Question on Transport Planes

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

How many paratroopers are carried on a transport plane for the Global 1939 game? Is it one or two, because I didn’t see it in the rules?

Thanks,

John

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

One.

1 bomber carries 1 paratrooper  in combat or non combat
    OR
    1 bomber carries 1 regular inf in non combat.

Thanks I appreciate you answering my question!

I was curious why a transport ship carries two units, but the transport planes can only carry one, instead of two units?

Is it because the transport plane is smaller than the transport ship?

I was just wondering.

Thanks again for the answer!

John

As a game.mechanic it would be problematic if planes carried two.

Plus as you say, a squadron of ships could carry a hell of a lot more than a squadron of planes!

OK, that makes sense! Thanks again!

• Customizer

Guys,

––While Gargantua is completely correct, as he usually is, I just wanted to make a point:

----In any game that I play in,….a Bomber will NEVER be allowed to “air transport” anything!  :-o
    Not as long as we have highly detailed Air Transports available from HBG. Even if no HBG Russian, American, Japanese or German Air Transports were available,….I would write “Air Transport” on some tape, stick it on some aircraft turning them instantly and forever into Air Transports, and then proceed with the game.
    ----I don’t hold it against Gar, or anyone for that matter,  :-D …but I can’t fathom anyone EVER wanting or preferring to use Bombers for dual-service units when we have actual AirTransports available that are also beautifully detailed to boot!  IMHO, There should be distinct, different units that can “air transport”.
    ----Well, my ‘rant’ is over for the moment, anyway, haha.  :-D It’s just that I strongly feel that the “Air Transport” should be a separate and distinctly different unit and I don’t believe enough “conversation” has been focosed on the topic.

Respectfuly,
    “Tall Paul”

@Tall:

Guys,

––While Gargantua is completely correct, as he usually is, I just wanted to make a point:

----**In any game that I play in,….a Bomber will NEVER be allowed to “air transport” anything!**  :-o
    Not as long as we have highly detailed Air Transports available from HBG. Even if no HBG Russian, American, Japanese or German Air Transports were available,….I would write “Air Transport” on some tape, stick it on some aircraft turning them instantly and forever into Air Transports, and then proceed with the game.
    ----I don’t hold it against Gar, or anyone for that matter,  :-D …but I can’t fathom anyone EVER wanting or preferring to use Bombers for dual-service units when we have actual AirTransports available that are also beautifully detailed to boot!  IMHO, There should be distinct, different units that can “air transport”.
    ----Well, my ‘rant’ is over for the moment, anyway, haha.  :-D It’s just that I strongly feel that the “Air Transport” should be a separate and distinctly different unit and I don’t believe enough “conversation” has been focosed on the topic.

Respectfuly,
    “Tall Paul”

You noticed that the title did say transport plane?

I think he used bomber because some people may not have the HBG transport planes.

I do agree though that troops should be carried in transport planes, instead of bombers, and if someone doesn’t have transport planes, then they can do what you suggested.

Your right though, if someone can, they need to incorporate transport planes in their games. :-)

• Can airborne attack territories on their own with no ground unit support? Also, can you use only airborne to claim empty enemy territories?

• Customizer

ghr2,

@ghr2:

Can airborne attack territories on their own with no ground unit support? Also, can you use only airborne to claim empty enemy territories?

––Although I’m quite famiiar with the GW-39 rules I’m NOT an official rules guy. It’s my understanding that Paratroopers can attack & conquer ANY territory on the map via a Paratroop Drop.
    ----If I’m not mistaken, I believe it was a “House Rule” that stated that an enemy CAPITAL can only be conquered by Paratroopers working in a “Joint Assault” including other forces (land or amphibious).
    I, myself, think this is a logical and worthwhile “House Rule” that I will adopt.

“Death from Above”
    Tall Paul

Germany_green camo Air Transport (JU-52)-01LH.jpg
    Germany_green camo Air Transport (JU-52)-02LH.jpg

Paul has it 100% correct.

• Do they also have to start in a territory with an airbase?

Yes

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m