don’t be scared to spend the extra money over paper as it is well worth it long term.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m