• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I know there are a number of hockey fans on these forums, both Canadian and American. I am just interested to see who is watching and what they think so far. It may be a little late to begin predictions since they could be overturned before we even get to say. There are a slew of elimination games today and I am looking forward to them.

My personal opinion:  the United States is the one team (remaining) in the tournament that actually seems like a team. They really gel and appear to play very well together. The Finns and Swedes have been okay in that respect too. The Canadians have been a major disappointment from all the hype though. With their talent they had been predicted or expected to absolutely annihilate their opponents… that has not happened. Even a 6-0 victory was not as dominant as you would think.

I think it rather unfortunate that it is incredibly likely that the US will play Canada in the semis. That might be anticlimactic, or it could be awesome if it means they win and then play the Russians in the final. Either way I am enjoying this immensely.

I would love for the US to win gold. The Russians would be my next choice since I do not want the whole team executed and it would be a feel good story for them. All I know is that I want Canada to fail… in the worst way. Too bad for Mike Babcock, since he coaches my team in the NHL, but they have had enough golds for a while.

• The shit pulled in Nagano turned me off rooting for USA except when playing Russian….that’s it…I’ll root for Kazahkstan over USA any day.

@Mallery29:

The ���� pulled in Nagano turned me off rooting for USA except when playing Russian….that’s it…I’ll root for Kazahkstan over USA any day.

To what are you referring?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well Finland just nuked Russia from the tournament. And canada is tied with Latvia 1-1 going into the 2nd period!!! -gulp-!

• Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
    All other countries are run by little girls.…@Mallery29:

The ���� pulled in Nagano turned me off rooting for USA except when playing Russian….that’s it…I’ll root for Kazahkstan over USA any day.

• Sponsor

Not a big fan of the way Canada has been playing overall, we won many international titles by being physical and that seems to missing over the past decade. Right now they’re in a 1-1 tie against Ted Nolan’s Latvia team, and with all the side stories between Ted Nolan and Canada’s assistant coach, Lindy Ruff, it could get very dramatic. I think Mike Babcock is making a big mistake by not replacing Sidney Crosby on the top line with John Tavares, an adjustment that should be made IMO. AS for the US team, they are definitely the gold medal favorites now that Russia is out and the way they have been playing up to this point. After the Americans, it’s a split between the last remaining teams Canada, Sweden, and Finland as the next best team so far. However, there’s still the powerhouse Latvians making a case to medal in Sochi. With all that individual skill and talent, the Russians still can’t play as a team, GO CANADA GO!

canada flag 3.jpg

@Gargantua:

Well Finland just nuked Russia from the tournament. And canada is tied with Latvia 1-1 going into the 2nd period!!! -gulp-!

Yeah, tell me about it. I wanted a gold medal rematch from Vancouver just to make the victory that much sweeter… but I suppose a semi-final match will have to do…  That is, if Canada can grit it out against LATVIA of all countries!!! Geez guys.

• Sponsor

So Canada VS, U.S.A, and Sweden VS. Finland… 2 big rivalries to set up the Gold medal game. Price will have to stand on his head for the Canadians to beat the Americans.

@Young:

So Canada VS, U.S.A, and Sweden VS. Finland… 2 big rivalries to set up the Gold medal game. Price will have to stand on his head for the Canadians to beat the Americans.

Price has been one of their best so far… wouldn’t worry about him. The forwards need to learn that you win by putting the puck in the net.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Price has been one of their best so far… wouldn’t worry about him. The forwards need to learn that you win by putting the puck in the net.

Even if the Canadian forwards explode for 5 goals, Carey Price will still need to be great against that American offense.

@Young:

Even if the Canadian forwards explode for 5 goals, Carey Price will still need to be great against that American offense.

Probably true… though I have been wondering if for some reason the Canadian team will have an easier time against the Americans because they are more familiar with them and they all play in the NHL so their styles should be similar, that sort of thing. I hope that is not the case, but it seems plausible. I mean, how long can Canada not score with all the guys they’ve got?

LOL…

The Lativian Goalie had to take “medical” breaks to avoid exhaustion.

What a bad a$$!

• To what are you referring?

Hoff, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/olympics1998/sport/hockey/articles/trash20.htm

Puck American Hockey players!  BTW, Russia was overrated….Did you not watch the 2010 Olympics and how Russia was supposed to be awesome??  Oh yea, Canada put 6 on them…And didn’t Canada start off 2010 slow?  Please remind me WHO won the gold?  I’m still saying Sweden v. Canada.

• Sponsor

Canada was facing a very suffocating euro style defense that the Americans will refuse to employ. Therefore, The Canadian forwards should see more run and gun chances, but so will the US. This game might come down to who can defend the odd man rushes better, and which goalie has the most ice in his veins. My prediction is Canada over the US 4-2 with an empty net goal.

I bet against the Fins during the WJHC, so I’m not making that mistake again… Finland VS. Canada for gold.

@Mallery29:

Hoff, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/olympics1998/sport/hockey/articles/trash20.htm

Puck American Hockey players!

Oookaaayyyy…. That was 16 years ago. None of the same guys are on the team, the team management is different too. I don’t know why an isolated incident like that would forever prevent you from supporting your country’s team. Seems a little overblown to me. Not to say that what they did was acceptable or in any way okay, but it wasn’t like they killed someone.

What about the story about the US swim team at the bottom of the article? Do you root against the USA swim team still too?

@Young:

Canada was facing a very suffocating euro style defense that the Americans will refuse to employ. Therefore, The Canadian forwards should see more run and gun chances, but so will the US. This game might come down to who can defend the odd man rushes better, and which goalie has the most ice in his veins. My prediction is Canada over the US 4-2 with an empty net goal.

I bet against the Fins during the WJHC, so I’m not making that mistake again… Finland VS. Canada for gold.

I am not really into making predictions, because literally anything could happen. That and my heart tends to speak for my head.

So I am saying (hoping for) US vs. Sweden gold medal game.

Really, it does not matter to me who the winner of the other game is. I always want the US to be crowned as champs fair and square, which should mean facing the toughest competition and winning. Looking strictly at the rosters, Sweden is the more formidable team, and one that was a favorite for gold at the outset. Seems like a victory over them will cement the US’s place as olympic champions; then having defeated Russia, Canada and Sweden… all three favorites for gold. However, the Finns have played so well that if they beat Sweden they obviously were better than them and deserve to play for the gold. Either one will be a worthy opponent.

Hopefully I do not get ahead of myself here.

• Sponsor

There’s one player that could change everything for the US, Sweden, and Canada…. Rask for Finland.

2-0 for the American girls in the 3rd for Gold.

@Young:

2-0 for the American girls in the 3rd for Gold.

Yeah, they utterly blew it in the 3rd… Almost as bad as TOR vs BOS. Terrible.

Overtime wasn’t so bad for a while… until the really garbage calls against the US. Seriously, were either of those call worthy? Really soft call with a slash on the Canadian goalie. Equally poor on the breakaway call. Crosscheck  :?.. please… In the replay, it looked like she barely even touched her, let alone cross-checked her.

Hey guys, do you hear a WAAAAAAAAH sound in the background?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m